Sponsored

Engine dies randomly!!?

mustang_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wanted to chime in with my experience with this issue. My car is a 15 GT PP and i have jlt intake and an hpipe. I ran the car stock for about 1000 miles. Never had an issue. THen I put the parts on and a bama tune and drove another 1000 miles with no issues. I decided to run a different tune because alot of people said Bama wasnt good. I ordered a VMP tune. I installed it and drove it about 10 miles, and when I came to a stop or let up on the gas it would just die. I could crank it right back up and it would be fine. It did it about 3 times on the ride back home. The car ran AWESOME at WOT! I switched back to the Bama tune. I emailed VMP and they sent me a modified tune after a few days. I tried it and it had the same issues. They tried again and could not get it solved. I am back on my Bama tune. It might not be quite as peppy as the VMP tune at WOT, but drivability on the Bama tune has never failed! Im sticking with my Bama tune!
My guess is that the stalling issue people are having is computer related.
Sponsored

Driversound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I wanted to chime in with my experience with this issue. My car is a 15 GT PP and i have jlt intake and an hpipe. I ran the car stock for about 1000 miles. Never had an issue. THen I put the parts on and a bama tune and drove another 1000 miles with no issues. I decided to run a different tune because alot of people said Bama wasnt good. I ordered a VMP tune. I installed it and drove it about 10 miles, and when I came to a stop or let up on the gas it would just die. I could crank it right back up and it would be fine. It did it about 3 times on the ride back home. The car ran AWESOME at WOT! I switched back to the Bama tune. I emailed VMP and they sent me a modified tune after a few days. I tried it and it had the same issues. They tried again and could not get it solved. I am back on my Bama tune. It might not be quite as peppy as the VMP tune at WOT, but drivability on the Bama tune has never failed! Im sticking with my Bama tune!
My guess is that the stalling issue people are having is computer related.
It's all a guess up to this point. There's some people with no tune and absolutely stock with the same issue. I run a BAMA tune as well. The car was stock to 500 miles and tune was installed. 50 miles later, having the issue. I immediately thought the tune was to blame. BAMA's customer service was great. Did a data log and tune revision and it still happens once in a while. I switched it back to stock and died as well. Updated my SCT and back on the tune and hasn't happened so far but I only drive it on the weekends so we'll see.

RUN RICH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem. PP
This is not a tuning issue. I'm bone stock and experiencing or have experienced stalling.

dcspears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Magnetic
it happens on manual, when slowing down to a stop while in gear. It happened to me just as others described, slowing down at a stop or light or even turning. The car will die instantly (no stutter nor vibration) and the run power active will pop. Car will start right back up. I think I figured out the cause (i.e. it only occurred while slowing down with clutch engaged, while the car is in gear).

The last two times this happened, I glanced at the dash while slowing (car in gear, braking, and clutch in) and saw the idle jump erratically and then the car die.

It didn't happen all the time, maybe 5 to 6 times in the year that I've owned. I started shifting to neutral, slowing down without the clutch engaged and it hasnt happened since.

Driversound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Apparently, there is a TSB out there for the idle dipping down and possibly causing stalls for manual cars. It is TSB 15-0128 and what it does is updates the PCM. From what I've read, Ford is updating 2015's who have this issues to 2016 programming. I haven't had the chance to get it done since I just found this info through a search. Anyone get this update done, please report back.

Sponsored

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Happened to be just this morning going to work, while at a red light. I have a 15 ecoboost PP Auto. I did notice that my air/fuel ratio was at 9-12 and normally it would be at 14.5 when I'm completely stopped. My car started to surge as well before dying. On the freeway if I let go of the gas, the air/fuel ratio would immediately jump to 20, but now it drops to 8-9 and then slowly rises to 20.. so this is very strange. idk is the air/fuel ratio could cause the engine to die.

side question - how do you put the car in engineering mode?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Happened to be just this morning going to work, while at a red light. I have a 15 ecoboost PP Auto. I did notice that my air/fuel ratio was at 9-12 and normally it would be at 14.5 when I'm completely stopped. My car started to surge as well before dying. On the freeway if I let go of the gas, the air/fuel ratio would immediately jump to 20, but now it drops to 8-9 and then slowly rises to 20.. so this is very strange. idk is the air/fuel ratio could cause the engine to die.

side question - how do you put the car in engineering mode?
It sounds like the rich A/F ratio is causing the engine to stumble and try to die.

Here's how you get into Engineering Mode.
[ame]

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
It sounds like the rich A/F ratio is causing the engine to stumble and try to die.

Here's how you get into Engineering Mode.
thanks for the link. so what could cause "rich A/F ratio"... boost leak? but let me give more info on the matter. Car was running fine this morning, I went to has station to feel her up(chevron-premium), as soon as I'm leaving, I feel the engine surging, and then a minute later the car died at the red light. could bad gas cause this? could putting too much oil in the car be bad? thanks

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
My 16 GT Premium PP with a manual transmission has done this twice. Took delivery 11/13 and has 670 miles on it. I really don't want to take it to the Stealership so they can chip the paint or scratch it.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Apparently, there is a TSB out there for the idle dipping down and possibly causing stalls for manual cars. It is TSB 15-0128 and what it does is updates the PCM. From what I've read, Ford is updating 2015's who have this issues to 2016 programming. I haven't had the chance to get it done since I just found this info through a search. Anyone get this update done, please report back.
is this also for autos?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have never seen a published copy of TSB 15-0128 anywhere. I'm wondering what VIN range it covers, etc.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I still have never seen a published copy of TSB 15-0128 anywhere. I'm wondering what VIN range it covers, etc.
It covers all 5.0 Ti-VCT/manual transmission models built on or before 12/05/14. It's not VIN specific.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It covers all 5.0 Ti-VCT/manual transmission models built on or before 12/05/14. It's not VIN specific.
Thanks ... on or before 12/5/14 is basically the same as VIN specific, as with respect to the last 6 or 7 digits (the build serial number).

kattracks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Roush Stage 3
Hi, New Here. Having the same issue. 2015 RS3. Purchased 9/5/15. Started stalling shortly after I purchased it and has been doing it randomly since. Mostly aggravating because it was only doing it when I was already stopping or near a stop. Got real after it happened at 45mph on 12/25/15 and twice 12/27/15 on the highway during slow down/speed up to change lanes and exit the highway. Once I got to the parking lot it did it there too. So 3 times yesterday. My dealer is aware of the issue. Since no "Codes" they do not know what is wrong.
Sponsored