Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby

• Total voters

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Thread cleaned up and user banned. Keep it civil or the thread will be closed.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
People buy brand names for one of two reasons--or both: 1. Status; 2. Associated quality (performance). Shelby = known performance...and status, if you're into that part.

No matter if it's made in Vegas or Detroit, for better or worse, it won't be the Shelby of the '60s.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I didn't know it was a Shelby till after I got it. I like the words on the splitter. Doesn't have any historical value though to me. Just marketing.

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Does anyone have insight into how much Ford pays per car to use the Shelby name?

Any thoughts as to why Ford changed the door sill plates (removed reference to Shelby) in 2017?

If I were an engineer who worked the GT350 at Ford Performance, I would be pissed that they called it a Shelby, considering there is another company named Shelby, which, to my understanding had nothing to do with the development.

I was on the engineering team that developed the worlds highest resolution camera (1.8 gigapixel ARGUS GSS) for DARPA. In the Nova show on PBS (Rise of the Drones) that highlighted the camera half way into the show, the guy they claimed "designed it", had nothing to do with the hardware. That pissed me off - they could have said "and a team of highly skilled Engineers". Just saying...

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
No matter if it's made in Vegas or Detroit, for better or worse, it won't be the Shelby of the '60s.
Nor is newer muscle from GM and Mopar of 60's. And we don't have Yenko, Baldwin Motion or Mr. Norm variants either.

But Shelby has been revived in name, spirit and intent. Ford engineers know and appreciate the lineage. It's doubtful I'll have a Shelby of any year or vintage in my garage, but I'm damn glad that my present S197 GT, and my future S550 share in that excitement.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Shelby

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
GT350

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Or Ford Performance

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My point os it doesnt matter. They are all names that belong to the car and you are right if you use any one of them

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Another explanation, showing that Carrol Shelby was aware of this GT350:

attachment.jpg
Yes, Carroll was not only aware, he was directly involved with the concept of the car. This is according to Tim Stieve (svttim) - Mustang Club of America National Director.

So while Carroll's influence was minimal and Ford Performance did all the heavy lifting in terms of engineering the car, our GT350 is truly the last Ford to have been "touched" by the man himself.

bossmango

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Does anyone have insight into how much Ford pays per car to use the Shelby name?

Any thoughts as to why Ford changed the door sill plates (removed reference to Shelby) in 2017?

If I were an engineer who worked the GT350 at Ford Performance, I would be pissed that they called it a Shelby, considering there is another company named Shelby, which, to my understanding had nothing to do with the development.

I was on the engineering team that developed the worlds highest resolution camera (1.8 gigapixel ARGUS GSS) for DARPA. In the Nova show on PBS (Rise of the Drones) that highlighted the camera half way into the show, the guy they claimed "designed it", had nothing to do with the hardware. That pissed me off - they could have said "and a team of highly skilled Engineers". Just saying...

There is absolutely no way Ford pays SAI any per unit fee. FOMCO's managerial and legal departments would never ever agree to anything so ridiculous. What is Shelby going to do sell its name and put it on a Buick? There is one place it goes with any interest and that is on a Ford specifically a Mustang, that is the hard reality here. Ford's revival of the Shelby badged Mustang in 2007 was the life support that SAI needed after hideous management, unpaid creditors, and a company that was losing money wholesale. There very well could have been no payment to Shelby what so ever from Ford as they were the savior at that point. Did Ford inject some capitol into SAI to keep them above water while their name was used on these SVT products, quite possibly.