Sponsored

Daily Driver Square Tire Setup

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I mean its just best practice in general for maintaining your car especially for a daily. You don't want uneven wear on tires and rotating tires helps aid in preventing/identifying this issue.
But that's for cars that have same offset and wheels sizes from the factory allowing that to be an option but our cars don't come like that stock.

It's a RWD car with 450+ hp, the rear tires wear faster than the fronts. So you can split the wear more evenly.
Any single axle driven car will wear out those tyres faster than the un-driven axle. So you swap the wheels about and then you have to replace all four tyres same time rather than one axle at time with the occasional both ends needing replaced same time.

Suppose different strokes for different folks.
Sponsored

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
But that's for cars that have same offset and wheels sizes from the factory allowing that to be an option but our cars don't come like that stock.
Might be untrue for your car but some of us did receive/get a car with a square stance from factory, and even on the staggered setups, you could in theory rotate the rears with each other and the fronts with each other, assuming you don't have directional tires (which all the factory options to my knowledge are asymmetric anyways).

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue

Any single axle driven car will wear out those tyres faster than the un-driven axle. So you swap the wheels about and then you have to replace all four tyres same time rather than one axle at time with the occasional both ends needing replaced same time.

Suppose different strokes for different folks.
Well, it's nice to have even wear all around. So you don't have weird handling or sub-par wet weather performance.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Since we’re talking changing wheel size, how much of an effect will the smaller 285/35 r19 be vs 275/40 r19?

Smaller tires will rotate more per mile so doesn’t that mess with your speedometer/odometer accuracy?
All other things remaining the same, will Smaller accelerate faster? Slower? Same?

I think it is theoretically less stress on the engine during hard pulls but with a lower top speed and lower mpg.

Lastly, with a square setup, I will be raising the front end slightly (coming from stock 255/40 r19). Does it affect the aerodynamics significantly at high speed? Again in theory, the stock setup for the mach 1 makes it lower in the front so for drag and high speed applications, The weight balance helps you maintain control.

I’m realizing that changing wheels is not a one and done mod. At some point, some selective lowering may be needed. Apologies if this is off topic but the thread made me realize these concerns.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Might be untrue for your car but some of us did receive/get a car with a square stance from factory, and even on the staggered setups, you could in theory rotate the rears with each other and the fronts with each other, assuming you don't have directional tires (which all the factory options to my knowledge are asymmetric anyways).
Ah fair point well re some Mustangs came with same sized / offset all round.
Well, it's nice to have even wear all around. So you don't have weird handling or sub-par wet weather performance.
I doubt most of us daily drivers would notice that much of a difference tbh but I can see you point. I do notice the rear moving about more as the tyres get down to their wear strips in winter / crap weather but it's hardly something I worry about.

Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I wish this site was posted as a sticky to help people out with tire sizes: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
It is not going to be 100% accurate as tire manufactures are all different, but gives a close representation of what will happen when changing tire sizes from stock.

Going from the stock PP1 setup to the one in my sig, the difference was very small which barely affected the speedo, ie: -1mph at 90mph. Basically keeping the same sidewall, but a little over an inch wider. I went with Project 6GR wheels which lightened up each corner, too, over stock. Car is lowered, too.

full.jpg

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Since we’re talking changing wheel size, how much of an effect will the smaller 285/35 r19 be vs 275/40 r19?

Smaller tires will rotate more per mile so doesn’t that mess with your speedometer/odometer accuracy?
All other things remaining the same, will Smaller accelerate faster? Slower? Same?

I think it is theoretically less stress on the engine during hard pulls but with a lower top speed and lower mpg.

Lastly, with a square setup, I will be raising the front end slightly (coming from stock 255/40 r19). Does it affect the aerodynamics significantly at high speed? Again in theory, the stock setup for the mach 1 makes it lower in the front so for drag and high speed applications, The weight balance helps you maintain control.

I’m realizing that changing wheels is not a one and done mod. At some point, some selective lowering may be needed. Apologies if this is off topic but the thread made me realize these concerns.
You're over thinking it, but lets go through some of those.

255/40R19 and 275/40R19 to square 285/35R19 - the front gets a little lower (-0.18), the rear gets slightly lower yet (-0.8") - that's a rake difference of ~0.6". That's a a 0.3° rake angle change over the wheelbase of the car from the tires changing, so yeah, basically inconsequential.

The gearing change is -3% a the rear wheels, which means you get +3% more torque and have to shift -3% sooner. "stress on the engine" is less than the difference from having a passenger or not, so also not a big factor.

Your speedometer can be corrected for the difference in the as-built configuration file (ford ships some mustangs with the very short 305/30R19 tires, and so there's a way to configure the software for different tire diameters), but anyway with a 285/35R19 its only a 2mph difference at 60 (your shorter tires would read 61.8 at 60mph), its barely worth the effort to change.

OP
OP

Cali5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Anyone ever consider going with a 20” wheel vs the 19”

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
To run which 20” tire? The wheel is there to support your tire choice.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine used to run 20x10 square with 285/35r20 tires on his '15 GT. Like the 275/40r19 setup, it fills the wheel well better than 285/35r19.

OP
OP

Cali5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'll be switching the 285/35R19 square on my 19x9.5" RTR wheels
Going to Continental DW sports... I like them better than PS4S
Also they are non-directional for rotation
What do you mean they are non-directional for rotation?

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Just to make your life harder here are some pics of mine (19x9.5 w/ 285/35 square)

20230710_200129.jpg
20230710_193830.jpg
20230710_194119.jpg
Nice photos. I'm interested in your opinion of tire bulge with 285s on a 19.5 inch rim. It looks like the sidewall is bulging pretty well. Have you ever tried a 275/40 on the 9.5 inch rims?

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Nice photos. I'm interested in your opinion of tire bulge with 285s on a 19.5 inch rim. It looks like the sidewall is bulging pretty well. Have you ever tried a 275/40 on the 9.5 inch rims?
So I don't love the bulge but I do like the overall stance of 285/35 and the summer tire selection it comes with. I did consider going 275/40 square but I ended up settling on 285. My long term plan is to move to 19x10 and go with even lighter rims later on but I'm waiting on a house so I don't have to do tire hotel any longer lol. I might go 275/40 on the next set though just to see just because extra sidewall in the midwest never hurts (looks at the nearest pothole).

Should also preface that this is my first ever time running a summer and winter setup my prior car to the mustangs I owned was a 2014 elantra with all seasons. So these tires were my first big car purchase (and very well spent with both my eco that I had and now my gt).
Sponsored