Dash cam Power

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hardwire it and make sure it is on recording in parking mode where possible. A dashcam is quickly climbing my list of requirements. I had my car keyed 3 weeks ago and tonight it had dog leavings (being poliite) smeared across the windscreen...

All done away from the house so need something to watch over it.
Sorry to hear that mate, there are some absolute pricks about. :rant:
Sponsored

OP
OP

vikz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It looks like the usb does power off with the ignition. The port in the centre console lights up when the ignition is on and the camera powers up and shuts off. However, my dashcam - a Transcend DP220 - thinks its connected to a computer when plugged into the usb rather than being in recording mode, so back to the drawing board for me...
Does your dash cam have a plug in point on the mount? I have the next base 312gw. This doesn't happen if you plug into the mount rather than directly to the camera itself.

I think this may be the best option for me. I have no idea about electrics or cars or otherwise so I'm not going to attempt hardwiring.

OP
OP

vikz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hardwire it and make sure it is on recording in parking mode where possible. A dashcam is quickly climbing my list of requirements. I had my car keyed 3 weeks ago and tonight it had dog leavings (being poliite) smeared across the windscreen...

All done away from the house so need something to watch over it.
Sickening. Jealous oxygen thieves!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Does your dash cam have a plug in point on the mount? I have the next base 312gw. This doesn't happen if you plug into the mount rather than directly to the camera itself.

I think this may be the best option for me. I have no idea about electrics or cars or otherwise so I'm not going to attempt hardwiring.
No, have to plug directly into the unit itself. Its no big deal, i leave it connected if I'm only away from the vehicle a short while and unplug it if not using the car for a few days.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
VAG cars (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda) have a very clever system whereby the fuse carrier for the accessory socket (formerly known as the *** lighter) has three blade slots and depending on which two you locate the fuse into (upper pair or lower pair, the central being common) dictates as to whether the socket is ignition or permanently powered.

Probably beyond Ford to come up with something useful like that!

Edit: Good God... political correctness gone mad... this forum happily allows words like fuck to be displayed - but being US based it's asterisked out the word f-a-g! Perhaps I should complain about any use of the phrase 'fanny pack'... and obviously no chance for any Scots to mention one of their national dishes!

Sponsored

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
I have a Thinkware F750 with front and rear cameras.

At first I powered the Thinkware F750 from the Mustang centre console using a well hidden wire. The centre console power adapter remains live for about an hour after turning off the ignition although this time delay seems to be highly variable. This arrangement prevented the Thinkware F750 using parking mode.

I have now used fuse taps to take power from the fuse box inside the car.

The fuses for the 2015 Mustang passenger compartment fuse box are Micro2 type. They have 2 prongs which are closer together than a mini fuse and are onger than a Micro fuse.

For supply connections using the 2015 Mustang passenger compartment fuse box (RHD) use Fuse 2 for permanent +12v and Fuse 23 for ignition switched +12v.

The Thinkware F750 detects the switched +12v and immediately goes into parking mode when the ignition is switched off. In parking mode it only records detected movement to the memory card and presumably uses less power. The Thinkware F750 will power off and stop recording when the battery voltage drops below a configurable voltage which allows for a few hours of parking mode but not enough for all day. I presume that if the Thinkware F750 was permanently powered then it would drain the battery within a day. It does run very hot.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I have a Thinkware F750 with front and rear cameras.

At first I powered the Thinkware F750 from the Mustang centre console using a well hidden wire. The centre console power adapter remains live for about an hour after turning off the ignition although this time delay seems to be highly variable. This arrangement prevented the Thinkware F750 using parking mode.

Thinkware F750 was permanently powered then it would drain the battery within a day. It does run very hot.
Sorry but if you read the manual, and change the settings via the phone app, it can run on park mode for 48 hours. and then as soon as you start the engine it will reset itself for another 48 hours
even rain hitting the windscreen it will pick up,
very hot? there is no heat at all

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Sorry but if you read the manual, and change the settings via the phone app, it can run on park mode for 48 hours. and then as soon as you start the engine it will reset itself for another 48 hours
even rain hitting the windscreen it will pick up,
very hot? there is no heat at all
Sorry but my Thinkware F750 runs in parking mode for a few hours which is limited by battery voltage level. I can switch the ignition on and off but parking mode won't resume until the battery has got some more charge. I know it is using parking mode because it tells me it was when it starts again with the ignition. Parking mode does record almost continually which accounts for the battery drain and the heat but there are some settings to reduce the sensitivity. I will look at the settings again to see if it can be made to run even better.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Sorry but my Thinkware F750 runs in parking mode for a few hours which is limited by battery voltage level. I can switch the ignition on and off but parking mode won't resume until the battery has got some more charge. I know it is using parking mode because it tells me it was when it starts again with the ignition. Parking mode does record almost continually which accounts for the battery drain and the heat but there are some settings to reduce the sensitivity. I will look at the settings again to see if it can be made to run even better.
it does not record continually, only when there is motion or heavy rain, or it hears something, when i check mine just out of interest, it can be like 4am and it will come on for 20 seconds
as for running hot, I would get that looked at very quick. you don't electrics to run hot, maybe that is why it's cutting out till the battery gets cold
and here is proof from Thinkware

www.thinkware.com/Products/f750
Recording / Parking Surveillance Mode Ready / Rear View Camera Ready ..... you can adjust the recording time from 1 hour up to 48 hours for protection of your ...
Sponsored