Sponsored

Compounds & Polishes – The Path to Shiny Paint!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I’ll be upfront here in saying that paint correction is a work in progress for me. Yes, I have been polishing cars for more than 20 years, starting off by hand before transitioning to an entry level dual-action polisher. In my earlier days, I would be using Mother’s California Gold Pure Polish with the classic yellow foam disk from Meguiar’s. My dual action polisher kit was from Waxit and came with a selection of Menzerna polishing compounds.

apr271.jpg

With no prior experience in selecting and then using polishing compounds, I was flying blind. As such, I just dealt with the massive amount of dust created and the difficult wipe off that accompanied those early Menzerna products. Funnily, despite not using them for almost a decade, I only recently got rid of those Merzerna compounds. I have no doubt that the modern Menzerna stuff has improved, but I sort of moved on to other brands.

IMG-1486.jpg

At this point, we need to talk terminology. At the risk of offending a certain subset, the term “Cut n Polish” is a very old fashioned way of describing the process of removing scratches and improving the shine of a cars paint. In fact, I find the term “cut n polish” irksome, but then I guess the same could be said about the idea of a “paint correction”.

You may also come across terms like diminishing or non-diminishing when talking about polishes and compounds -

The abrasives within a diminishing product will break down over the cycle, which in turn allows it to remove defects while breaking down as you work to leave a glossy finish.

A non-diminishing product will remain consistent across the cycle, meaning that the level of cut is the same at the start and end of the polishing cycle.

Both of the above have their pro’s and con’s, which I will outline as I go.

The following information centers around machine polishing, in particular the use a dual action (DA) or random orbital (RO) polisher. While those products can also be used by hand, you will not reach the full potential of each product.

With that, in modern terms there are four main types of polishing liquids……………………….

Correction Compounds –

These products are the proverbial sledgehammer, often called “rocks in a bottle”! Able to remove moderate to severe paint defects, correction compounds are more aggressive in nature and remove more clear coat as they level down deeper scratches and oxidation. The tradeoff being that often a second step could be needed to remove the micro-marring and haziness left behind.

Where & When – A correction compound will typically be needed on harder European paint systems from the likes of BMW and Mercedes. They can also be used to deep clean and remove water spots from glass.

Suitable Examples – My usage of heavier correction compounds is limited, a blessing brough on by the careful maintenance and medium paint hardness common to my Ford’s. However, I do have them in my cabinet, often used for dealing with cloudy headlights or spot treatments.

Rupes D/A Coarse – This is a non-diminishing compound, which some may find a benefit or drawback. On the plus side, D/A Course’s extended working time would suit harder paints that require sustained cutting performance. On the negative side, you will need to follow up with a second polishing step on most paint systems. I’ve found this product to be virtually dust free and a relatively easy wipe off.

RUPES | D-A Coarse High Performance Cut Polishing Compound – Car Supplies Warehouse
Get Rupes DA Coarse Compound Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

rupesdac101.jpg

Sonax Cut Max – This is an aggressive product that rates 6/6 for cutting performance by Sonax. A solvent free product, the wipe off is easy and the dusting low. Compared to the non-diminishing Rupes D/A Coarse, Cutmax is a diminishing compound, so it can finish down ok on harder paints. Teamed with a Rupes Coarse Wool pad, this is my go-to for refreshing cloudy headlights.

Sonax Cutmax Compound | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
SONAX PROFILINE CutMax 06-04 250ml/1L (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-4077.jpg

IMG-4081.jpg

The Last Cut – This is not something I have used, but from all accounts, The Last Cut is the real deal. It’s important to note that there are two variants of this product, however the one to go for is the original and not the “Plus” version. With a long working time, TLC is able to remove severe defects while leaving little in the way of hazing. The wipe off is said to be easy and contains no fillers, so what you see is what you get. You can also use TLC with foam, microfiber or wool pads depending on what level of cut is required.

THE LAST DETAIL | The Last Cut | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
TLD | The Last Cut Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

Polishing Compounds –

Often called finishing compounds, these products are for minor to moderate defect removal and are all about chasing that last percentage of perfection. Because of their milder abrasive package, polishing compounds will remove less clear coat and are often the best place to start when trailing pad/polish combinations. For the most part, finishing polishes are easier and more forgiving to work with.

