zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Curious if OP has driven a twin car and a roots blower car. I think if you had, you'd scrap the blower idea no hesitation.
Intersted to know your reasoning? I understand that more power can be had with a twin screw over a roots style but maximum top end power is not the goal of this project? Plus a roots blower is a tenth the price of a comparable twin screw. For the price of a twin screw I would just go by a full coyote drivetrain....
Sponsored

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
Intersted to know your reasoning? I understand that more power can be had with a twin screw over a roots style but maximum top end power is not the goal of this project? Plus a roots blower is a tenth the price of a comparable twin screw. For the price of a twin screw I would just go by a full coyote drivetrain....
Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to Twin Turbo. OP was already contemplating going this route based off the F150 ecoboost manifolds. Twins can offer a nice a nice low and top end if setup correctly.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to Twin Turbo. OP was already contemplating going this route based off the F150 ecoboost manifolds. Twins can offer a nice a nice low and top end if setup correctly.
Ahh ok makes more sense now. This is the exact issue I am debating between... The twins will make some decent low end but not nearly as instant as the roots blower. That said, I think both will have an issue with dying out up top... The biggest issue I have with the twins is that there was apparently difficulty in tuning the setup due to the size of the turbos. I think the roots blower might be a bit easier to tune for considering they already have a supercharger tune created for the 3.7. I could be completely wrong here though...

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I read on an F150 forum some people speculating about the restrictive factory manifolds, the general opinion was that Ford engineers made the port so small purposely to reduce turbo lag by increasing exhaust velocity in the manifold. Again, this was just speculation, but when you look at pics like that illustrating just how small the port really is, it makes you wonder "What the hell were they thinking!?" :confused::shrug::headbonk:

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I am starting to become more convinced that the restrictive stock 3.5 manifolds are the cause of tuning difficulties. Most issues seemed to be caused due to lots of back pressure. I think the immediate turbo spool causes some of this, but I bet that most of it is from the headers...

Photo source: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-ford-f-150-boosting-the-ecoboost/
I believe the issues you had with back pressure was the result of the restrictive F150 manifolds along with your stock diameter 2.25" exhaust. Those two things alone I think are killing any top end power the turbos and engine can produce.

Less restrictive and a full 3" turboback would likely do wonders for the twin turbo setup.

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
I believe the issues you had with back pressure was the result of the restrictive F150 manifolds along with your stock diameter 2.25" exhaust. Those two things alone I think are killing any top end power the turbos and engine can produce.

Less restrictive and a full 3" turboback would likely do wonders for the twin turbo setup.
I have now swapped to catless downpipes and full 3" catback exhaust without mufflers.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I have now swapped to catless downpipes and full 3" catback exhaust without mufflers.
Nice. Have you got the car re-tuned? If so did you gain any power?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Have not re tuned yet. It is on my to do list, but I have been bogged down with school work lately.
I am thinking mid next month on pulling the trigger on the custom turbo headers and completing a twin turbo setup. I will be sure to create a thread/update my project thread on my progress. If you are interested, we can see if they will create another set of headers once I can confirm that the first set fits.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
So zack..dropping the blower idea and going eco turbo?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So zack..dropping the blower idea and going eco turbo?
Thinking about it.... haha

The eco turbos would provide a bit more top end power I think. The blower idea would work and would be different but I just can't find an efficient way to include an intercooler. Machining costs for a new lower intake and fabrication costs are just far to much to pursue. Non intercooled would be the way to go but then you will be limited to very low boost and I just have that horsepower bug now...

So with all of that said, I think I am going to follow in Kody's footsteps and complete a twin turbo setup. I have been studying Kody's build for awhile now and I believe I have a plan to elevate most of the issues he encountered. That plan would include the custom headers, full 3 inch exhaust, and a few other tweaks... Another benefit to the turbo swap is that MPT should already have a base tune ready (as long as I use the same injectors and MAP sensor).

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking mid next month on pulling the trigger on the custom turbo headers and completing a twin turbo setup. I will be sure to create a thread/update my project thread on my progress. If you are interested, we can see if they will create another set of headers once I can confirm that the first set fits.
Who is making the headers, and are you trying to have them be a direct replacement or will they be difference dimensions?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Who is making the headers, and are you trying to have them be a direct replacement or will they be difference dimensions?
A company called GP Headers. I have seen some of their work first hand and was very impressed. Hoping to get the headers made from 321 stainless. As far as dimensions go, my only requirement for this is that they keep the turbo in the same location as OEM. Other then that they have free reign on how to route the pipes.

As a question, are their any interference issues between the turbos and the engine? It looks like the passsenger side water pipe might have to be moved but I’m not sure. It should fit just like the 3.5 does since the 3.7 is basically the same engine in terms of exterior dimensions.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Will having the stock catted downpipes hinder any gains from the custom headers with the eco turbos? I live in a state where you have to meet California standard emissions. That and I heard high flow cats are a waste of money.
Sponsored