DIY - Brake Pads Vehicles With: Brembo 6Piston Brake Caliper

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
Easy to do, thanks for a forum member for hosting the original PDF where I created this DIY from.

Removal

1. Jack up and Remove the wheel and tire.

1. Remove the 2 brake pad pins.
2. Remove the brake pad spring retainer clip.
3. Remove the brake caliper pin bolt.
Torque: 22 lb.ft (30 Nm)
-

-
3. Compress the brake caliper pistons using a brake pad spreader tool.
-

-
4. Remove the brake pads.
-

-
1. NOTE: If installing new brake pads, make sure to install all new hardware and lubricant supplied with the
brake pad kit. Refer to the brake pad instruction sheet when applying lubricant.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
2. Depress the brake pedal, check the brake fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir and top up as necessary
with brake fluid.
Sponsored

OP
OP
andrew.k

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
Should be working, they are showing up for me. Can you try a different device and let me know?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the pics!

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
you can use a c clamp to compress the piston. Use the spot where the caliper pins go through

After installing the center pin bolt, easy way to reinstall the spring clip is install the bottom caliper pin, insert the spring clip and bend it back enough to install the top pin

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Brake pad kit

Anyone have a part # for the brake pad kit?

or if we order OEM pads from a Ford parts dealer is all the hardware included?

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Any idea of expected pad life for the original Brembos? I'm at 18K miles and still seem to be stopping well. Not sure when to change the pads.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Any idea of expected pad life for the original Brembos? I'm at 18K miles and still seem to be stopping well. Not sure when to change the pads.
Highly variable , you could get 60K out of them if it was all highway miles 20K is lots of stop and go , 10K if you do some tracking .

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Take off the wheels and look at the pads periodically. That's the only sure way to know where you are on the brake pad continuum.

<TED>

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is there a rear brake pad, rotor, brake line DIY available?

Appreciate it!

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Unfortunately, there isn't to my knowledge. I have the shop manual but it has little more information than the instructions that come with a new set of factory pads. Those are pretty complete. What in particular do you want to know? I have had the rear brakes off....

<TED>

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Unfortunately, there isn't to my knowledge. I have the shop manual but it has little more information than the instructions that come with a new set of factory pads. Those are pretty complete. What in particular do you want to know? I have had the rear brakes off....

<TED>
Thanks for responding. I've never done brake pads on a non bbk so not sure what the process is.

I plan to tackle some of the DIY myself for fun.

I just don't know the bolt torque values.

Also, if you have a DIY you could pm me that would be awesome. I like following directions. :)

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
If changing brake hoses to a braided style line typically I have reused the factory banjo bolts but only torque the fittings to 18-20ft/lbs. The factory fittings get torqued much higher but the braided line fittings do not require that much crush (and they will crush)

Pretty straight forward, if changing the hoses do that while everything is together, then pull the brakes apart. Unless you are using OEM pads that include the pad hardware just clean up the mounting surfaces with brake-kleen and a scotch-brite pad. Blue thread compound on the anchor bolts only(Front caliper mounting bolts as well)

If the rear pads have wear on them you will want to pick up the little tool to turn the caliper piston back in. Most parts stores have the little 1" square one that works with a ratchet.

A little more work involved than the fronts which are a breeze. You don't even have to remove the caliper to change pads, only if you are removing the rotor.
Rear Caliper.jpg
Rear Caliper Anchor Plate.jpg
Rear Brake Hose.jpg
Rear Brake Pad.jpg
Rear Brake Pad 2.jpg
Rear Brake Pad 3.jpg
Sponsored