Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Am I to understand this modification is all sound and no performance enhancement?
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Am I to understand this modification is all sound and no performance enhancement?
Correct, change in sound. Similar to the resonator delete except I think resonator delete will save about 4-5lbs is my understanding.

I have not seen or heard about a pickup in HP with this mod.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I would argue there is a nominal amount of power to be gained. When looking at the factory x-pipe compared to the Corsa double helix design, that section of the Corsa pipe undoubtedly flows better. Apart from cats, the factory x is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. Then there is the resonator delete. The R made like 5whp more than the standard 350 because it lacked resonators. Borla has shown a dyno sheet indicating roughly a 20hp gain with their x pipe and mufflers. They attribute the gains to both the x pipe and mufflers. So, there is probably a nominal gain with this mod. I would bet 10-15whp...not a bad collateral effect to sound enhancement.

HI_OFFCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey fellas, my car is headed back to Corsa for hopefully what will be the final off-tool for their system. I'll keep you guys posted. Supposed to have my car back Feb. 10th.

Reactions: TDC

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Hey fellas, my car is headed back to Corsa for hopefully what will be the final off-tool for their system. I'll keep you guys posted. Supposed to have my car back Feb. 10th.
Will that be just the mid-pipe you're getting, or mid-pipe with mufflers?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I would argue there is a nominal amount of power to be gained. When looking at the factory x-pipe compared to the Corsa double helix design, that section of the Corsa pipe undoubtedly flows better. Apart from cats, the factory x is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. Then there is the resonator delete. The R made like 5whp more than the standard 350 because it lacked resonators. Borla has shown a dyno sheet indicating roughly a 20hp gain with their x pipe and mufflers. They attribute the gains to both the x pipe and mufflers. So, there is probably a nominal gain with this mod. I would bet 10-15whp...not a bad collateral effect to sound enhancement.
The power increases was not due to lack of resonators but due to wheel weight rotational mass difference between the R and the Base wheels.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The power increases was not due to lack of resonators but due to wheel weight rotational mass difference between the R and the Base wheels.
I heard a different assessment. I guess the only way to know is to have the same wheels on the car.

Sponsored

HI_OFFCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Catalytic converters aren't as restrictive as they used to be, especially in performance vehicles. The notion that there can't be anything in the exhaust more restrictive than the cats is nonsense.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are the Borla results fiction?
As much as I love Borla, I'm hard pressed to believe ANY power gains from a catback alone from any manufacturer. Flow capability is one thing. Actual power gains? Completely different. Yes manufacturers give dyno numbers but we also have no idea what conditions those were under and how many runs were done to produce those results with what deviations.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
As much as I love Borla, I'm hard pressed to believe ANY power gains from a catback alone from any manufacturer. Flow capability is one thing. Actual power gains? Completely different. Yes manufacturers give dyno numbers but we also have no idea what conditions those were under and how many runs were done to produce those results with what deviations.
True! However I am certain there is a power gain. Although I have not yet hit the rollers with the ATAK installed, I can most certainly say there is a difference in throttle response and butt dyno. From My experience, roughly a 20hp bump can perceived by my butt...LOL ; ) So, I would say that Borla's dyno chart is probable but as you mentioned, conditions may vary along with results.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's going to make any other downstream restriction negligible.
That's absolutely not true. While any downstream restriction does not have the same magnitude of effect, it absolutely does matter and the improvements via a well-designed cross-flow pipe make a bigger difference on a flat plane engine. The entire system from manifold to exhaust tip contributes to the speed the exhaust gasses have leaving it.
Sponsored