RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not that it would improve its standings much on that list, but isn't the heaviest S550 (GT) reportedly 3750 pounds curb?
Sponsored

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Correction: 3704 for the Manual 3725 for the Auto.. That number listed is for the Convertible.

It's inline with its competition. (Challenger, Camaro, M4(GT). The other cars are two seat sport cars or hot hatches. The FRS and Genesis are more comparable since RWD and have a back seat. The FRS is much smaller, not much power on tap, not much offered in the tech department along with one of the worst cabins I have been in. I enjoy an S2000 with its better high reviving and less lumpy RPM, and a livable interior. The Genesis isn't bad, but the manual gear box is horrid along with a less refined 4 cylinder and its down on HP and torque.

I do hope the Mustang gets a tad lighter, we shall see.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Actually, this is a thread about the EB, in which the weight is actually right around the same as the 05-09 gen Mustang (3517lbs). That is definitely inline with most cars in its class like the Genessis 4 pot, and even the Corvette and 911 weight around that.

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Do you really need to drive the Mustang EB in order to know if it's more fun to drive than a FWD Focus? I'm sorry, but if there is any competition in the Fun To Drive department Ford really dropped the ball.
Maybe. And the definition of "fun" is a bit relative isn't it? Something that's more fun to one person will be way less fun for someone else. I'd personally like the full picture on both before determining which one would suit my definition of fun the best.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Maybe. And the definition of "fun" is a bit relative isn't it? Something that's more fun to one person will be way less fun for someone else. I'd personally like the full picture on both before determining which one would suit my definition of fun the best.
Precisely. Even tiny Italian subcompacts can be loads of fun, in particular if you have the Pope in the backseat:

:D

zen25

Threads
Reaction score
Surprised to read M235i is 175in with 35.6ft turning radius, that's as big as a old series coupe. I guess 2 is the new 3 for BMW whose cars are becoming porky.
Here is a video of much lighter underpowered Cayman with 275hp/213lbft torque easily beating M235i.
[ame]

EB vs FRS/BRZ. Older Mustang V6 beat it easily.
[ame]
S550 should be able to smoke it.

EB vs Other RWD 2+2 cars like Genesis V6 or Infiniti G37 might also be interesting.
Genesis got better of older Mustang V6. S550 should do better.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
^^well remember the EB will have all the options for performance like recaro's and a performance package for track with larger brakes. The V6 will not have those options and will be more of a daily driver or rental type of car. The 2.3l has the forged internals for upping the power so the tuning folks might like that aspect alone. I wouldn't be surprised if it can get up to 350hp without spending a bundle. The power band is much more suitable with power on tap at all RPM. The lower end torque on tap is a huge improvement over the V6.

Also, for track times the S550 greenhouse and height sits lower then the S197, and is wider. That should add up to a better performer on the track. According to recent driving tests it's like night and day as far as ride and performance. (comparing the Gt500 with 662 hp and the new S550 GT).

BigShow

BigShow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche
Well this thread is right in line with my thinking. I enjoyed my 1980 rabbit and 1986 two seat CRX Si. Since then we had kids and so I've been driving minivans and SUVs for quite a while. I'm really looking forward to having a fun small car to drive again. The fiesta ST of FoST just might be enough. I'll want to test drive the Mustang, FoST, and Fiesta ST.

Sponsored

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Correction: 3704 for the Manual 3725 for the Auto.. That number listed is for the Convertible.

It's inline with its competition. (Challenger, Camaro, M4(GT). The other cars are two seat sport cars or hot hatches. The FRS and Genesis are more comparable since RWD and have a back seat. The FRS is much smaller, not much power on tap, not much offered in the tech department along with one of the worst cabins I have been in. I enjoy an S2000 with its better high reviving and less lumpy RPM, and a livable interior. The Genesis isn't bad, but the manual gear box is horrid along with a less refined 4 cylinder and its down on HP and torque.

I do hope the Mustang gets a tad lighter, we shall see.
It's interesting that the Mustang's "official" competitors are the Challenger and the Camaro, but I think a LOT of people interested in this 2015 Mustang are going to shop it against hot hatchbacks primarily (myself included). I personally have no real interest in a Challenger or Camaro, and honestly would not have been interested in a Mustang if they hadn't just killed it with this one. I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some practicality and versatility for pure sexiness and pride factor. If my head ultimately wins out over my heart though, I'll probably end up in a GTI or a Fiesta ST. Maybe even Focus RS if it's not too expensive.

zen25

Threads
Reaction score
It's interesting that the Mustang's "official" competitors are the Challenger and the Camaro, but I think a LOT of people interested in this 2015 Mustang are going to shop it against hot hatchbacks primarily (myself included). I personally have no real interest in a Challenger or Camaro, and honestly would not have been interested in a Mustang if they hadn't just killed it with this one. I'd probably be willing to sacrifice some practicality and versatility for pure sexiness and pride factor. If my head ultimately wins out over my heart though, I'll probably end up in a GTI or a Fiesta ST. Maybe even Focus RS if it's not too expensive.
I am with you. GTI is in my mind ahead of Fiesta ST, just becasue of interior room it offers.

Mustang main comparison would be the other rear drive or AWD coupes from Japan, Germany and Korea. 370Z, 335i/235i, S5, S3, G37/Q60, STI, Genesis Coupe V6, etc.
Mustang EB can beat hot hatches without even doing comparo, I am waiting to see what can it do against the other 2 door cars.

It is crazy that the reviews are not out yet.
Ford should send out few cars out for reviews.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That is a good point. The EB Mustang has a decent amount of trunk space that is said to be able to fit two golf bags. The rear seat is less cramped then previous version so it might be comparable to some hot hatches. Also, it will have a conservative EPA rating probably around 30 highway or more. I don't think you will be sacrificing much in that department unless you are a city driver with cramped spacing for parking which would make a lot more sense to go with a hot hatch or if you feel you need a little better MPG.

The Focus RS isn't going to be cheap. The GTI is a tad more then the Fiesta, but expect the RS to be well north of both. Most likely in STI range (33-36k) It might bottom out at 30k if they decide to offer a stripper.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I am with you. GTI is in my mind ahead of Fiesta ST, just becasue of interior room it offers.

Mustang main comparison would be the other rear drive or AWD coupes from Japan, Germany and Korea. 370Z, 335i/235i, S5, S3, G37/Q60, STI, Genesis Coupe V6, etc.
Mustang EB can beat hot hatches without even doing comparo, I am waiting to see what can it do against the other 2 door cars.

It is crazy that the reviews are not out yet.
Ford should send out few cars out for reviews.

The GTI does cost a tad more then the Fiesta ST, but yea the redesigned GTI does offer more space. The other cars really only the Genesis Coupe and 370z would primarily be competitors based on performance and price and of course the Camaro and Challenger. The Camaro is going on the Zeta platform soon so it will be a lighter weight more fun car as well in 2016. The Challenger has no definitive plans to change and might be the last of the muscle cars as far as size, weight, and body style.

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
New guy here. I am very interested in this discussion. I currently own a 13 Focus ST as a daily driver. It has the Frpp tune, intake, and a FMIC. It is truly one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. The steering is crazy quick and with the frpp tune has amazing torque. I average around 28 mpg driving 70 miles a day, mostly highway. I'm interested in the ecoboost as a replacement for the ST. I think the ecoboost will have more potential than the ST.
On a side note for the GTI guys. Car and driver just did the latest lightning lap and the ST ran a best time of 3:17.6 and the 15 GTI ran 3:19.3 almost two seconds slower..

The ST with my other car.
Sponsored