Dealer says Ford changed invoice price

OP
OP
WolfInSheepsClothing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WRX, 145k miles, stock clutch
Thanks to everyone for posting! Changing pricing throughout the year is understandable - but I wanted to check with the forums to be sure. Since graduating, I've been saving for years to get a new car - something special. I understand that when buying a new car, I'm going to get hosed in some way, but still trying to be careful - until I get the car, at least (I already have a list of mods, lol).

Qwkynuf - I'm eligible for x-plan pricing through my work. All I did was mention the company and they gave me the price. The price I posted is what they are giving me ($123 over invoice). I don't have the pin though, I might get it from HR or whoever to check Ford's site, but this price seems legit.

PhillMcKraken & HoosierDaddy - Paying the advertising fee is bs, but I agree if they "remove" it from the price, I will still be paying for it in some manner.

Even though x-plan pricing is good, I'm still going to try for the truecar's pricing which is about 10% off MSRP. I have a coupon code for the $750 private cash Ford is offering - which I would recommend anyone to call in attempt to get it. That was a $750 phone call! So that, with 0% apr gives me confidence. Thanks again for your replies. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Qwkynuf - I'm eligible for x-plan pricing through my work. All I did was mention the company and they gave me the price. The price I posted is what they are giving me ($123 over invoice). I don't have the pin though, I might get it from HR or whoever to check Ford's site, but this price seems legit.
If they are giving you "X-Plan Pricing" without a PIN, keep a really close on on the back-end fees. There isn't anything you can do about tax/tag/title fees, but look for the various (unitemized) "documentation" fees. X-Plan limits them to a *maximum* of $100. I have seen (looking back on some of my earlier car purchases) fees in the $750 to $900 range.

Also, remember that your $750 coupon comes off of X-Plan (or whatever other deal you make). It is not "MSRP - dealer discounts - rebates - coupon = X-Plan Pricing", it is "X-Plan - rebates - coupon = your price".

When I bought mine in November 2014, it was X-Plan - $500 "customer cash" - $750 "loyalty coupon" = $1250 UNDER Xplan (+TTL & $95 doc fee)

It is aways a good idea to educate yourself, and not rely on the experiences of others, though. Read through this to get the straight scoop on X-Plan, directly from Ford. In particular, pay special attention to the section titled "Process and Documentation" and the Obtaining a Vehicle subheading.

The FAQs are also an interesting read - especially #21

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
And NEVER pay for a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)
most Dealers will carge anywhere from $300 to $495 for a tech to remove the plastic, check the fluids, pull the mats out of the trunk and attach the attenna.
the tech gets paid 0.3 labour hours to do this. (i've personally done it hundreds of times...(performed the actual PDI)
9/10 they will remove this charge if you ask them to.

OP
OP
WolfInSheepsClothing
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 WRX, 145k miles, stock clutch
If they are giving you "X-Plan Pricing" without a PIN, keep a really close on on the back-end fees...

it is "X-Plan - rebates - coupon = your price".

The FAQs are also an interesting read - especially #21
Thanks for the info. I haven't dropped the "I have a $750 coupon" bomb yet. Nothing is signed, but the car is in production. Based on what others are saying about production times, the car should be delivered by or before the week of April 25th - which is before the coupon expires. Cutting it close, but it should work out...

I've negotiated a different dealership to $320 below invoice on a car I didn't end up getting because it had too many options that I couldn't justify paying for. This x-plan pricing is $123 over... I just hope I haven't shot myself in the foot by getting x-plan before negotiating.

Any tips/advice for getting a car below invoice? Dealer holdback is around $1210...

And NEVER pay for a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)
most Dealers will carge anywhere from $300 to $495 for a tech to remove the plastic, check the fluids, pull the mats out of the trunk and attach the attenna.
the tech gets paid 0.3 labour hours to do this. (i've personally done it hundreds of times...(performed the actual PDI)
9/10 they will remove this charge if you ask them to.
I don't think these guys are going to try any of that, but I'll be looking for it.
Sponsored