Sponsored

First oil change, which oil do you recommend for EcoBoost?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Just use Ford recommended oil
I'm not saying the Ford recommended oil isn't sufficient, I'm saying your statement that, "it really doesnt make much of a difference what type of oils you use" is very inaccurate.
Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
I'm not saying the Ford recommended oil isn't sufficient, I'm saying your statement that, "it really doesnt make much of a difference what type of oils you use" is very inaccurate.
I have yet to see any concrete evidence showing that ie castrol is better then amsoil, or any brand is better then any other brand.

Which is why I am hesitant is saying that one is better then the other, thats why I recommended in the first place, to use the ford recommended oil

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to see any concrete evidence showing that ie castrol is better then amsoil, or any brand is better then any other brand.

Which is why I am hesitant is saying that one is better then the other, thats why I recommended in the first place, to use the ford recommended oil
I agree when you're talking about some of the best names like Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil but you can't just say it doesn't make a difference what type of oil you use. The are some that are actually harmful in GDI engines.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
I agree when you're talking about some of the best names like Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil but you can't just say it doesn't make a difference what type of oil you use. The are some that are actually harmful in GDI engines.
please give me an example.

And I should have been clearer in my post, it doesnt matter what brand of oil you use, as long as its not some no name knock off garbage (but i figured that was a given, considering all the posts before mine listed pretty reputable brands and my comment was saying that the ones previously listed are all very similar)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
please give me an example.

And I should have been clearer in my post, it doesnt matter what brand of oil you use, as long as its not some no name knock off garbage (but i figured that was a given, considering all the posts before mine listed pretty reputable brands and my comment was saying that the ones previously listed are all very similar)
I don't remember the exact but the entire discussion was here on the forum more than a year ago. I want to say one of them was Redline but don't quote me on that. There were some with high levels of something in particular that were especially harmful and they were actually respected brands of oil. If you want more information on it, Google: Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injected Motors and you'll learn a lot. I was new to GDI in general with this platform and was a learning experience for me. I did the research, came up with an oil I felt performed well and have stuck with it.

Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
I don't remember the exact but the entire discussion was here on the forum more than a year ago. I want to say one of them was Redline but don't quote me on that. There were some with high levels of something in particular that were especially harmful and they were actually respected brands of oil. If you want more information on it, Google: Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injected Motors and you'll learn a lot. I was new to GDI in general with this platform and was a learning experience for me. I did the research, came up with an oil I felt performed well and have stuck with it.
"There is some oil with something in it, that is bad for the engine"

Like i said, follow the manual and yes my statement was incorrect not ALL oils are the same. However, realistically 99% of the time you will be fine if you use a trusted brand name. It is an exception not the rule, dont take my words out of context.

I am often guilty of this too, but we need to stop taking forum posts as the correct answer and written rule. It is a forum, many people that post on here are knowledgeable, many are not. Would be great if we could have our credentials as our signatures LOL, to see which posts we should weight more when making a decision.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

"There is some oil with something in it, that is bad for the engine"

Like i said, follow the manual and yes my statement was incorrect not ALL oils are the same. However, realistically 99% of the time you will be fine if you use a trusted brand name. It is an exception not the rule, dont take my words out of context.

I am often guilty of this too, but we need to stop taking forum posts as the correct answer and written rule. It is a forum, many people that post on here are knowledgeable, many are not. Would be great if we could have our credentials as our signatures LOL, to see which posts we should weight more when making a decision.
It does matter what oil you use. Ford lists an oil spec for our engine all over the Internet and in your owner's manual for a reason. Technically, if you use a non-Ford spec oil for your particular engine, it can void the warranty on your motor. How much would that suck for not paying attention?

That spec for our Ecoboost is WSS-M2C946-A. Make sure that is listed on the bottle or quart of oil. Yes, it doesn't matter what oil you use as long as the bottle says "meets spec WSS-M2C946-A."

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I get my Mustang serviced at the number 1 Roush dealership in the world every 3k miles. I asked if I should use full synthetic and they nope, use the recommended oil from Ford. I asked again, pressing him on the benefits of full synthetic and again he recommended sticking with the Ford recommended oil.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I get my Mustang serviced at the number 1 Roush dealership in the world every 3k miles. I asked if I should use full synthetic and they nope, use the recommended oil from Ford. I asked again, pressing him on the benefits of full synthetic and again he recommended sticking with the Ford recommended oil.
Dude, what a waste. An oil change every 3k? Wow!

Yellowboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
I use mobil one full synthetic every 5k miles. First oil change at 1600 miles.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Dude, what a waste. An oil change every 3k? Wow!
I work from home so it takes a long time to hit 3k. I am 2 months shy of my 2 year anniversary and just hit 9k so I have had only 2 oil changes in 2 years. I will be scheduling my 3rd in the next couple of weeks.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I work from home so it takes a long time to hit 3k. I am 2 months shy of my 2 year anniversary and just hit 9k so I have had only 2 oil changes in 2 years. I will be scheduling my 3rd in the next couple of weeks.
Ahhh. Gotcha. That makes sense then. I'd do the same in your boat. I thought you were racking up the normal 15k a year and doing 3k mile oil drain intervals.

Although I don't use the Motorcraft Syn Blend anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for at least 5k miles.(Normal yearly driving, 15k miles a year).

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Does he also recommend using 87 gas in our cars since that's what ford recommends?

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Does he also recommend using 87 gas in our cars since that's what ford recommends?
I have read that ford recommends 91-93 for the full rated power. I dont have the manual infront of me so I cant double check, exactly what the manual says.

There is also nothing wrong with running 87 in your car
Sponsored