Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How does an email tune vs a dyno tune prevent this? Either way a base tune had to be loaded and evaluated..
You can watch the lambda values from the left bank, right bank, and sniffer and tell more quickly tell when something is off. If the fuel tables are right you’d have a clue that something else (like a bad injector) was wrong.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Low Speed Pre - Ignition can do this to an engine . You guys also have a low fuel pressure sensor that may give false data and cause a fuel starvation at high RPM 's which may grenade the block . I hope OP was logging at the time of the failure . This data will give valuable information to what was happening before the failure ....

Last edited:

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I find it hard to believe this is because of a base tune received from a reputable shop. Unless somehow you got the wrong tune installed. I've tuned some engines with a baseline that wasn't pretty but nothing has happened like this.

What would an e85 tune do on pump? Rich but with excessive detonation I think but dont have e85 tuning experience.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Just by looking at the rings I'd believe crazy high cylinder temp as the rings bent which means they got hot and lost their temper. They should've snapped. ....
what?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Head gasket from what is shown looks intact

I'm sure you were cautious on the intake install but stuff happens to everyone on occasion....
YouTube videos and all

Sponsored

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
Did get gas before you went for the drive? possible you put in 87 or maybe tuner sent you a file for e85. everything is possible with that damage.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
can you get some pics of the cyl heads and the top of the pistons? should be able to see signs of detonation on either.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Piston rings in their normal state are brittle. They would snap when bent like the picture. Once they’ve been very hot they lose their steel tempering and become soft and bendable.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Piston rings in their normal state are brittle. They would snap when bent like the picture. Once they’ve been very hot they lose their steel tempering and become soft and bendable.
I was thinking at first that temps high enough to anneal the (steel) rings would be high enough to melt the (aluminum) piston but actually it’s totally possible. It would require a sustained lean combustion condition (like a knackered injector) and a slow controlled cool down like would happen just by turning off the car and leaving it overnight.

Pretty interesting possibility to be sure.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Other more likely possibility is something hit that piston and cratered it on that one side. Shattered aluminum.... rings holding the chunks in place. Didn’t drop a sledge hammer down the intake do ya? I’ve seen detonation crack pistons, but never an impact looking like that.

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
You can watch the lambda values from the left bank, right bank, and sniffer and tell more quickly tell when something is off. If the fuel tables are right you’d have a clue that something else (like a bad injector) was wrong.
I can watch the values on both banks myself while datalogging, and watch both my widebands to see whats going on.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So installing a new ring on a slug I should be worried about it brittleness? Not bending it?
News to me

If the tune effected the failure what do the other holes look like?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Agreed. Rings are more like a spring steel. They are fairly flexible, or else you would never be able to get them installed. I have never snapped a ring during an install or removal. If they were brittle, then I would probably have a bag of them laying around.

I'm doubling down on something was in the combustion chamber or an injector was not seated correctly or fouled.
Sponsored