Sponsored

Ecoboost Engine Blown?

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Ford service adviser had said that as long as the tune doesn't mess with engine timing, then its fine.

Either way, I'm just going to be patient and wait for the Ford tune which got an updated release date for 1Q 2016.
Don't listen to that service adviser.

Regardless of what parameters are modified, any aftermarket tune voids the warranty on the powertrain. It's as simple as that.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not true at all. I emailed FR last year and they disagree with your assertion. They said the reason for the delay was testing and certification (emissions, etc.). They said Ford - not Ford Racing (they were very explicit) - would warranty it. Heck, it even made the point of saying that in the initial press release!

I'm not sure why people don't get this, since Ford has been very clear in their intentions with this new tuning program. It wasn't previously true - but guess what: Now it is.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rmance-starts-with-ford-ecoboost-engines.html

Also notice, this is a Ford press release, not a Ford Racing press release.
We're talking about 2 different things. There is purportedly that and there is the CAI/Pro-Cal Ford Performance offers for the GT, at least every past GT, that is NOT covered by Ford Motor Company Warranty.

Te warranty itself from Ford Performance says Ecoboost Cold Air Kits/High-Flow Filters w/ Calibration: M-9603-M4 (2015-16) part # which is the CAI with Cal tuning and it is under Ford Performance's warranty in black and white.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/warranty/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Is that the same item this article mentions? Who knows. Unless you quote articles as gospel set in stone forever and things don't change.

And hypothetically if there is another tune coming, expect it to be INCREDIBLY conservative from Ford Performance for the $800 you pay as the GT in the past has seen a whopping 12hp and 13ft lbs; not including the $200 for the dealership to "install it" to be eligible for warranty coverage. $1,000 for a few hp/tq hardly seems worth the money.

Last edited:

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
We're talking about 2 different things. There is purportedly that and there is the CAI/Pro-Cal Ford Performance offers for the GT, at least every past GT, that is NOT covered by Ford Motor Company Warranty.

Te warranty itself from Ford Performance says Ecoboost Cold Air Kits/High-Flow Filters w/ Calibration: M-9603-M4 (2015-16) part # which is the CAI with Cal tuning and it is under Ford Performance's warranty in black and white.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/warranty/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Is that the same item this article mentions? Who knows. Unless you quote articles as gospel set in stone forever and things don't change.

And hypothetically if there is another tune coming, expect it to be INCREDIBLY conservative from Ford Performance for the $800 you pay as the GT in the past has seen a whopping 12hp and 13ft lbs; not including the $200 for the dealership to "install it" to be eligible for warranty coverage. $1,000 for a few hp/tq hardly seems worth the money.
We weren't talking about 2 different things, however you were. :-/

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
UPDATE: Picked up wife's EcoBoost from Service yesterday, they installed a new short block, it is running great. Can not say enough good things about our Service Adviser "Paul" here in Vegas at Friendly Ford, the guy was great. By the way the car went in with an MMR CAI on it, they gave me no hassles over it and even re-installed it when they were finished, I had no tune on the car and I am waiting to see if the Ford/Ford Racing Tune will be worth the money. The wife made me buy my own Mustang GT w/ PP, so I will leave her's alone, I will be ordering an MMR CAI for it this week, these CAI from MMR are pretty nice and sound great.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
You wife "made" you buy your own GTPP huh? How mean of her!

Sponsored

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yea, and she makes me buy us guns too, I'm thinking divorce ;)

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Lol sounds like she's the exact opposite of my wife. She wants me to sell my car and my guns LOL

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
P.S. It took me 6 wives to find this one, she's a keeper. Merry Christmas all

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
wow!

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
On another note, I started the cosmetic mods on the GT yesterday, I did the Honey Comb Grille Delete and the 10" Twin Charcoal Metallic Racing Stripes and today I am installing the new GT350R Carbon Fiber Wing. Should look good on a white car.

Sponsored

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Are you sure they actually saw it or did they just get you to admit to it? lol

I mean it's pretty obvious that a car with those mods on it would have been tuned 99% of the time unless someone doesn't mind riding around with a CEL for catless DP
I had the car back to 100% stock. They knew it had been modified they said they could see it when they plugged into the ecu even when I had did the key cycle thing 100 times or more.

For all who are wondering what happened with my car, the motor blew up
20151216_163119.jpg
20151216_163119-1280x720.jpg
20151218_174542-600x1066.jpg
20151218_174546-600x1067.jpg

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Joe, I'm sorry to hear that! What caused it to blow up do you know?? This whole thing about key cycles is BS.. That is why my car is fully stock now and I really don't have 10k in my bank to front for a new engine.

Was it tune related or something like the piston rings didn't seat correctly from factory?

Did it give you any warnings, check engine lights before it went out?

Sorry to hear bro, hope you get it sorted out as well.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Joe, I'm sorry to hear that! What caused it to blow up do you know?? This whole thing about key cycles is BS.. That is why my car is fully stock now and I really don't have 10k in my bank to front for a new engine.

Was it tune related or something like the piston rings didn't seat correctly from factory?

Did it give you any warnings, check engine lights before it went out?

Sorry to hear bro, hope you get it sorted out as well.
I don't believe it was tune related, I have been running Adam's tune for 5000+ miles and the car ran great I just believe there was something wrong from the time the engine was built. And nope no warnings just floored it on the highway and "boom" she went lol. And yes that key cycles crap is bs don't waste your time people. Dealer quoted me for $7000 for a complete new Long block install with new turbo. Not a bad price. At this point I am undecided whether to put another stock motor in and sell the car or put a built motor in. I'm just trying to help people out on the forum by explaining my experience. DO NOT mod your car unless you have money put away incase something bad happens. You cannot hide the tune from the dealer. The ecu is just like a pc it holds data in it even though you think you erased it.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Sucks to see that bro. Exactly what my nightmare was when I was driving a fully bolted on WRX. Couldn't sleep at night knowing that my engine is not warrantied and that it could blow anytime.

I'm still not sure why they would dig so far deep to figure out you had a tune on it. Maybe they saw some signs that it was modded even though you returned it to stock. I know bolts can easily show that they've been removed/reinstalled at the intercooler/downpipe, but still.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Sucks to see that bro. Exactly what my nightmare was when I was driving a fully bolted on WRX. Couldn't sleep at night knowing that my engine is not warrantied and that it could blow anytime.

I'm still not sure why they would dig so far deep to figure out you had a tune on it. Maybe they saw some signs that it was modded even though you returned it to stock. I know bolts can easily show that they've been removed/reinstalled at the intercooler/downpipe, but still.
Yeah it is what it is. Dealer said they didn't care but they have to send the ecu data to Ford and then they approve/deny warranty.
Sponsored