Educate me to help me understand.

Kidroc2133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Ok so I have this issue where I can not shift into first gear after the car has warmed up until recently. Now it takes a miracle to get into any gear. If I hold the clutch and try any gear the car will move slightly telling me that the clutch is not disengaging completely. So at first thought I said it may be the throwout bearing so I bought one but instead of dropping the transmission to change it I decided to try and bleed the system. Here is where I need some education. When I pull the vacuum after a min release it quickly and pump the clutch 10 to 15 times, on second attempt the pedal went to the floor and again on 3rd attempt. Is this an indication of air in the system ( I did see bubbles come up) I can pull the pedal up and continue to pump and it gets firm again. Or, is there something else I need to look into more including the throwout bearing?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
When I pull the vacuum after a min release it quickly
What do you mean by this? Did you disconnect the clutch fluid line at the slave cylinder or at the Master Cylinder?

OP
OP
Kidroc2133

Kidroc2133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I took the cap off the brake reservoir and pulled a vacuum from there to bleed the system. I did not disconnect anything.

What do you mean by this? Did you disconnect the clutch fluid line at the slave cylinder or at the Master Cylinder?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
It's pretty unlikely that air just introduced itself into the system. If air can get in, fluid would likely be getting out so if you don't see a leak somewhere, or low fluid level in th reservoir, your issue is more likely that the clutch material is worn, or that the pressure plate springs are worn out, not allowing for the clutch to disengage completely.

Check the feed line right at the master cylinder, it likes to walk itself off of the nipple, but you probably just need a new clutch and slave cylinder

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kidroc2133

Kidroc2133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I actually already looked into that months ago and mine was about off before I pushed it back on. The guy who I bought the car from had put on the Mcleod in line bleeder on where the braided clutch line goes into the bellhousing so I ended up bleeding from there. Clutch did get better and I am able to shift into all gears again. If it gets to the point where it won't shift into gears again then Ill change the throwout bearing and bleed again.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I actually already looked into that months ago and mine was about off before I pushed it back on. The guy who I bought the car from had put on the Mcleod in line bleeder on where the braided clutch line goes into the bellhousing so I ended up bleeding from there. Clutch did get better and I am able to shift into all gears again. If it gets to the point where it won't shift into gears again then Ill change the throwout bearing and bleed again.
I'd replace the slave cylinder first. If air keeps getting into the system, you probably have a bad seal either in the master or slave. A bad throw out bearing wouldn't cause this.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
I had a similar but not as bad situation with mine. In addition to that, the car would not start unless I shoved the clutch pedal damn near through the firewall. After inspecting the clutch pedal at the pivot, I found it was cracked really bad. Also found out this is a common issue. It was a PITA to get the assembly out. After fixing the crappy factory welds and putting it all back together, the trans shifts better than ever and no more problems starting.

OP
OP
Kidroc2133

Kidroc2133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I tried bleeding the whole brake and clutch system, pulling a vacuum many times and it still didn't fix the shifting issue. I went and pulled the transmission and replaced the clutch and throwout bearing. Clutch looked fine with very little heat marks on it but I didn't want to chance it by just replacing the throwout and not the clutch too. After install I took it for a drive and all the shifting issues that I had are gone.
Sponsored