Where & When – Ideal on medium to softer paint systems or where only minor correction is required, a finishing polish will take you a long way. These products are also used to clean up haziness left behind after using a heavier correction compound.

Suitable Examples – This is a category where I have more experience. At the moment, I have two in my cabinet that serve similar roles but go about it slightly different.

Carpro Reflect – This is a product that I generally always start with when trialing pad and polish combinations. Why? Because this is one of the most forgiving polishes on the market, producing NO dust and featuring a butter smooth wipe off. However, it only posses the very mildest of correction ability, so its use is somewhat limited to soft paint or as a final step jeweling polish. But whenever I get a chance to use it, I know I’m going to get a supremely glossy finish with minimal effort.

CARPRO Reflect High Gloss Finishing Polish 250ml (8oz) (carpro-us.com)
Get CarPro Reflect Finishing Polish Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-1842.jpg

Rupes D/A Fine – Just like D/A Coarse, this product is a non-diminishing polish which allows for a sustained level of correction throughout the set of passes. It can be teamed with a soft foam finishing pad to jewel up the paint, or paired with the Rupes Yellow Wool pad to offer some pretty decent correction. D/A Fine is also very forgiving to use with low to no dusting and a relatively easy wipe off.

RUPES | D-A Fine Polishing Compound – Car Supplies Warehouse
Rupes DA Fine Finishing Compound – Waxit Car Care

IMG-0275.jpg

One-Step Compounds –

A One-Step Compound is a diminishing polishing liquid that can provide up to moderate paint correction (cut), while breaking down as its cycled to deliver a high gloss finish (polish). In most cases, this balance of cut and finish can be dialed up or down depending on pad choice. If you only need to remove minor wash induced swirls, then team with a softer foam pad. Need to do some moderate correction without having to follow with a finishing polish, then choose a firmer foam or moderate wool pad.

Where & When – A One-Step product is ideal for those who don’t want to chase ultimate perfection via a two-stage correction. However, with the right pad combination, a product like this is going to delivery a level of finish few could argue with. In most cases, I’m using a One-Step on my cars.

Suitable Examples – These are products I use the most. While I love detailing, I’m not into multi-step corrections.

Sonax Perfect Finish – This is quite a versatile product, one that every car guy should have in their cabinet. With a firmer foam pad, Perfect Finish can do some pretty decent cutting but without the possible micro marring a correction compound would likely inflict. On a softer finishing pad, Perfect Finish delivers just that, a “perfect” finish. It can also be used as a final finishing or jeweling step on harder paint systems.

Sonax Perfect Finish | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
SONAX PROFILINE Perfect Finish 04-06 250ml/1L (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-1875.jpg

Scholl Concepts S20 Black – Compared to Perfect Finish, this product seems to offer more cutting performance, and yet it will still finish out nicely. I used S20 Black for a long time, but moved away from it due to the dusty nature, and despite the claims on the bottle, I found it a touch harder to remove. However, S20 is a very capable and useful product to have.

Scholl Concepts S20 BLACK - 1 Kg (carpro-us.com)
Scholl Concepts | S20 Black 1-Step (Easy Clean) | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

dec298.jpg

All-in-One (AIO) & Primer Polishes –

These are products that contain an abrasive to remove minor imperfections and create a high gloss finish, while also leaving behind some form of sealant. In other words, you are polishing and protecting in one step. These products also typically contain fillers to help mask defects.

In recent years, these AIO’s have morphed into what is called a “primer polish” for ceramic coatings. The benefit here is the base layer of Si02 left behind, which in turn helps improve the bond of the following ceramic coating. A primer polish is not always needed, but can be beneficial on soft paint systems.

Where & When – These products are popular for those who are time constrained but still want to achieve some level of paint correction while boosting gloss and slickness. Quite often, a AIO will be offered by a professional as an entry level paint enhancement or pre-sale clean up.

Suitable Examples – There are many products to choose from in this category, from those that contain waxes or polymer sealants, through to those fortified with ceramic Si02. The two shown below cover both old and new school.

Rupes Uno Protect – this is the older/original version of Uno Protect, differing from the new Si02 Uno Advanced in that it contains a polymer sealant. Objectively, the newer version offers more robust protection from the Si02, but the original is still a fine product that can achieve some decent correction while delivering a high gloss finish.

