Sponsored

Dont get whipped ! (800+ HP TVS ) ***Updated with video!***

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Why's everything from Roush posted in Crank HP?
Because crank numbers are higher, and therefore more impressive.

It does get confusing if they aren't stating BHP vs. RWHP.

That's just my cynical view of aftermarket companies that post numbers in BHP. Especially ones that dyno at the wheels and then assume some insanely high drivetrain loss in order to pump up the numbers at the crank. I don't mean to suggest that Roush does this, as they are a well respected brand, but I've seen some others that left me shaking my head.

-T

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Two questions for Roush/TVS

1. Does installation of the TVS still require cutting/modification of the block to fit the kit?
2. Is this 740WHP on a stock engine? Any upgrades to oil pump or fuel pump? What is RPM limit set at?

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Hi there

Two questions for Roush/TVS

1. Does installation of the TVS still require cutting/modification of the block to fit the kit?
2. Is this 740WHP on a stock engine? Any upgrades to oil pump or fuel pump? What is RPM limit set at?

YES you cut and hack to install the TVS. The front cover gets cut for clearance the valley gets cut and you destroy the EVAP lines. So basically if you ever wanted to return stock it will cost you a lot in parts that get destroyed. also you cut the back strut tower brace for clearance. ... worst kit I ever installed

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kyle@ROUSH

Kyle@ROUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Pretty much everybody who has installed will tell you the cutting is way easier than expected and not a big deal. A boss in the intake valley for clearance, and the front cover which can be replaced if need be.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YES you cut and hack to install the TVS. The front cover gets cut for clearance the valley gets cut and you destroy the EVAP lines. So basically if you ever wanted to return stock it will cost you a lot in parts that get destroyed. also you cut the back strut tower brace for clearance. ... worst kit I ever installed
Not good! :(
Does the Whipple need stuff cutting or modifying? If not is it true bolt-on and you could literally return to stock easily with the Whipple?

OP
OP
Kyle@ROUSH

Kyle@ROUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
The previous model years timing covers cost about $120 if i recall, not a huge deal, unbolt it and replace with the new one if it came down to it.

Mark S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The cuts are actually very easy to make. That was the part of the install that gave me the most anxiety but turned out to be very easy. I used a Dremel Multi-tool with a metal blade. All of the cuts only took me about 10 minutes, and the tool cut so cleanly there was only a metal powder left to clean up. The one EVAP line does need to be cut, but I think could be put back together if needed. I never installed a Whipple kit, so I can't say whether or not the Whipple would be easier to install. I installed my Roush kit in my garage using basic hand tools. The entire install took about 8 hours. The instructions provided by Roush are very well written, and have detailed pictures of every step. I installed a Procharger kit on my 2001 Mustang GT a few years ago, and the Roush kit was a lot easier to install.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cuts are actually very easy to make. That was the part of the install that gave me the most anxiety but turned out to be very easy. I used a Dremel Multi-tool with a metal blade. All of the cuts only took me about 10 minutes, and the tool cut so cleanly there was only a metal powder left to clean up. The one EVAP line does need to be cut, but I think could be put back together if needed. I never installed a Whipple kit, so I can't say whether or not the Whipple would be easier to install. I installed my Roush kit in my garage using basic hand tools. The entire install took about 8 hours. The instructions provided by Roush are very well written, and have detailed pictures of every step. I installed a Procharger kit on my 2001 Mustang GT a few years ago, and the Roush kit was a lot easier to install.

I did exactly the same on my S197 a few years ago and installed a Saleen supercharger in my garage with hand tools, took me a weekend. :)

Sponsored

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
EVAP lines only way to replace is buy a stock upper manifold ... The whipple kit has nothing to cut and car can be returned to stock if need be... Don't get me wrong the TVS is a great blower if I were to buy one it would be the VMP gen2 not the regular one but I wanted to be able to return my car to stock if I ever wanted to trade it in down the road. I learned the hard way modding and selling the car modded etc... Others will agree you get more back selling the parts and returning the car to stock long run

ctozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt premium
I will not be purchasing a whipple kit either based on this clown they have representing the company. Very bad marketing. The dude lost my interest when he was basically talking smack about how they're tuning was so much superior to lunds tuning. I'll be getting a beefcake or vmp stage 3.

Glad I got the roush as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Glad I got the roush as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ford Performance went with the 2.9L for there Cobra Jet project, when power is needed, Ford, Dodge and GM come to us. That is a testament to the product. Roush makes a great product but it is simply not a comparable product.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
We just did an install on both, Roush took 2.5 hours longer with the same mechanic and the same tools. The grinding was actually 1.5 hours as you need to mask off, grind and clean up. It's a big mess with all the aluminum flying around. To put back to stock, you would have to buy a new timing cover and put it on, looking at 4-6 hours of work plus the parts.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
The previous model years timing covers cost about $120 if i recall, not a huge deal, unbolt it and replace with the new one if it came down to it.
You do realize the entire belt system is bolted to the timing cover right? Not a big deal?

Also you can't make the block stock again since you grind the bosses in the valley.
Sponsored