Drag Racing on UHP Tires in Las Vegas

Weeee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Mach E GT
I raced my 2021 Mach 1 A10 on Falken FK510s tires during the Muscle Cars at the Strip event in Las Vegas and had quite the experience. I ran in the Modern Muscle bracket racing class and competed against 44 others. Unfortunately we don't have a 1/4 track in Utah which resulted in me having to learn and test during the event. The dedicated test and tuning day was rained out.

• "Drag Mode" shifts too hard with street tires at the elevation of Las Vegas. The 3 -> 4 shift caused traction control to intervene. Disabling traction control caused the rear end to skate. The track was well prepared and warm.
  • "Sport+" fixed the hard shifts and I was able to complete 7 runs without traction control intervention.
  • Launching at 1000 RPMs seemed to take the slack out of the peddle but the launch seemed soft. I would have liked testing at a higher RPM.
  • I'd also like to mess around with unlocking Launch Control with FORScan.
  • Track lock is an awesome feature. I practiced engaging it in the staging lanes until I got the hang of it.
  • The Mach 1 still has more to give. There was a stock GT A10 with rear drag radials only running 12.4x. Rear drag tires are needed for next year.
I ended up winning the Modern Muscle class.

Tips? Suggestions? I'd like to get better for next year.

1711051543529-r7.png
Sponsored

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
I raced my 2021 Mach 1 A10 on Falken FK510s tires during the Muscle Cars at the Strip event in Las Vegas and had quite the experience. I ran in the Modern Muscle bracket racing class and competed against 44 others. Unfortunately we don't have a 1/4 track in Utah which resulted in me having to learn and test during the event. The dedicated test and tuning day was rained out.

• "Drag Mode" shifts too hard with street tires at the elevation of Las Vegas. The 3 -> 4 shift caused traction control to intervene. Disabling traction control caused the rear end to skate. The track was well prepared and warm.
  • "Sport+" fixed the hard shifts and I was able to complete 7 runs without traction control intervention.
  • Launching at 1000 RPMs seemed to take the slack out of the peddle but the launch seemed soft. I would have liked testing at a higher RPM.
  • I'd also like to mess around with unlocking Launch Control with FORScan.
  • Track lock is an awesome feature. I practiced engaging it in the staging lanes until I got the hang of it.
  • The Mach 1 still has more to give. There was a stock GT A10 with rear drag radials only running 12.4x. Rear drag tires are needed for next year.
I ended up winning the Modern Muscle class.

Tips? Suggestions? I'd like to get better for next year.

1711051543529-r7.png
Try launching at 1800 rpm’s in track mode with advance trac off, and roll into the pedal slow enough to prevent tire slippage and you should be to the floor after the 330’, so far that has produced the best result for me. Without at least drag radials, drag mode is useless because of the violent shifts. I am still learning to launch mine as well (on my second season, my 392 was so much easier to launch), I am going hitting the track again this weekend and if I learn anything else I will let ya know.

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I ran at the local drag strip test and tune today. With Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 street tires, I only ran 11.9 but I also didn't expect to run good, I just wanted to drive the car and go fast lol. Launch will be imperfect so yeah without drag radials don't expect anything perfect. My rear tire pressure was 24psi.

Redding Dragstrio 040624 with AS3 Tires.jpg

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
Yes, drag mode is faster but only if the tires can hold, which street tires usually don't, even the 200TWs. That is why most here get their best on Sport or Drive modes like you experienced when on street tires. Another thing to watch for is the car will also skip gear when the tires spin even a little on shift, even in S/Drag.
The stock tune will hold until about 2.0k before it starts to push, so you can work your way up to there. A tune can allow up to 2.8k+ on stock converter on DRs, at least in my experience. Or are you manual? - In that case I'm not sure. No burnout box I presume? Any wheel hop?
Those numbers look great, perhaps the mph is a touch low is the only thing that stands out. Congrats on the win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weeee

Weeee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Mach E GT
Thank you for the tips. I didn't know that the torque converter would go up that high. My Mach 1 is an A10.
Yes to the burn out box. I love burn outs. No wheel hop that I could detect but I'll admit that I wouldn't know what to feel for, I'm new to drag racing.
Sponsored