Sponsored

E85 at the Track (HPDE), what to expect

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I'm just starting to prep my 2019 PP2 for track use / dual use. As I will be driving to the track, Hauling e85 to the track will not be an option for me. I'll need to leave the track to fill up. The Tracks I frequent are Mid Ohio, PittRace and NCM. E85 drive from the track are 18 min, 23 min and 14 min respectively.

Can any one share their experience on e85 fuel usage at the track? Generally I have at least a 1/3 of a tank left after the second HPDE secession when running 93 oct. I am assuming e85 will consume 30% more fuel? is that a fair estimate? A Lunch time fuel run is the norm for me at HPDE. It would be good to know if anyone is using a half tank of e85 in a 20 in secession. If so, its not likely of interest for me as running to get gas between every HPDE secession would be a big PITA.

Any comments on track performance of e85 vs 93 oct? I read some extra pull from e85 in the 2500+ rpm range . That is always highly valued at a road course.

I appreciate anyone running e85 at the track sharing their experience regarding performance enhancement and fuel management..

Thanks!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I find its a lot easier to fill up a spare 5 gallon jerry can or two and drive the 15 minutes with the fuel in the car. (I just need to commit to a tow vehicle).

Expect to burn at least 30% more fuel. I fuel starve at as high as 3/4 tank, so I really need to top off before each and every session, and getting gas off site between each session isn't convenient for me.

OP
OP
Bossdog

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I find its a lot easier to fill up a spare 5 gallon jerry can or two and drive the 15 minutes with the fuel in the car. (I just need to commit to a tow vehicle).

Expect to burn at least 30% more fuel. I fuel starve at as high as 3/4 tank, so I really need to top off before each and every session, and getting gas off site between each session isn't convenient for me.
I've read that previously today, what is that about??? Is that just with E85 or is that with 87/91/93
If that is will all fuel type, I'm putting a hold on m track car development and selling this car. that is total crap.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
At ACS, I would always have to go out at the beginning of a session w/ a full tank of E85. Luckily, we had two close stations close by. With my PP2 running E85, I'd pull big Gs going down the front straight (~ 155 or so on a banked oval). I had fuel starvation when I'd go out for a second sessions without filling back up first. Best bet is to ALWAYS go out with a full tank.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've read that previously today, what is that about??? Is that just with E85 or is that with 87/91/93
If that is will all fuel type, I'm putting a hold on m track car development and selling this car. that is total crap.
Well its not specific to fuel type but it is specific to the track and your carā€™s grip levels. I skipped leg day in favor of aero day at the gym and I make more downforce than the average track mustang, it took me 7 years of driving and mods to get to the point where fuel starving is significant bit of a kink in the plan, and of course there are solutions with a surge tank.

At first when youā€™re developing its a minor inconcenienceā€¦ if you get really fast later, well, then the surge tank isnt any more expensive than the other safety equipment and tire bidget youā€™ll need.

Its significantly cheaper to address it when/if you eventually encounter it with parts instead of a new car.

Sponsored

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just starting to prep my 2019 PP2 for track use / dual use. As I will be driving to the track, Hauling e85 to the track will not be an option for me. I'll need to leave the track to fill up. The Tracks I frequent are Mid Ohio, PittRace and NCM. E85 drive from the track are 18 min, 23 min and 14 min respectively.

Can any one share their experience on e85 fuel usage at the track? Generally I have at least a 1/3 of a tank left after the second HPDE secession when running 93 oct. I am assuming e85 will consume 30% more fuel? is that a fair estimate? A Lunch time fuel run is the norm for me at HPDE. It would be good to know if anyone is using a half tank of e85 in a 20 in secession. If so, its not likely of interest for me as running to get gas between every HPDE secession would be a big PITA.

Any comments on track performance of e85 vs 93 oct? I read some extra pull from e85 in the 2500+ rpm range . That is always highly valued at a road course.

I appreciate anyone running e85 at the track sharing their experience regarding performance enhancement and fuel management..

Thanks!
I can help you out with Mid Ohioā€¦. Closest E85 is Kroger in Mansfield but the price is much higher than Marengo. Unsubstantiated but Iā€™ve heard if because of the street racers, Mansfield price was near the 87 price. This year Iā€™ve been using Sheets with great results. In the spring I was getting it for $1.85, end of summer $2.40. I always test and never see anything less than 83% in the spring summer fall. Now for the not so great news. If you go hard with an NA Gen3 your looking at half a tank for a 20min session. Iā€™m running my 2022 Mach 1, Kooks 1 7/8ā€ Long tube headers, Wengerd E85 tune. Very noticeable difference over the Wengerd 93 tune. I live just over 30 min from the track and Ill top off and take all I can carry (6 VP racing cans with 6gal each) if its an all day event. If Iā€™m doing the School open test and tune Thursday evening events (3 20min sessions), ill top off and take two 6 gal cans. I donā€™t usually unport the fuel tank pickup until below a 1/4 tank in the big left handlers. Exit of turn 1 is where it shows up first for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bossdog

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I can help you out with Mid Ohioā€¦. Closest E85 is Kroger in Mansfield . . . Now for the not so great news. If you go hard with an NA Gen3 youā€™re looking at half a tank for a 20min session . . . I donā€™t usually unport the fuel tank pickup until below a 1/4 tank in the big left handlers. Exit of turn 1 is where it shows up first for me.
thanks for the input, very helpful!

Iā€™m assuming you donā€™t have issues till a 1/4 tanks is the Mach1 has the GT350-GT500 fuel system. With the GT fuel system, The hard core track guys with sticky tires see fuel issues at 5/8 tank during long left handers.

I was thinking turn 1 at mid Ohio would be the only issue as far as a hard/fast left hander.

hauling fuel to the track is not an option for me. My goal with this car is simplicity to the track, at the track and returning from the track. So, I am ruling out e85 for now. But thanks for the info, it helps me develop my plan.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Running E at the tracks I go to is a big PITA.

The boost in power can easily be overcome by driver skill/better tires/good brakes.

abatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
i'll start to fuel starve the car when i'm 2-3gallons down which is about 3-4 laps in. i just top off between every session and make my fast laps the early laps

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
what's the burden bringing gas to the track?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bossdog

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
i'll start to fuel starve the car when i'm 2-3gallons down which is about 3-4 laps in. i just top off between every session and make my fast laps the early laps
is that with corn juice or petrol?

abatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
e85. i can run 93 down a lot further and be fine but i haven't tracked on 93 in a while

ArrestmeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
I usually track with a group of friends and at least one will have a tow rig. It double duties as the fuel hauler for all of us because none of the tracks we go to supply E85.

Iā€˜m usually down 1/4 tank every 20 min session or a little more. We see fuel cut under 3/4 of a tank because of the saddle tank design and the pump on the drivers side. So long sweeping left hand turns are always the issue. I top off after every session so this isnā€™t an issue.
Sponsored