Sponsored

Donnell Ford failed at tire repair and scratched up wheel

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
I got a nail in my rear tire and took it Donnell Ford in Boardman Ohio to repair. I have the tire and wheel warranty so this should have been no big deal.

Dropped it off and ask them to look at the cooled seats too while I'm there, and then browse F-150's while they have it. Come back to the service and they say it's done. I go out to look at it and it's hissing audibly from 20ft away. Leaking like an absolute sieve. Go back to get the service advisor, Joan, and bring her out. We get down to examine it and I notice scratches ALL OVER the wheel. The wheel was almost CERTAINLY laid down on it's face.

Now they have it overnight because they were closing. They're going to attempt another repair tomorrow. If that doesn't hold they're going to call Ford to authorize a new tire. They have to have a manager approve the wheel to be replaced... which won't be until MONDAY!

I'm absolutely livid. How incompetent of a tech does one have to be to screw up this badly. This is a service announcement to avoid Donnell service like the plague. And if you must go there do not let Brian touch your vehicle.

Deysha, can I get this escalated?

Oh yeah... and they never even looked at the seats.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Pictures for documentation. The chip in the wheel above the valve stem was existent. NONE of the scratches were. They're basically on EVERY spoke, these are just some or the more noticeable ones.
scratch.jpg
scratch1.jpg
scratch11.jpg
scratch1111.jpg

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
what an idiot. I wonder if he dropped it by accident, but regardless, he still mounted it back on car and hope you would not notice. he ought to be fired for just that. there is no way he didn't know what he did. had he scratched it by accident and owned up to it, that would be a diff story.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
I demanded some type of documentation before I left. The only thing Joan offered was she would "take pictures" and then gave me an estimate for a new wheel that says "pending manager approval".

Pictures of Joan "documenting" the scratches, my estimate, and my miles when I left the car with them.

Joan also said the tech had made her aware of my chip by the valve stem prior to starting his repair and she went out to take a picture. So she should have pre-scratch documentation.
joan2.jpg
writeup2.jpg
miles2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
That sucks.

Hope they own up to it and replace it.
No reason why you have to accept that as it wasnt like that when you took it in!
what an idiot. I wonder if he dropped it by accident, but regardless, he still mounted it back on car and hope you would not notice. he ought to be fired for just that. there is no way he didn't know what he did. had he scratched it by accident and owned up to it, that would be a diff story.

They had better replace it. There is not a single scratch on any other wheel. Any idiot could tell you it got thrashed while the wheel was off of the car. And this is the first time any of the wheels have been off the car.

Lakeland-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SErik
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Toyota dealer in Lakeland damaged every single wheel on my wife's car. Factory painted wheels, massively chipped the paint right off down to bare metal on every single lug nut opening on all 4 wheels. Must have gone at the wheels like a hammer with his lug socket. Service manager offered to have the local wheel repair guy put touch up paint on the damage. Thanks so much@:mad:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This is why I cringe if I have to have any work done on my vehicles by a dealership. I do everything myself if I can. One thing to do is stress to the Service Manager that you will be looking for any damage when you pick up the car, so please have someone who's careful work on the car.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I noticed very similar markings on one wheel last time I washed it. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where the markings came from. I had a flat fixed on that tire a while back...

But could have sworn I had washed the wheels since then. Now I am not so sure. Even if the repair shop did it, I am screwed as flat was fixed sometime ago now.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
They should have done a vehicle inspection and made you initial it before taking the car to the back to get it worked on. And they should have notified you once damage was noticed.

Sponsored

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My experience with 2 Ford service departments is less then good. They hire kids who don't care about anything that is not on a cell phone. I love it when the kid working on the car leaves his gorilla foot prints and dirty hand prints all over the interior. I realize it not going to be cleaned like its at the Mercedes dealer but wipe the dirt off the door before telling the customer its ready !!!

350sexZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 50yr ww 6spd -2014 explorer sport
Sucks man, happened to me on my rear wheel. It was on the center where the lugs are it was a whole ring around scuff. Luckily I was able to buff it out. You can only see it if you put your face right to the wheel. I think they did it when they put it on the balanceing machine.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Its not just the dealership. When I saw this thread I thought WOW...I am not alone!

I took mine to a local tire shop, the largest chain in my town, because I had a slow leak. They said there was a nail in the outer tread (not shoulder) and that it could be patched from the inside. I was inside the shop watching them work thru the door.

Mine has the 18" Foundry wheels. When they brought the car back around the guy showed me this huge gouge that goes all the way around - see picture. I have 10k miles but this wheel was spotless both inside and out! Well, he said they have a guy who fixes wheels and he'd come out to me. They did not charge me for the flat repair.

The guy was a franchisee of a mobile wheel repair service. He worked on it for an hour and this was his best result - see picture. he explained that the machined finish face was made on a CNC machine and he can't duplicate that so he painted it & clearcoated the wheel. It is obvious and noticeable. So I went back to the tire place and they said they'd order a new wheel. They said that once they swap it they'll keep mine, have it reconditioned, and recoup some of the cost. I am currently waiting for it to come in.

The damage happened when the wheel was put on the tire mounting machine. The tire shop guy didn't act too upset, he said "it happens". Yes, I am now going to be EXTRA paranoid any time someone has to pull the wheels!!!!!! These techs do not use enough care.
wheel.jpg
wheel2.jpg

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
If they had any brains they would have the knowledge to warranty the tire without any preapproval. It's all in how it's written up. All they need to do is state "Puncture in non-repairable area near sidewall"

Also, the fact that they messed up your wheel on a brand new premium product (Mustang) tells you just how much they care. Piss poor management.

I started out as a lube and tire tech and I treated EVERY vehicle with care, whether it was a brand new $50k truck, or a worn out base model Focus. I treated everyone's vehicle as if it were my own.

Find a new dealer, and good luck.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Is that tire warranty an extra add-on to your original warranty? I don't recall my sales or F&I guy offering me a tire warranty.
Sponsored