Sponsored

Exhaust valve stuck

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
Just an FYI: Don't shut the car off with exhaust in sport (valves open) if the weather is cool. Just had the right side stick open at 550 miles on the car and it looks like it will need to be replaced.

Seems as thought the pipe and valve dont have the same thermal expansion rates... tolerances...:frusty:

Update: a local dealership too the exhaust down and one of the techs thought of taking the motor for the exhaust valve off to re-home the position sensor. Worked great and now it works better than when I got the car. Made me realize what I was missing. Quiet is so smooth and loud is hilariously loud. Good job ford
Sponsored

Last edited:

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
I hope they both stick, tired of resetting it to what SHOULD be "NORMAL" mode (which they call "sport")

OP
OP
mephim

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It actually stops me from being able to get out of Normal mode.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had my exhaust valve stick today. It was about -6 F. I had the car in a heated garage at about 30F. Got in the car, short drive across town maybe 2 miles. Not enough to warm the car up. Had breakfast and then got in the car. I turned sport mode on and it opened up. Then a couple blocks later I realized it got quiet. I flipped the switch and it showed sport mode, but it was quiet and it wouldn't switch back to regular mode (at least it showed it was in sport mode, but the exhaust was still quiet). I had a long highway trip so I felt lucky it stuck in quiet mode.

Later in the trip it was about 20 F and I was in some slow traffic so I flipped the switch and the exhaust modes are working perfectly again.

I won't hold it against Ford if the thing doesn't work perfectly in below zero weather.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
question, if you turn it off in sport does it start back in sport next time?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
question, if you turn it off in sport does it start back in sport next time?
No. It defaults to quiet mode every time you start the car.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
No. It defaults to quiet mode every time you start the car.
and reverts back to normal drive mode with the soft damper tuning which is a bit annoying. Unless the pavement is really bumpy I change to sport.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
and reverts back to normal drive mode with the soft damper tuning which is a bit annoying. Unless the pavement is really bumpy I change to sport.
I've tried the track shock mode a few times and I won't use it unless I'm at the track. Nice to have the options available though. I agree I would prefer to have the car keep settings rather than resetting every time the car is shut down.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I haven't crawed under the car to check yet but are these valves electric or something else? If they are electric and without a spring, I'm hoping they can maybe be unplugged while open and can stay that way. You can do this with the BMWs.

OP
OP
mephim

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't crawed under the car to check yet but are these valves electric or something else? If they are electric and without a spring, I'm hoping they can maybe be unplugged while open and can stay that way. You can do this with the BMWs.
It is indeed electronically controlled. The valves are driven by a small DC motor placed just over the inner exhaust pipe exit.

My issue was that the home position on passenger side was never correct from the factory.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
There was a really cool device that I had for one of my Cobras for the traction control. Just like most cars, the traction control would reset to on after every ignition cycle. The device plugged in-line with the switch to remember its state and would press the button automatically on startup if that was its last state.

I'm not sure what can be done with these cars nowadays since I'm sure it's entire software driven, but it would be really sweet to have a device like this to "sticky" your drive mode.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
GT350 should ideally come with a track key that tweaks exhausts and dampers on startup like the BOSS 302 did

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT350 should ideally come with a track key that tweaks exhausts and dampers on startup like the BOSS 302 did
It probably will be available at some point.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor

noting that track key did not take effect immediately upon startup...it took a few minutes for the car to properly warm up before enabling trackey mode.
I hope they do it for the 350. I had my boss trackey programmed about a week after I got the car and I've never used the black key since.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It seems to me that IDC offers the TracKey features and more (minus lopey idle) a la carte. I doubt they will offer TracKey. I think the aftermarket FlexFuel tune is much more interesting, especially for those of us who are stuck with 91 octane and, thus, sub-526 hp output.
Sponsored