First oil change and analysis

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Greetings. I changed the OE oil at 986 miles and had an oil analysis done. High copper and silicon but everything else good. Typical for first change. I specifically asked them to tell me the OE oil weight and it IS 5W-20. I really only changed because I expected that the oil might be more contaminated, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Replaced the oil with Motorcraft 5W-20 bottled oil. Happy, so far.
20191210_210525.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
CS19

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
You're welcome. I expected the high copper from valve guide wear (32 guides) but I was a bit surpised when the aluminum, chromium and iron were lower than the universal standard for that engine. The salesman ran it hard for 12 miles (pissed me off when he admitted it it). I took it into the mountains and pushed it on the hills to seat the rings, so I cant say things were easy on the engine but I believe I did seat the rings, properly.
I replaced the OE oil with bottle 5W-20 Motorcraft and I'm going to analyze the oil, again, later. Engine is extremely quiet at 1800 miles, change was at 986 miles.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
@CS19 : Thank You for the thread and posting your analysis.

In April, I completed Skye's first oil change. I sent a sample to Blackstone; they received the sample on 03 Apr and completed it today, 15 Apr 2023. Attached is the report, which is very similar to the OP's. Accounting for the additional mileage (900+ vs 1200+), they are near identical.

Two elements were higher-than-normal: copper and silicon. For a factory-fill, newly broken-in engine, Blackstone considers these higher readings normal.

Along with the OP's analysis, I've found postings of other Ford engine owners, low mileage or recently broken in, reporting higher-than-average copper.

One analysis does not a trend make. The expectation is, over time, readings will stabilize. See the Blackstone comment, which says it could take another oil change or two for things to come in-line with the Blackstone baseline amounts (engine at aprox 5,000 miles / 8,000 km).

While copper can be removed from mechanical wear, it can also be leached from the copper surface itself. Below are references explaining "passivation", a normal reaction which occurs when engine oil meets new copper parts.

Three other elements interest me: molybdenum (piston ring break-in? break-in assist lube?), boron, (factory fill engine protection?) and manganese (assist with break-in?). No concerns. I want to study their purpose and being in engine oil.

Also attached is a file explaining my engine break-in process, what I did that first 1,000 miles, 1600 km.

The factory oil and filter have been changed to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 with a Fram XG-10575 filter.

I've had 0 issues of any kind with the car. All checks and conditions have been nominal. Oil consumption has been 0. Temperatures normal. Fuel mileage (LOL) normal. Start-up, run, stop, etc., all normal.

Explaining Copper Passivation

Explaining Higher-Than-Expected Copper (Only) In Oil Sample

https://stratson.eu/high-copper-levels-used-oil-analysis/

"Copper is a soft malleable metal that is used in a wide variety of applications. It is non-abrasive and helps prevent wear. The appearance of Copper in a used oil analysis should not be cause for alarm or repair unless other abrasive wear metal such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels. There are several possible sources for high Copper levels. Leaching as mentioned before from oil coolers, leaks from cooling systems, external contaminates, an oil additive, or from excessive wear. In all of these cases, other metals, materials and contaminates will be present."

skye oil analysis.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
To compliment the thread, the attached explains the different elements seen in a sample.

Attachments

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wow, you guys donā€™t get TAN and TBN? Thatā€™s the first things I want, not the last. The contents are cool and all, but TAN with TBN paint a better picture of the health of the oil. I could copy and paste some random links, but sure you guys can find it. I suggest reading that and ordering. If youā€™re basing your oil change interval on a report, you need these. And these guys will do a great job of explaining how the numbers add in if you do order it. Itā€™s with the extra $$$. I have a ā€˜02 5.4 F150 I do 10K mile oil changes solely based off Blackstone (as you should) and thatā€™s from the TAN/TBN as much as any other number.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I still do it because the ā€œoil life monitorā€ doesnā€™t actually monitor oil life, right?? It has no clue what shape your oil is in. If you took the 5W20 with 10K miles on it out of my truck and put that in your car to start, and reset your OLM, youā€™d end up with the exact same results. It would begin its normal countdown. You donā€™t know what itā€™s doing until you get an analysis. I mean sure, Iā€™ll agree itā€™s making some very educated assumptionsā€”but assumptions just the same.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Having broken in the engine with 5W-20, I use 5W-30 Winter and 5W-40 Summer. Upon reading a feedback this forum I ran 10W-30 for 3,000 miles and just changed back to 10W-40. Yes, 10W-30 runs quieter but acceleration is not as good as 5W weights.. My quick trip to Sam's Club with 5W-40 felt light and the smooth and faster acceleration came back.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
but acceleration is not as good as 5W weights.. My quick trip to Sam's Club with 5W-40 felt light and the faster acceleration came back.
Please tell me you donā€™t actually believe this. Or show dragy/timer data backup your ā€œfeelingā€ that the start up viscosity is changing your acceleration rate.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
All I can say is I felt it run better, faster acceleration. With 10W-30 felt labored.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Copper and Silicon also in my early analysis. This was an extended run after changing the original oil at 3,000 miles.
I typically get TBN/TAN evaluations, but for different reasons. I usually run a mixture of Redline Race oil with Redline street. The Redline has a tendency to show higher acid levels and with less detergent than typical oils, it won't necessarily go as far before needing to be changed. I'm also a believer in running engines through the full rpm range right out of the box.

Oil Analysis - MUSTANG-230623-screened.png

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
This thread is nice to display and detail what goes on within a new engine or the results of an analysis. Attached are some recent findings to add to that.

Several commented of a flushing effect present in any new engine. That can be seen in the attached. Contaminants leftover from machining, the build itself and break-in, take several oil changes to be removed. Even when draining the oil and removing the filter, there's still .5 quart / .47 liter plus of oil left in the engine. If a cooler is being used, more still.

The analysis highlights the lessening presence of the factory fill and the arrival of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I believe it's a good idea to select one brand of oil and stick to it. The results show what all goes into designing an oil.

Attached is a photo of the UPR drain plug, installed during the first oil change. The material on the plug was quite course and black. Reminded me of piston compression rings, but it's mix of leftovers and the internals shedding material. Happy to see it. It confirms the components are wearing in. I expect to continue to see material, but in lesser amounts and/or finer particles.

Some requesting oil analysis might be on a compressed timeline. From drop-off to results, mine took five weeks. Last year, it was a bit over two. Tracking the package, this sample took three days to reach Indianapolis. Then, it sat for two weeks before reaching Blackstone. There's a heavy construction project between Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne. I assume USPS has changed its schedules to compensate. Once the pile arrives at Blackstone, they could have a large group of samples to work off, versus the smaller batches previously.

skye oil analysis 2023.jpg

skye upr 001.jpg

skye upr 002.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: