Sponsored

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax Review

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax Review

Let me state from the very beginning, this is NOT a new product, its been around for decades. But its one of those if-you-know-you-know products.
Wax is NOT Dead!

Backstory

Collinite 845 comes from a time when the ultimate in paint protection centered around polymer sealants and carnauba waxes. However, over the last 10 to 15 years, these products have been sidelined for modern ceramic coatings and spray sealants. When you consider a ceramic coating will outlast and outshine any wax on the market many times over, you can appreciate why these products have taken over the car care market. But……………..

I have always maintained there is still very much a place for waxes in modern car care. Why? Because for some reason, a freshly waxed car has a certain look that is hard to describe but most definitely a thing. Ceramic coatings and ceramic spray sealants are often described as stark and glassy looking, almost sterile. A wax on the other hand provides a mellow, warmer appearance, something that can help highlight non-metallic colours. I have also found that for the most part, older waxes and polymer sealants have an edge in slickness.

Gyeon Q2 Wax (ceramic wax) -

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG-1963.jpg

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (polymer sealant) -

dec299.jpg

dec2916.jpg

Of course, there are drawbacks. As mentioned earlier, a wax is never going to win awards for chemical resistance or longevity, meaning you need to apply them more often. But I can flip that negative into a positive by saying that gives the user more flexibility to try different products. You also don’t need to hammer down on the paint to remove the remains of the wax before reapplication like you would with a ceramic coating. And finally, there is something so tactile about applying a wax and then buffing off a wax.

What Is It and What Does It Do?

With American origins, Collinite are one of those sleeper brands that have been making car care products since 1912. By and large, the products Collinite sell right now are the same as they were 20 years ago. In some ways, that is a foolish game to play when countless brands have come along since and innovated themselves into contention. So, out of all the countless waxes still on the market, why is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax my ultimate choice? Because it just works!

Get Collinite 845 Insulator Wax Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845 473mL | Product | Car Care Products Australia

Collinite No. 845 Heavy Duty Insulator Wax - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

IMG-7544.jpg

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax was not originally intended for use on cars. As the name suggests, this product was used as an insulator for electrical components, helping to protect against high voltage power failure, electrical fires, and explosions. It somehow transitioned over to automotive use and has been protecting cars for decades now.

The first thing you notice with 845 is the lack of flashy marketing or swish bottle and label designs. This is very much a product that lets the results do the talking. Performance wise, you can expect up to 5 months durability, but I have seen more on garage queens, less on cars parked outdoors 24/7. Collinite 845 can withstand both extreme low and high temperatures, while also providing excellent UV protection above and beyond most other waxes on the market. I have also found it to be very good at resisting bug residue.

IMG-0565.jpg

But the best thing about Collinite 845 is the majestic levels of gloss and slickness it provides. There is something so special about how this wax makes paint feel across the back of your hand.

Freshly applied 845...................

oct209.jpg

oct210.jpg

Where and How To Use

Collinite 845 can be used across all painted surfaces on your car. It can also be used on chrome surfaces. I would avoid contact with unpainted plastic and rubber trim, this is very much an old school wax in that it will stain those surfaces.

e4.jpg

Like any wax, its best to apply a thin and consistent layer. Apply it too thickly, you are simply wasting product and making the wipe off harder. Because when applied thinly, the wipe off is magical!

845 can be applied by hand using a foam applicator pad, however my preference is to apply via machine as this greatly improves your ability to apply that thin, even coat. To do this, you need an ultra soft finishing/waxing pad (see below for suggestions) and the machine set to its lowest setting. For smaller, intricate areas, you would then swap to a small hand applicator.

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG-2359.jpg

For both hand or machine application, this is the process.

1. Wash and decontaminate the car, polish if needed. Follow with an IPA-based prep spray such as Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep.

2. Apply a small amount of wax to the pad (hand or machine) and squeeze or spread to prime.

3. Working panel by panel, apply a thin coat to the whole car, reapplying product to the pad as needed. Remember, a little goes a VERY long way.

4. By the time you have applied 845 to the whole car, its typically time to start removing the residue. Again, work panel by panel and swap to a clean towel as needed.

5. 845 is best left for several hours to fully harden and cure, ideally without seeing moisture or rain.

From here, you will have super glossy and ultra slick paint with impressive hydrophobic qualities.

sep231.jpg

IMG-1163-2.jpg

Tips & Tricks

It’s safe to say the Collinite 845 has a few quirks, quirks that could alarm you if you didn’t know better. This is probably where more modern waxes have improved the most, user friendliness. Don’t let that deter you, because 845 is well worth the effort.

1. While 845 is labelled a liquid wax, in cooler temperatures its does tend to solidify. In this case, submerge or run the bottle under hot water, this re-liquifies the wax. In warmer weather, the product is usually good to go.

2. I would stick to foam applicators with 845 over microfiber. You know the sort, those round yellow pucks sold everywhere. For machine pads, the black ShineMate (show below) or black Lake Country SDO are affordable choices.

Order Car Wax & Polish Applicator Sponge Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Shine Mate Grey Diamond Finish Pad | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

5.5 in. Black SDO Polishing Pad (autogeek.net)

IMG_1293.jpg

3. Once primed, you only need a few drops of product per panel. The thinner the coat, the easier it will be to remove. If using a machine, unlike polishing, your arm speed can be quicker. The goal is to simply get the product on the paint, so micromanaging arm speed and working small areas is not needed.

IMG_1299.jpg

4. To see if it's time to start buffing the residue, the trick is to swipe a test spot with your finger or towel. If it wipes clean, then it's time to buff. If it still feels oily or smears, then wait longer. This time frame will obviously depend on ambient temp or how thickly you applied.

5. 845 has this amazing ability to actually look glossier after 24 hours. This is due to the wax fully curing and hardening.

6. Another quirk that can appear after 24 hours is a slight hazing effect. This is completely normal, so don’t panic. Again, this is caused by the curing process. This haziness is then removed at the next wash, after which you will be left with slick, ultra glossy paint.

7. If you did get 845 on unpainted plastic or rubber trim, there are a couple of ways to address this. Naturally, masking these areas is the prevention. To remove residue, the old-fashioned pencil eraser trick will work here, as will a product called Nextzett Plastikreiniger (Plastic Deep Cleaner). In either case, gently run the affected area with the eraser or PDC with a brush, the wipe clean.

Nextzett Plastic Deep Cleaner 500mL | Product | Car Care Products Australia
Nextzett Plastik Reiniger Plastic Deep Cleaner - 500 ml - Detailed Image

8. I have found 845 to be very receptive to follow up toppers, be that wax or ceramic based. I often have 845 as the base layer and topped with NV Jet. A polymer sealant such as Bead Maker is another perfect partner to 845.

IMG_1890.jpg

9. 845 is a nightmare to remove from your applicator. If you are using a foam applicator puck, I would just throw it away. If you have used a foam machine pad, then soaking it in APC overnight and then squeezing under hot running water will get you most of the way clean. Allow to dry and then store in a zip lock bag. Or………………..just throw the pad away.

10. A bottle of 845 will go a very looong way! In fact, I’m only on my second bottle after first trying many, many years ago now.

Conclusions

There's no doubt that there are more durable methods of protecting your paint, likewise easier to apply waxes. But there is just something about Collinte 845 that has me coming back to it again and again. In fact, I was all set to ceramic coat my new car (if Ford ever build it), but on reflection, I'm seriously considering just sticking with 845. That combo of Race Red and 845 makes me smile!

e2.jpg
Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I think Collinite 845 is gorgeous, and I used it for years. Still have some sitting around. I would always run it under warm water before applying.

Like you're saying, the problem is that once I discovered spray ceramics, it really lowered my enthusiasm for liquid/paste waxes in general. Even though the look of the end result of 845 is clearly better. Agree that 845 plus a raw ceramic coating is one of the best looking combos.

just throw the pad away.
yes

If you do not start soaking your applicator immediately afterwards it is garbage lol.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
And finally, there is something so tactile about applying a wax and then buffing off a wax.
I SO remember those days, D, and how wonderful it was buffing!

Back then, I used a product from Westley's. Found this image of the the can from back in the day. It's no longer available but holy crap, folks are getting crazy money for old, used cans on FleaBay! LOVED that stuff and I could do an entire car in about 45 minutes.

Granted, it didn't last long but the feelings you described were exactly the same with their original product. No idea what any of their current products are like.

1708951202288.png

In fact, I was all set to ceramic coat my new car (if Ford ever build it), but on reflection, I'm seriously considering just sticking with 845. That combo of Race Red and 845 makes me smile!
Couldn't agree more, D, the shine on your RR is award winning and makes me smile, too! :=)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I SO remember those days, D, and how wonderful it was buffing!

Back then, I used a product from Westley's. Found this image of the the can from back in the day. It's no longer available but holy crap, folks are getting crazy money for old, used cans on FleaBay! LOVED that stuff and I could do an entire car in about 45 minutes.

Granted, it didn't last long but the feelings you described were exactly the same with their original product. No idea what any of their current products are like.

1708951202288.png

Couldn't agree more, D, the shine on your RR is award winning and makes me smile, too! :=)
That reminds me of the metal can you use to find at Walmart that all the old heads swore by. I forget the name but it was a liquid sealer that came in a gold can. Apparently it had the best shine available in the 80s and 90s.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
My process is collinite marine wax topped with a coat of 845 for sheen. I love the collinite products.
Sponsored