Sponsored

First Ding

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Dammit!
Took delivery in Feb of 15, and still have only 9K miles. Managed to avoid any real paint damage until a few days ago. I'm pretty sure it happened at work, though I can't be certain. Was running late to a meeting and broke my own parking rules by parking between two cars (1 of which was a beater and suspect #1).
It's on the top of the driver's side door, just above the crease. The dent is small and only noticeable in the right light, there are also a few, small scratches.

It's small enough that I think I might be able to pop it out myself. I have one of these dent repair kits at home. Anyone have any experience with these and/or tips for applying touch up paint to tiny areas?
Unfortunately, there's more where that came from!

After about 1 year and 9 months of ownership and 26k miles, I have my fair share. I always try to park as far away from people as possible but unfortunately there's just no avoiding it. It's going to happen.

I have 1 or 2 tiny dings on the doors. There not even dented really, just tiny chips. It's just A-holes that absolutely do not care. It's definitely maddening.

Then again, my first real ding (and probably the worst of the bunch) was actually caused by me like 2 months after I bought it! I was walking around the car while it was sitting in my garage and brushed against a big broom I had hanging on the wall. Apparently the handle, which has the hole at the top which is what I had it hanging from, is poorly glued to the barrel of the broom. Everything but the little plastic handle dropped to the floor and then swung over directly into the rear fender, above the rear wheel. It all happened in super slow-mo too, as these things typically do. I have not fixed any of them yet. Not sure if I will either. They bother me but they're not that bad and I know that another one is just around the corner.

My biggest issue is actually with the front fascia. Directly to the right of the larger (top) grill, in the thin part that's painted, I must've hit a rock or pebble at a pretty good speed. Somehow it not only chipped the paint (Triple Yellow) leaving the black plastic, but it actually popped some of the plastic out. It's hard to explain. I'll have to get a picture. I have no idea how that happened.
Sponsored

Given To Fly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Limited
This is very similar to the "Ding King" set I have. if the glue will come off pretty easily, I'll probably try it. Figure worst case, I could buff/clay bar any residue.
I'd imagine the glues are similar. The glue with my unit just rolls off the car with your thumb.

Trick: Pour a little water over the fresh hot glue and it will kick quicker allowing you to pull faster.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Update: The "Ding King" kit worked reasonably well! The dent was pretty small to begin with, but kind of sharp. After 3 pulls with the kit, it's now barely visable, even to me.

90% of the scratch also buffed out easily.

Result!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Darn beater, I bet money it was the beater, it just had to be the beater, those darn beaters are everywhere and are the scourge of the earth and fancy mustangs everywhere. :D

Terry :ford:

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Been using Dr ColorChip for a good minute now and it's worked out perfectly well. Still got the kit in the garage. Takes me < 5 minutes to touch up a scratch now and blends in just fine.

Sponsored

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
I got my first chip 2nd day in, and after swarms of dead bugs in my grille.. I gave up caring and just kept on driving.

You got to pay a price for the look and power... and chips/dead bugs is where it's at.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I got a couple rock chips my first week in, back in May. I spent a saturday morning re-acquainting myself with driving a manual after 11 years and of course we got a nice surprise windstorm blowing a bunch of shit across the street. I got a chip during the drive out to CA in July, but I rather expected to have a few badges earned for a road trip like that. That trip got me one extra rock chip, a rock chip in my windshield I had to fill in, and camping that week in the Sierras got me some sap that hardened up after a week of me getting home and just not having the time of day to detail and clean the car like I needed to because our house sold quick sale cash while I was gone and had a week to move out, and my job was still working me 14 hour days of overtime because our supervisor is a douche that likes to delegate 80-90% of his own responsibilities to the rest of us so he can kick back in his office and collect a paycheck. Barely had time to even get out of my house, let alone clean my car. So, there's definitely a few spots where some dried tree sap left it's mark regardless of how hard I worked at it with bug/tar remover and a claybar. That's the joy of black paint.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
It's a constant struggle against damage! My 2nd car is in the shop, so I've been commuting more in the mustang lately.

Rock Chips suck, but usually they're not too noticeable as long as they stay confined below the bumper. In other cars, I've had rocks seemingly fall out of clear, blue sky, then roll up the hood. That's the worst.

Might purchase a color chip kit myself, I'm sure I'll need it!

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
i got a ding in my shop,wrench flew out of my hand and hit the quarterpanel
Ford sheetmetal is thin bro very thin..I was able to touch it up and now you have to look for it hard

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
i got a ding in my shop,wrench flew out of my hand and hit the quarterpanel
Ford sheetmetal is thin bro very thin..I was able to touch it up and now you have to look for it hard
Lol something similar happened to me too. I was using a flash light for something in the trunk and the flash light dropped from out of my hands and chipped the bumper. Must have fell from like 2 inches.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
We're all pretty fortunate that this type of thing can be considered an issue. I get it. But take a second and realize how crazy this would sound to a huge portion of the world's population. 1st world problems.... We're all very fortunate to drive such nice cars...even with a small dent or two.

OP
OP

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
We're all pretty fortunate that this type of thing can be considered an issue. I get it. But take a second and realize how crazy this would sound to a huge portion of the world's population. 1st world problems.... We're all very fortunate to drive such nice cars...even with a small dent or two.
Agreed, good point:thumbsup:
Sponsored