Daily drivers, Under what circumstances do you "let the horses run?"

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
UGH! :explode: I was driving home from work and not even 1 mile out I ran over something at 40 mph and blew a tire on maybe 3 month old tires. I know this is not related to the topic at hand, but when I order my mustang you can be sure I will be ordering the optional spare!
That was one of two options that I chose with mine when we ordered it. 50th Anniversary package and spare tire.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
And senior living facilities.
:cwl: Always fun to make those folks in walkers and wheelchairs scramble to get out of the way, eh? :bandit:

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Don’t know what you mean. I drive slowly up to the posted speed limit and never exceed the limit or go faster than is safe for conditions.

Right State Farm?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Don’t know what you mean. I drive slowly up to the posted speed limit and never exceed the limit or go faster than is safe for conditions.

Right State Farm?

Give this man a discount! Or....a polygraph!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went 120 mph yesterday on accident on a really long, straight road after I passed all the traffic.

I was just listening to the exhaust sound before realizing it... It was mezmorizing. It's also crazy how easy it is to get up to speeds.

This all happened in Mexico btw.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Right State Farm?
Is this like;
"Hey, I just saved a ton of money on car insurance by outrunning the cops!!"

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
How do you define "let the horses run?" Flooring it or some lesser RPM level?

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Right before Sunday School I do a big ole toast burn out in the overflow parking lot. Preacher always watches with those eyes but gives the thumbs up. During main service he blesses those that made it early to Sunday School, because they learned a little bit more about heaven and also what hell smells like. Some reason he stares at me...

Ok, I kid, but ... in all honesty it's not easy being fast in the city. Folks hear you coming and get in race mode. I'm just trying to catch the pace car. Blinkers and slow lane changes, but you always get someone that wants a show down. I'm not revving at you sir, but damn you are at me... sorry, but you seem jealous.... bye.... then maybe I drop a gear and show some business, but still. Not easy on the I-### around here daily.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
How do you define "let the horses run?" Flooring it or some lesser RPM level?
Depends where. Major highways are always iffy because we have county and state guys always on the look-out and even with high-quality detection, if they're hiding in a good spot with a laser they'll nail your ass before you can blink. Hell, we even have a few that sit on the freeway entrance ramps, and it doesn't help that there was a major racing bust 2 miles from me where over 50 or so got Summons :-(

But on other straight roads where there are never any cops and it's open, yeah, let it run. Get up to about 130 or so and cruise for a minute just to air it out. Dry days, enjoy the back roads a bit. There's a line though between enjoying things and being a dangerous douche.

Sponsored

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think for the most part just running the car up to 5 or 10 over the speed limit from a stop or slow crawl (with revs not more than 4-5K) and then letting it settle down a few times each drive (to wherever) is enough to satisfy the need for speed (for me). I think if one is in the habit of flooring it frequently you're asking for trouble with the law and trouble with the car down the road. Mine's still under 1,000 miles, so I haven't fully dropped the hammer. I'm sure I will at some point a few times, but I don't intend to make a habit of it.

fkscreennames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Magnetic Metallic
I’m pretty relaxed unless a left lane camper gets under my skin or people tailgate my ass. I’ve watched too many videos on r/roadcam & r/idiotsincars to not want to end up on there.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But on other straight roads where there are never any cops and it's open, yeah, let it run. Get up to about 130 or so and cruise for a minute just to air it out. Dry days, enjoy the back roads a bit. There's a line though between enjoying things and being a dangerous douche.
There's a line though between enjoying things and being a dangerous douche.
No doubt. I don't think I'd personally have the stones to go 130 on a public road. That'd make for a hell of a ticket, etc.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I drive it like granddad until I get it to the track, then I flog it for all it's worth.
I don't want to add more bad joss to the already negative opinion many people have about people driving Mustangs.
Sponsored