engine rattle after oil change

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
So what did you find out? My Voodoo is making the same noise after warmed up, if shut down for approx. 30 mins and restarted. Rattle eminates from the pass-side front and lasts for approx. 2 secs. Local Ford tech says its an oil leak from a timing chain tensioner so the sound stops once the oil P is returned. My research yields much caution continuing to drive (even after the rattle dissapears) since bits "down stream" are losing much-needed lub.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I am also curious what this is. I hate to say it , but oil pressure low is not a good sign. Either lack of oil, oil pump gone, or faulty oil pressure sensor. From your description of noise, most likely oil pump; and that takes the whole engine with it when it goes.

Good luck and keep us updated!

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
, most likely oil pump
In over 50 years of driving and racing hot rod Fords I've never had an oil pump failure. If a two second click on start up is the worst thing that happens to my '18 GT350 I will be a happy camper.

In my '61 and '67 everything rattles from the time they're started until they're shut down, and sometimes afterwards. :)

Last edited:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
So what did you find out? My Voodoo is making the same noise after warmed up, if shut down for approx. 30 mins and restarted. Rattle eminates from the pass-side front and lasts for approx. 2 secs. Local Ford tech says its an oil leak from a timing chain tensioner so the sound stops once the oil P is returned. My research yields much caution continuing to drive (even after the rattle dissapears) since bits "down stream" are losing much-needed lub.
It must not have turned out well and he traded it off for a new Dodge. It's been almost a year since he posted last.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
In over 50 years of driving and racing hot rod Fords I've never had an oil pump failure. If a two second click on start up is the worst thing that happens to my '18 GT350 I will be a happy camper.

According to Steve at FP, that rattle at start up is caused by a bad chain tensioner. The rattle occurs until the tensioner gets oil pressure back (i.e. it lost it) and all bits down stream are under-lubricated until the pressure is regained (he sent me an oil flow scematic to show). Who knows the reduced oil flow after the rattling is gone. He specifically told me to "get rid of that sound" and "have the techs replace both tensioners". I'm not going to accept a rattle in a high performance late-model mill if the pros at FP won't. I don't think you will either.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
That is exactly what my 2007 GMC 5 cylinder Canyon had. Back then both the Canyon and Colorado 5 cylinder were well known to to have the rattle for just a few seconds till the oil pressure was back in the tensioner. More noticeable in winter. It was said it would not have any affect on the engine and I knew people that put thousands of miles on those engines and no one ever had a engine problem. And those that replaced the tensioner had it soon come right back.
Sponsored