Sponsored

Cortex Goodies

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
For all the 2015 Mustang early buyers out there: What would be your damper of choice for the rear IRS of the new 2015 Mustang if you took cost vs value into consideration? Prices are approximate and include springs, mounts, and applicable hardware for a pair of rear shocks. Naturally, matching front struts are available. The line up we are offering is:

Koni Single adjustable ~ $1200
JRi Single Adjustable ~ $1600 (looks the same as the DA)
JRi Double Adjustable ~ $2400
Penske 7500 DA (Drag Race Applications) ~ $1800
Penske 7500 DA ~ $1800
Penske 8300 DA Remote Reservoir ~ $2400
Ohlins TTX DA ~ $3600

RL4e2Rp.jpg

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I hope Terry Fair from Vorshlag tests each and every one of those!

I would probably spring for something like KW V3's, nice stainless bodies and decent adjustability.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
For me, anything Linear and non-progressive. Those Ohlins look nice but one I'm definitely not looking to spend that kind of money unless i get more into tracking the stang, two they look progressive. Although they look a little different than most progressive setups i've seen. More of a dual spring set-up to achieve the same goal vs a real progressive spring. Then again I've been out of the coil-over/suspension market for a few years now.

Is the Mustang using a true coil-over setup on all four corners? or do you have to split up the springs and shocks in the rear?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
For me, anything Linear and non-progressive. Those Ohlins look nice but one I'm definitely not looking to spend that kind of money unless i get more into tracking the stang, two they look progressive. Although they look a little different than most progressive setups i've seen. More of a dual spring set-up to achieve the same goal vs a real progressive spring. Then again I've been out of the coil-over/suspension market for a few years now.

Is the Mustang using a true coil-over setup on all four corners? or do you have to split up the springs and shocks in the rear?

I don't think you can see a progressive spring with your eyes. The Ohlins dual spring isn't necessarily two different rates. The smaller helper spring is merely there to maintain preload during droop. KW setups usually have the same thing.

Also there isn't really a true coilover setup unless you switch out the front struts with an SLA. The fronts will remain McPherson struts otherwise. For the rears I don't see an advantage to having the spring on the shock for this particular car.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Progressive on the left and linear on the right. That is the visual difference. At least with most progressive springs that I'm familiar with, apparently there is another design of progressive spring that looks similar to a linear spring but just looks awkward.

And thanks for the info. I can agree with that (i got a little ahead of myself and jumped the gun calling them progressive, they all look linear), the large spring itself is a linear spring, i'm not real familiar with the effects of a helper spring. As for real coilovers I always just assumed a real coilover just had to have the spring over the shock. Guess that's just a MP strut vs what is pictured above.

Edit: Got it.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I don't think you can see a progressive spring with your eyes. The Ohlins dual spring isn't necessarily two different rates. The smaller helper spring is merely there to maintain preload during droop. KW setups usually have the same thing.

Also there isn't really a true coilover setup unless you switch out the front struts with an SLA. The fronts will remain McPherson struts otherwise. For the rears I don't see an advantage to having the spring on the shock for this particular car.
By the very definition of coil over, McPherson struts with the coil spring over the strut body are considered coilovers. The aftermarket has co-opted the term to mean any adjustable spring perch utilizing a common 2.5", 2.25", or 60mm spring inner diameter. Filip is going to make strut bodies for the S550 with adjustable spring perches just like he did for the S197 chassis and the Fox/SN95 chassis.

I also don't think Vorshlag will be testing these products but I could be wrong. They seem plenty content to stick to their Motons and MCS coilover setups.

Spring location relative to the shock should have some consideration given. Pairing the two together ensures that they see the same amount of force which makes the damper better at doing it's job. Given how far out the damper is on the S550 it improves the spring motion ratio which reduces the necessary spring rate to accomplish the job. The expense is inboard wheel/tire room but from what I've heard the S550 has plenty of room out back for some rather large wheels and tires.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I also don't think Vorshlag will be testing these products but I could be wrong. They seem plenty content to stick to their Motons and MCS coilover setups.

Spring location relative to the shock should have some consideration given. Pairing the two together ensures that they see the same amount of force which makes the damper better at doing it's job. Given how far out the damper is on the S550 it improves the spring motion ratio which reduces the necessary spring rate to accomplish the job. The expense is inboard wheel/tire room but from what I've heard the S550 has plenty of room out back for some rather large wheels and tires.

I recall having a conversation with you back when the S550 suspension was first revealed. Having a few months' worth of experience now, do you think the S550 setup requires fewer upgrades(geometry changes like the S197) to work well with ride height changes?

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would love to hear more on all of this. Let's keep it going. I for one want to drop my GT PP a bit but more than anything I want to improve the handling. None of this all show and no go...it needs to out perform the stock GT PP springs and dampers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tim Hilliard

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Would love to hear more on all of this. Let's keep it going. I for one want to drop my GT PP a bit but more than anything I want to improve the handling. None of this all show and no go...it needs to out perform the stock GT PP springs and dampers.
oh it will, plus the front set up will allow 11" front wheels with 315 tires just like the S197 system they have. Besides wheels and tires this is where all my money is being spent, engine has plenty of power.

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
oh it will, plus the front set up will allow 11" front wheels with 315 tires just like the S197 system they have. Besides wheels and tires this is where all my money is being spent, engine has plenty of power.
Mmmm mmm good!:D