Rupes Uno Protect - One Step Polish & Sealant | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
Get Rupes UNO Protect One Step Polish & Sealant Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG-0765.jpg

Carpro Essence – Again, there are two versions of this product. The newer Essence+ is a non-abrasive coating rejuvenator, while in this case I’m referencing the original which has an abrasive. Essence is one the easiest polishing liquids you will ever use, it produces no dust and the wipe off is supremely easy. Correction ability is limited, but you expect a few months of protection, or use it as a base layer for a ceramic coating.

CARPRO Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer 250ml (8oz) (carpro-us.com)
Get CarPro Essence Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-7113.jpg

Glass Polishing –

Due to the incredibly hard surface, glass requires more aggression than paint. Having said that, you need to realistic in what is achievable when polishing glass. Removing water spots and overall improving clarity is very achievable and can be done with any heavy cutting compound teamed with an aggressive foam, wool or microfiber pad. However, attempting to remove scratches is a long and messy progress that requires specific glass compounds and pads. There are two products that I use to address either situation.

P&S Clarity Crème – This is a specific glass polish that is great for removing bonded contamination and water spots, in turn improving clarity. I team this with a blue Lake Country foam cutting pad. What I like about Clarity Crème is that its waaaay easier and less messy to use than the next product.

P&S | Clarity Creme Glass Polish – Car Supplies Warehouse
P&S Clarity Creme Glass Polish (autobuff.com.au)

IMG_6780.jpg

Carpro Ceri-Glass – Not going to mince words here, this stuff sucks to use. It requires specific Rayon pads, needs supplemental cooling/lubrication (water), is difficult to remove from the glass and is extremely messy. Ceri-Glass is also HYPER abrasive, so be ultra careful removing splatter from paint or surrounding areas. And unlike Clarity Crème, you absolutely MUST tape up rubber window trims with Ceri-Glass. However, no other product has the ability to deal with scratches on glass like Ceri-Glass can, or any cerium oxide-based product for that matter. Again, be realistic in what you can achieve, you need to work the affected area multiple times, being mindful of heat generation, and even then, you may only knock the edges off the scratch.

CARPRO CeriGlass Polish Kit (150ml) (carpro-us.com)
Get CarPro CeriGlass Polish Kit | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-0699.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

In almost all cases, I would default to Clarity Crème for its superior user experience, however Ceri-Glass has a very defined role and would be worth having just in case.

Metal Polishing –

I like to keep this category simple. While there are many offerings from the fancy brands, something as simple as Mother’s Mag & Aluminum Polish or Autosol will do everything you need from a metal polish at an agreeable price. Because these products are largely used by hand and the surface they are used on are pretty consistent, the intricacies that separate paint polishing compounds doesn’t really apply here.

Glazes –

These products are from a bygone era, although they are still available for those who roll that way. Glazes are used to mask and fill imperfections while delivering a huge boost in gloss and slickness. However, the results are short lived and generally removed in short order. Glazes were once a popular product for those attending car shows, in theory delivering that show winning shine. However, there are numerous spray and wipe products on the market now that perform this same role without having to dig out the polisher. Think P&S Dream Maker.

Tips and Tricks –

Buy the smallest bottle first!
Always buy the smallest bottle when trying a new polishing liquid for the first time. If you like it, then progress to the larger bottle when you run out. Last thing you want is an expensive bottle of polish gathering dust at the back of the cabinet if it ends up being crap.

Least aggression first!
While it might be tempting to go in all guns blazing, but its always best to try the least aggressive pad and polish combination first. If it works, great, you will preserve more clear coat. If not, then work your way up until you get the desired level of correction.

Close the lid!
This is a good habit to get into, closing the lid after dispensing each time. This prevents evaporation and maintains the integrity of the compound.

Be realistic!
There is a price to pay for ultimate perfection, and it’s the clear coat that bears the brunt of that. You need to be mindful of chasing imperfections to the highest degree at the expense of clear coat thickness. This is especially so the newer the car gets as manufacturers produce thinner and thinner paint systems. Be smart and err on the side of caution……………..a respray is very expensive.

Butter it up!
The Rupes Claw Tool is a must have in my opinion. This tool combines a brush and primer blade, allowing you to spread and prime the pad prior to use on one end, and brush out the pad between sets on the other.

Rupes Claw Pad Tool (carpro-us.com)
Get Rupes Bigfoot Claw Pad Tool Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-7118.jpg

The Wipe Off!
Some products are harder to wipe off than others. In those situations, a small spritz of either a rinse-less wash like ONR or your prep spray can help cut through that initial layer of polish residue that little bit easier.

Swap them out!
Some products can clog up the pad as its cycled, in turn altering the level cut. Either swap to a clean pad or use an on-the-fly pad washer to ensure you limit this from happening and compromising your results.

Lake Country - System 4000 Pad Washer | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
Get Lake Country Pad Washer 4000 Deluxe Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

Those white stains!
A lot of older polishing products would stain rubber and unpainted plastic trim. This is one area where technology has advanced in recent years because most of the new generation products are safe on trim. If you do end up with polish residue on trim, there are two ways address this. A simple and effective way to remove residue is via a pencil eraser, simply rub it over the affected area and watch the stain vanish. The other option is to use a specific chemical and a brush to break down the stain and allow it to be wiped away with a towel. Both Nexzett and McKee’s offer such solutions.

Wax Remover for Plastic - McKees37.com
nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner - Plastic car interior cleaner (nextzettusa.com)

Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner 500mL | Product | Car Care Products Australia
Shop MCKEE'S 37 - WAX REMOVER FOR PLASTICS Online - CarCareCo

IMG-8078.jpg

Conclusions –

As I mentioned at the beginning, I’m hardly an expert on paint correction and I’m still very much learning. I’m also largely self-taught after years of reading and watching what others do. As such, I really hope the above was helpful.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
While I love detailing, I’m not into multi-step corrections.
A BIG "AMEN" on THAT, D!

..in particular the use a dual action (DA) or random orbital (RO) polisher.
As you probably remember, all my polishers are Rupes DA's but I'm curious, do you have a preference over either DA or RO?

Teamed with a Rupes Coarse Wool pad, this is my go-to for refreshing cloudy headlights.
WOW!!! Those lenses look NEW! Definitely going to try this.

..when trailing pad/polish combinations.
Please don't take offense, D, but the word "trailing" had me confused. After reading the sentence a couple times, I decided that it meant the same as "following?" <smile>

Carpro Reflect – Because this is one of the most forgiving polishes on the market

But whenever I get a chance to use it, I know I’m going to get a supremely glossy finish with minimal effort.
I don't "push the envelope" when polishing the wife's vehicle or my pickup but when it comes to Sarah, I absolutely, positively want a "supremely glossy finish with minimal effort" and I will be grabbing a (small) bottle <grin> of Reflect for her Spring polishing, thanks to you.

Sonax Perfect Finish – This is quite a versatile product, one that every car guy should have in their cabinet.
I second that emotion and it's what I use on the other two vehicles.

While it might be tempting to go in all guns blazing, but its always best to try the least aggressive pad and polish combination first.
Yep, learned that the hard way years ago but for anyone just starting out with polishing automotive paint, please take heed.

There is a price to pay for ultimate perfection, and it’s the clear coat that bears the brunt of that. You need to be mindful of chasing imperfections to the highest degree at the expense of clear coat thickness.
IMHO, this point is AS important as starting out with the least aggressive compound and pad. Again for those new to the task, do yourself a favor and pick up a "paint thickness gauge" such as you see here.

The Rupes Claw Tool is a must have in my opinion.
Best pad brush I have tried, D.

Either swap to a clean pad or use an on-the-fly pad washer to ensure you limit this from happening and compromising your results.
Another one of the best tools/products I've found is the pad washing bucket.

I really hope the above was helpful.
"Helpful" doesn't begin to descibe your post, my friend, it was EXTREMELY HELPFUL and thank you for taking the time to give us your knowledge and experience..AGAIN! <smile>

Now, may I presume you will give us your insight into PADS? <grin> I sure hope so..

High Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I would just like to add that I have compounds and polishes from meguiars, pinnacle and have sonax cut max and sonax perfect finish.

Out of all of these my favorite by far is Griots Garage Perfecting cream which is a finishing polish and Griots Garage fast correcting cream which is a compound.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I would just like to add that I have compounds and polishes from meguiars, pinnacle and have sonax cut max and sonax perfect finish.

Out of all of these my favorite by far is Griots Garage Perfecting cream which is a finishing polish and Griots Garage fast correcting cream which is a compound.
I should have included those in the original post. I haven't used them as we don't have access to the Griot's line, but from what I have seen, the BOSS line is brilliant.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A BIG "AMEN" on THAT, D!

As you probably remember, all my polishers are Rupes DA's but I'm curious, do you have a preference over either DA or RO?

WOW!!! Those lenses look NEW! Definitely going to try this.

Please don't take offense, D, but the word "trailing" had me confused. After reading the sentence a couple times, I decided that it meant the same as "following?" <smile>

I don't "push the envelope" when polishing the wife's vehicle or my pickup but when it comes to Sarah, I absolutely, positively want a "supremely glossy finish with minimal effort" and I will be grabbing a (small) bottle <grin> of Reflect for her Spring polishing, thanks to you.

I second that emotion and it's what I use on the other two vehicles.

Yep, learned that the hard way years ago but for anyone just starting out with polishing automotive paint, please take heed.

IMHO, this point is AS important as starting out with the least aggressive compound and pad. Again for those new to the task, do yourself a favor and pick up a "paint thickness gauge" such as you see here.

Best pad brush I have tried, D.

Another one of the best tools/products I've found is the pad washing bucket.

"Helpful" doesn't begin to descibe your post, my friend, it was EXTREMELY HELPFUL and thank you for taking the time to give us your knowledge and experience..AGAIN! <smile>

Now, may I presume you will give us your insight into PADS? <grin> I sure hope so..
Most definitely standard dual action for me. I'm waiting for the new battery powered Rupes HLR-15, it looks to be a huge step ahead of the competition. I guess this is why Rupes took so long to join the battery space with full size machines. This will replace my 5-inch ShineMate, I'm currently contemplating which 3-inch to go with, the ShineMate 3-inch is too bulky for my liking, probably the HLR-75.
RUPES HLR 15 5" Random Orbital Polisher | Car Polisher | Obsessed Garage

With the headlights, I only do this if I HAVE to, you want to prolong the factory UV clear for as long as possible. Once you start polishing them, you either have to have them coated with PPF or continue polishing every few months. Having said that, by the time you have visible yellowing or cloudiness, the UV clear is basically done, in which case I say go for it.

Spelling mistake amended. Sorry about that. :facepalm:

Pad's is a tricky one because they can be very subjective, what I like on my cars and paint systems might not be to your taste and vice versa. I do think that pads can become very confusing for the novice, especially when the color coding is not universal between manufacturers. They are also so freaking expensive, especially when you consider that a few of each size and type are needed. Leave the subject with me.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Very good info. I have watched more Youtube videos than I care to admit about various auto detailing subjects and polishing is one of them. I, in the past used Meguiars (105, 110/205, 210) but they do dust horribly. I just bought several small bottles of both Rupes as well as KCx polishes and the corresponding pads as they are highly rated on the Tube. Also got CARPRO Essence for my extremely thin Mazda paint. Waiting on the Lake Country pad cleaner to arrive that I ordered and I hope to polish out my Mazda paint and put coating on it soon. Much like the soap, rinse less, and other rabbit holes, polishing is just as deep LOL :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Most definitely standard dual action for me.
<smiling> I was hoping that was your preference my friend because, I'm not keen on replacing the DA's I have. <grin>

But GEEZUS, Rupes REALLY jacked up the price on the new IBrid products! $735 for the HLR-15 kit from most outfits although I see that Matt bumped his up even further to $760! (Good ol' OG, right? <grin>)

When you said you are waiting on it, does that mean you ordered one? If so, I'll wait for your review. I don't mind using a corded polisher but there's no question that the task of polishing would be much easier, less hassle and, save a good bit of time not having to finagle with the power cord.

With the headlights, I only do this if I HAVE to, you want to prolong the factory UV clear for as long as possible.
I wondered how old those lenses were and, about the factory UV coating. If memory serves, I have only had one vehicle whose headlights were discolored and that was a long time ago. Now, all the vehicles are garaged and I haven't had the issue since.

Spelling mistake amended. Sorry about that.
Were you referring to your word, "trailing?" Now I'm completely confused. <laughing>

They are also so freaking expensive, especially when you consider that a few of each size and type are needed. Leave the subject with me.
TRUE THAT!

Not to diverge from my acute obsessive nature, I'm guessing that I probably have THIRTY pads in the cabinet, all foam except for some denim pads I tried on orange peel, no wool and I really need to get some of those for the other two vehicles which will need a lot more cutting ability than the Rupes coarse but the denim pads are too coarse for the marks on those vehicles.

So, I'm hoping <hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink> that you'll enlighten us on the important aspects and methods pad usage BUT, I fully understand that encompasses an ENORMOUS category of products and options.

In all honesty D, at least in my case, what I would like to know is what YOUR preferences are for light/medium/heavy cutting and, which pad/compound combo results in THE best gloss. You have already sold me on Reflect but I would REALLY like to get Sarah's clear coat to the next level and would like to know which pad you choose with Reflect and, any little details on your own techniques regarding polisher strokes and directions. For example, the amount of pressure used.

I have been using Rupes technique that suggests compressing the pad "half way," do you agree?

Fact is, most of us either don't have the time, energy, or desire to put the myriad of detailing products to the test but to our good fortune, you thoroughly enjoy the subject, obtain a great deal of satisfaction from the results of your hard work and most importantly, you generously share your experience with us mere mortals and for that, you have my eternal thanks.

..in the past used Meguiars (105, 110/205, 210) but they do dust horribly.
Same history here, Alex, and I still have gallons of Meg's in both flavors. :-) I'll never use them again, just wish I could give them to someone who will but they'll probably wind up in the trash before long because I'm out of room in the cabinet. <laughing>

Much like the soap, rinse less, and other rabbit holes, polishing is just as deep LOL :)
I couldn't agree more, Alex but..we have our own resident expert to teach us how to navigate the rabbit hole. <BSEG>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
But GEEZUS, Rupes REALLY jacked up the price on the new IBrid products! $735 for the HLR-15 kit from most outfits although I see that Matt bumped his up even further to $760! (Good ol' OG, right? <grin>)

When you said you are waiting on it, does that mean you ordered one? If so, I'll wait for your review. I don't mind using a corded polisher but there's no question that the task of polishing would be much easier, less hassle and, save a good bit of time not having to finagle with the power cord.

So, I'm hoping <hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink> that you'll enlighten us on the important aspects and methods pad usage BUT, I fully understand that encompasses an ENORMOUS category of products and options.

In all honesty D, at least in my case, what I would like to know is what YOUR preferences are for light/medium/heavy cutting and, which pad/compound combo results in THE best gloss. You have already sold me on Reflect but I would REALLY like to get Sarah's clear coat to the next level and would like to know which pad you choose with Reflect and, any little details on your own techniques regarding polisher strokes and directions. For example, the amount of pressure used.
In terms of the new battery powered HLR-15 and HLR-21, both have not landed for sale in Australia yet. I think Rupes are struggling to meet the initial demand, so little old Australia will have to wait. As such, I haven't got one on order, none of the local retailers have them for pre-order like some of the US retailers have done. I'm fully expecting it to extremely expensive here, easily above $1000, probably $1300. Going by what I have seen, these new machines are much smoother and quieter running than their older electric machines as well as the main competition (Flex, Milwaukee, ShineMate).

I have also started writing an article on pads, sort of an overview of the main types and where best to use them, along with cleaning and storage. Because pad and compound combinations would be a never-ending list, I'm going to include a few case study examples.

And according to my spread sheet, yes I have a pad spreadsheet, I have about 110 new and used pads in stock. Eeek, I didn't know it was that many! :shock: That tally includes foam, wool and microfiber in various grades and sizes to suit 5, 3, 2 and 1-inch machines.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Because pad and compound combinations would be a never-ending list, I'm going to include a few case study examples.
Oh yeah, trying to cover all the possible combinations would be an exercise in futility, even for you! <smiling>

And, the idea to use a few case studies is the perfect answer for that problem so I CAN'T WAIT to read them.

And according to my spread sheet, yes I have a pad spreadsheet, I have about 110 new and used pads in stock. Eeek, I didn't know it was that many!
Of course you have a spreadsheet <BSEG> and I see that your brain, like mine, still uses the original term vice "worksheet." Never liked that one for some unknown reason. ;=)
Sponsored