Filter options for Ford Performance GT350 intake

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I got this idea from [MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] and wanted to share some details. The GT350 intake that comes with the Ford Performance Performance Pack for the ecoboost comes with a non-washable paper filter. As it comes time to replace them, you might want to consider other options. Since it is an open element, it is subjected to more dirt than the stock filter so a washable one is a good idea. Also for those that just like to keep them as clean as possible. Additionally for those with Ram Air, you may want to consider resistance to water. Here's a couple options:

Ford Performance lists the AIRAID filter with their part number M-9601-G for a blue non-oiled SynthaMax dry filter. If you'd rather order it from AIRAID or one of their distributors, here are some of the choices:

860-399 = Red SythaFlow oiled filter
861-399 = Red SynthaMax non-oiled filter
862-399 = Black SynthaMax non-oiled filter
863-399 = Blue SynthaMax non-oiled filter

Oiled filters are a little better at catching dirt and are more water resistant but some don't like the possibility of oil coming through the intake, exaggerated if the filter was over-oiled. It's especially bad if your car uses a MAF sensor as it can contaminate the filament and cause incorrect readings making your engine run lean. With oil on the filament, it senses less air coming in and provides less fuel. The same amount of air is coming in and the mixture is lean. The US Ecoboosts don't have that problem as they use a MAP sensor rather than a MAF to meter the air. The SynthaMax dry filters can also be cleaned and don't use any oil. When washing just about any washable filter, you don't want to use forced air to dry them as it can damage the filters. It's a good practice to buy a pair of them so you can just swap in the clean filter and go through a slower, better cleaning and drying of the filter before use unless your car can sit for at least a day.

If you're concerned about water/moisture or you just want to help keep the filter clear of more dirt and debris that can come through the air inlet, a pre-filter works well. Outerwears makes a great pre-filter that is water resistant and will keep dirt from getting lodged into those little nooks in the filter making it much easier to clean. Plus it's MUCH easier to clean the pre-filter. You should still clean the filter but it reduces the frequency significantly. Part numbers that fit the above listed AIRAID filters are:

20-1097-01 = Black
20-1097-02 = Blue
20-1097-03 = Red
20-1097-04 = Yellow
20-1097-05 = Orange
20-1097-07 = Purple
20-1097-11 = Lime Green
Sponsored

Drag Limited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Did I read that correctly, if your mustang ecoboost has the performance pack then it has a different intake from the factory?

Yellowboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
Yes, it gets replaced with the gt350 intake that fit at least my car like crap, but I got it on.

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Did I read that correctly, if your mustang ecoboost has the performance pack then it has a different intake from the factory?
The Ford Performance performance pack is different from the factory performance package. The factory performance package does not include a different airbox or intake.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Considering the posts as of late, this was refreshing.... something useful.

Thanks for putting in the work...:thumbsup:

I did not realize the filters were so expensive... although, now I have something else to obsess about: what color to get!!!! :D

Sponsored

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Based on the measurements of the filters from the Summit Racing site, I believe this Green Filter will fit too.

https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/7201

It's shorter, but the inlet diameter seems to match. The base is the same width, the top slightly wider, but it's 1.25" shorter. Not sure if that would really make a difference. I don't think the filter surface area would be that far off.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
sub'd

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score