Sponsored

Drilled and slotted rotors

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that brakes and tires are very different friction situations. Brakes follow the nearly ideal formulas as the pads and rotors are rigid. Small brakes provide as much force as large brakes, they just have less heat capacity. Tires are very not ideal, so wider is better.
Sponsored

DCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually taken apart.
Outgassing pads is a relic of history
I was under the impression that European cars still allowed the use of materials that produced gasses which was why some europeans sporty cars still had the drilled rotors... at least this was true 10 years ago.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I was under the impression that European cars still allowed the use of materials that produced gasses which was why some europeans sporty cars still had the drilled rotors... at least this was true 10 years ago.
But who is actually using those pads in high performance vehicles? All the pads I'm aware of that outgas have been completely outclassed by modern performance pads that don't create gasses.

It's all marketing BS. Drilled rotors serve no modern purpose in performance applications. There's a reason even Formula cars and GT class racing cars all have flat rotors, too...

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that brakes and tires are very different friction situations. Brakes follow the nearly ideal formulas as the pads and rotors are rigid. Small brakes provide as much force as large brakes, they just have less heat capacity. Tires are very not ideal, so wider is better.
At the risk of being pedantic, this technically isn't true. Larger brakes do generally provide more braking force... But it's just that you don't really need that extra force. You don't need anymore force from your braking system than is necessary to maximize the stopping force of your tires, and every car comes from the factory with brakes capable of locking the tires under emergency braking. So bigger brakes won't stop you faster, but by increasing swept area and heat capacity and braking torque, they lighten the load on the brakes and keep them cooler in sustained high performance driving.
Sponsored

Last edited: