Sponsored

Forced induction. Good or bad?

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
Not much info out there from the real world. Lethal was showcasing theirs but I haven't seen much in a long time. What am I missing. Is it just plain dumb to want to add to the voodoo engine? 3 supercharger systems available but where is the interest? Perhaps there is none.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nothing wrong with FI, especially for street driving, 1/4 or 1/8 mile strip racing or showing off massive power with burnouts.

There can be issues with FI on the road course related to intake heat or turbo lag. Also more weight - typically at the front of the car where you really don't want it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Feel like most people bought this car specifically wanting an NA car that revs. If I had the money to get one, my GT350R would never see a supercharger. Neither would my daily driver GT350... :)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
There is a blown motor on FB GT350 owners from forced induction. It is costing him an arm and a leg to have it rebuilt. Say no to FI!!! LOL I have always been an N/A car guy as fi is the easy way to go fast. I rather my skill and car capabilities reflect my speed on the road course.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
There is a blown motor on FB GT350 owners from forced induction. It is costing him an arm and a leg to have it rebuilt. Say no to FI!!! LOL I have always been an N/A car guy as fi is the easy way to go fast. I rather my skill and car capabilities reflect my speed on the road course.
I'm sure he can afford it. Some people have money burning a hole in their pockets. I applaud those who push the envelope on this motor and seeing how much power the stock motor can handle.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
He is fine with it, he lost the crank gear, which led to some additional damage in the head and OPG.

Moral of the story is build the portions of the engine that stress and vibration will destroy first.

I am still amazed at how many pro-chargers are running with stock Crank and OPG setups. Borrowed time in my opinion.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
He is fine with it, he lost the crank gear, which led to some additional damage in the head and OPG.

Moral of the story is build the portions of the engine that stress and vibration will destroy first.

I am still amazed at how many pro-chargers are running with stock Crank and OPG setups. Borrowed time in my opinion.
Did it get blown up on the dyno? Sounds like one in NE Ohio that Big 3 was working on.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
FPC have notorious vibration and harmonics issues. Cranking a bunch of load onto the end of the crank is probably not the best idea...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Falconetti

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPC have notorious vibration and harmonics issues. Cranking a bunch of load onto the end of the crank is probably not the best idea...
True but in your opinion is there a car that you would say "is" a good choice to supercharge? Are we dealing with simple statistics that say a certain amount of cars will fail when modified? idk. I was hoping to see some track performance with a forced induction gt350. I assumed that these things would be modified to no end just like its gt counterpart. I see supercharged gt cars online all day long but not the gt350 and that was just not what i expected so i wanted opinions.

I see superchargers for stock 5.4 f-150's and the old 4.6 mustangs, are these cars better candidates for forced induction that the voodoo?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
True but in your opinion is there a car that you would say "is" a good choice to supercharge? Are we dealing with simple statistics that say a certain amount of cars will fail when modified? idk. I was hoping to see some track performance with a forced induction gt350. I assumed that these things would be modified to no end just like its gt counterpart. I see supercharged gt cars online all day long but not the gt350 and that was just not what i expected so i wanted opinions.

I see superchargers for stock 5.4 f-150's and the old 4.6 mustangs, are these cars better candidates for forced induction that the voodoo?
They are far better choice, as are pretty much every engine out there. FPC are fickle and theirs a reason that they have never been supercharged by any race team or OEM. Turbo, sure, bit not supercharged. Plus supercharging is not as efficient and faces far more challenges when used on a road course. Theirs also a reason you don't see supercharged racecars on road courses.

OP
OP
Falconetti

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in you opinion supercharging may negatively impact the gt35o on a road course/track

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I personally wanted the N/A 5.2 voodoo as is. I think going FI would ruin the fun of driving this car. Now that said I've got a 15 GT/PP that's my toy car that is SC'ed.
As a post above mentioned, I don't want to fork out $25 k for a new voodoo, I blow up my coyote, I'm out what 8 grand??

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
in you opinion supercharging may negatively impact the gt35o on a road course/track
Supercharging a FPC engine is not a good idea, especially the Voodoo. Supercharging has many negatives and challenges on a road course, cooling the intake charge, adding a lot of weight up high and forward on the car (heavy supercharger on top of the engine) is bad for handling.
Sponsored