Sponsored

EV or Hybrid Mustang in the future? What do you think?

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I have zero interest in an electric vehicle unless it has range similar to a gas vehicle AND can be charged (or battery swapped) just as quickly as I can pump gas. Also, people talk about Tesla acceleration, but I never hear any lap times.

A hybrid, I might consider. A plug-in could get me to work and back on battery, but still have the gas engine for longer drives or when you really want to have fun. If it performs just as well as the current Mustang but is cheaper to drive, you have my interest. But, how much more will it weigh with batteries and motors? With motors for low end, you could change the gas engine to something smaller that revs high enough to get the same power, and that would offset a little weight but I don't know how much. How do regen brakes work on track?

I think I'd rather just keep it close to what we have, maybe going with a smaller v8 and turbos like others have suggested. I'm open to the hybrid idea, I just don't want to compromise performance and don't want to pay more money for it.
Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I have zero interest in an electric vehicle unless it has range similar to a gas vehicle AND can be charged (or battery swapped) just as quickly as I can pump gas. Also, people talk about Tesla acceleration, but I never hear any lap times.

[ame]

rimbambito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Black PP
100% torque from the start and basically winded by the end of the run. The Mustang was still climbing.

A hybrid Mustang might be a lethal weapon but it would need to be AWD to put down all that torque.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Maybe the Mustang will eventually go from "Muscle" car to "SUPER" car...:shrug:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I'm just going with please NO don't do it!!!

Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
That is pretty awesome, but I get the feeling you misunderstood my comment. My point was 0-60 (and even 1/4 mile) is fine and all, but show me that you can maintain all the rest of the performance a Mustang has. Are there any mass produced, daily driver EVs which can outrun a PP GT for say, 5 laps around Laguna Seca or Road America? Are they in the $35k range? I remember when a Tesla S couldn't even make it half way around the Nurburgring without hitting limp mode.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Maybe it already has, I haven't really paid much attention to EVs.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
If the hybrid Mustang is anything like the BMW i8, wild horses couldn't drag me away. Pardon the pun. ;)
Tesla isn't bad either. I'm open to change and new things. Heck, I have an ecoboost turbo. :thumbsup:

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I took a couple day to sleep on it. Still not sure what I think. The rubber meets the road for me on value and keeping with the power/muscle tradition. I suppose I could do a hybrid if it sounded good. It will be law at some point I guess. I don't like the idea of all electric though. Now the soap box...lol. Every thing is becoming fake! I don't want fake news, fake celebrities, fake friends, fake women, fake politics, fake religions, fake foods, and on and on (yes, its a lonely world). I certainly don't want fake engine/exhaust sound!

OP
OP
Dary

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I took a couple day to sleep on it. Still not sure what I think. The rubber meets the road for me on value and keeping with the power/muscle tradition. I suppose I could do a hybrid if it sounded good. It will be law at some point I guess. I don't like the idea of all electric though. Now the soap box...lol. Every thing is becoming fake! I don't want fake news, fake celebrities, fake friends, fake women, fake politics, fake religions, fake foods, and on and on (yes, its a lonely world). I certainly don't want fake engine/exhaust sound!
I hate to break it to you but your GT350 pumps fake engine/exhaust sound through the speakers.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Nice prediction [MENTION=10502]Dary[/MENTION]. Now help me with my lotto #'s.

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I hate to break it to you but your GT350 pumps fake engine/exhaust sound through the speakers.
I know. Partially, but I know my 350 ain't pumping the resonator delete through my speakers. Bike riders , poodle walkers, jogging soccer moms, and church folk ain't falling over when I drive by because what's coming out the speakers.
:cheers:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I wouldn't buy a car that requires charging, maybe in 20 years

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Some of the pros and cons right off the top of my head:

EV Pros
Instant torque
No (local) emissions
No gearbox
No drive shaft
No typical maintenance
Lower gravity center (if battery placed at the bottom same as Tesla Model S)
Less drag

EV Cons
Giant weight penalty
$20K battery needs to be replaced after 5 years
Expensive
Lower range
Longer time to “refuel”
Not as fun as ICE?
Not load enough - fake sound will not do it for me

PS: did you watch the new dual motor Tesla doing 0-60 in 3.2 s?
Did you see the Lightning Lap writeup for the Tesla? The one where it had significantly slowed by the end of the first (not so fast) lap?

Have you seen Formula E, where they switch CARS instead of refueling, because refueling would take hours?

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Being I'm 46yrs old, I've seen so many tech innovations in my life. The birth of the microwave oven, cell phones, computers, to the modern flat screen TV. I've seen the progress of the hybrid car, and they have come a long way, but I'm not buying a high performance electric vehicle! The Tesla is cool innovative and yes fast, but other than a novelty car I have no interest.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Maybe the Mustang will eventually go from "Muscle" car to "SUPER" car...:shrug:
Ive been saying we're in the middle of this transition already. First started with aesthetics on the S550 now finishing with internals. The mustang will eventually be considered an entry-level super car. Sounds funny at first, but when you really think about it and market a super car to the masses with the most up to date technology and options you've got yourself a big hit for the average joes budget. Just my opinion hopeful for the future we'll see what ford does.
Sponsored