Sponsored

Decklid adjustment/alignment

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I just had mine aligned by the dealership I bought it from. Left the car for 2 days and they gave me a loaner to drive. It is now perfect.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think we all know that Ford's QA process leaves a lot to be desired, and consequently, lots of gaps where there shouldn't be any! That being said, while there were several crappy panel fitments on my car, the decklid wasn't one of them...until I got rear ended last year.

It didn't appear that there was major damage (although the cost of the repair would have you wondering!) but I guess at some point the body shop had to remove the trunk lid. When I got the car back, I realized something was off. Looking at it from different angles, something was definitely not right. Gaps were wider on one side than the other, the top corners didn't match up to the quarterpanels, etc.

After pointing this out, I watched the guy "adjust" it. The adjustments were a combination of tiny adjustment to those rubber bumpstops (I don't think that does a whole lot but not sure), and then literally "bending" the hinges!! Yes, I was not too thrilled having to see that at first. He literally opened the trunk and then walked to one side of the rear and pushed on it to bend the hinges the other way. Not hard enough to break them obviously but just to align it better.

In talking to him he explained to me that there really weren't too many adjustment points for that lid. It basically bolts to the hinges and that's it.

In any case, not sure if that will work for you but figured I'd share how mine was adjusted and it definitely looks a lot better (although still not perfect).
He could've loosen the bolts but I guess he was just being lazy.

OP
OP
AllenGJr43

AllenGJr43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White A6 GT
How crooked is it?
Can't hurt to try making it look a bit better.
Yeah I messed with it a little but I don't see how to fix it if there is a way. It's off by about half inch on the driver side, and about quarter inch on the passenger side.

OP
OP
AllenGJr43

AllenGJr43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White A6 GT
I'm bring the car in Monday and leaving it there to get it fixed. Hope they give me a loaner.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I also have the same alignment issue on the hood and trunk.
I'm waiting to take my car into the dealership for my first oil change to address the issue.
They should provide you with a loaner. It is covered by bumper to bumper warranty.
Let us know how your dealership tackles the issue, I'd like to know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AllenGJr43

AllenGJr43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White A6 GT
Grapevine Ford is telling me they don't do rental cars "for this type of stuff." We'll see when I get there. Keep you guys posted.

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
I took mine to the dealership body shop and they fixed it in an hour. They did not tell me what they had to do but it looks 100 times better now. The deck lid was rubbing on the tail lights on my car.

OP
OP
AllenGJr43

AllenGJr43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White A6 GT
Dropped my car off yesterday. Picked it up today. They didn't fix it. Ford ruled it as "normal" and they won't replace the deck lid under warranty. At least I know it's the deck lid itself now. I was going to replace it anyways. Just didn't want to put a aftermarket one on and it still be crooked, then have to swap the stock back on to bring it to them.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
My "crooked" decklid was rubbing paint off the car (only seen when the trunk was open). Dealer replaced it under warranty - not without resistance from Ford, natch, because my using the decklid to open and close the trunk was breaking it, you know :rolleyes:. Afterwards, my service manager noticed it was still not right even before I did. Turned out a taillight needed to be replaced as part of the adjustments made. Car looks perfect now.
And my loaner was covered for both times I had to leave the car.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Dropped my car off yesterday. Picked it up today. They didn't fix it. Ford ruled it as "normal" and they won't replace the deck lid under warranty. At least I know it's the deck lid itself now. I was going to replace it anyways. Just didn't want to put a aftermarket one on and it still be crooked, then have to swap the stock back on to bring it to them.
Did Ford Corporate say it was normal or the dealership?

My dealership originally said it was normal. I then contacted Ford customer service through this forum. My car was fixed within a week ! Thanks Deysha!

Sponsored

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine has a larger gap on the driver side VS the passenger side. I loosened the bolts on the deck lid but there is NO adjustment there, the holes are perfectly matched to the bolt heads. I will try the latch suggested here other wise it sounds like I might have to make a trip to the dealer... That is my ONLY panel gap issue, all other gaps are pretty much even.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
My deck lid is even all the way around. Problem is it's digging grooves into the bumper cover on both sides. The trunk is also wearing against part of the left stop light plastic assembly. Looks like they'd have to lower the bumper cover to make everything work, and that's not feasible.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My deck lid is even all the way around. Problem is it's digging grooves into the bumper cover on both sides. The trunk is also wearing against part of the left stop light plastic assembly. Looks like they'd have to lower the bumper cover to make everything work, and that's not feasible.
Raise the latch in the body to bring the trunk lid up.

OP
OP
AllenGJr43

AllenGJr43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White A6 GT
Did Ford Corporate say it was normal or the dealership?

My dealership originally said it was normal. I then contacted Ford customer service through this forum. My car was fixed within a week ! Thanks Deysha!
According to the Service Manager at Grapevine Ford, Ford said ruled it normal and will not replace the decklid under warranty.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
This thread needs pics! Are you all talking about the back part of the trunk lid that has the GT (or other) emblem on it?
Sponsored