Sponsored

Cold air intakes=useless?

kevg73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Not really.. Tunes from reputable companies you can feel the performance. Same with a bigger Turbo. Ive bought plenty of CAI on alot of my cars and never noticed anything other then a better look and sound. A good Tune you can actually feel. If CAI were $100 bucks id buy one. But for $399 or so id rather put that money towards a good Tuner, bigger turbo,exhaust, intercooler and down pipe! But hey to each there own!
At $399 it definitely would not be worth it. These intakes are around $200 not $400. So for better look/sound and maybe a couple percent of performance? Worth it for me.
Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Not really.. Tunes from reputable companies you can feel the performance. Same with a bigger Turbo. Ive bought plenty of CAI on alot of my cars and never noticed anything other then a better look and sound. A good Tune you can actually feel. If CAI were $100 bucks id buy one. But for $399 or so id rather put that money towards a good Tuner, bigger turbo,exhaust, intercooler and down pipe! But hey to each there own!
I argue that you can get CAI's from reputable companies as well but I digress.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
At $399 it definitely would not be worth it. These intakes are around $200 not $400. So for better look/sound and maybe a couple percent of performance? Worth it for me.
Well i like the enclosed intakes and most of them are close to $400. AirRaid for example is $352

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Listen im not going to get into a debate. And im not even saying that i would never buy another one. All im saying really is the stock air systems on todays PERFORMANCE cars are plenty flow for most mods.. And id rather spend my money on the bigger more horsepower for you buck mods first like a tune with MY money.

Sponsored

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
You do realize that the intakes have bends/baffles in them to quiet down, right? The EPA does monitor/regulate fuel economy but they also monitor the decibel level from cars which are primarily from intake/exhaust.....

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I upgraded my intake because I plan to go big turbo whenever they're released. The stock intake simply wouldn't work for that, so I went ahead and got a replacement.

Now, Ford appears to have done well with the factory system. There doesn't appear to be any major hindrances in the airflow path, etc. If I was keeping the factory system, I think I'd find a way to remove the resonator (shift knob), but otherwise, if you was doing some mild bolt-ons, I'd guess the stock system with an upgraded panel filter, like a K&N or Green, would suffice if you wanted to spend the money elsewhere.

Here's something that might be of interest to you, TheZman, or anyone else wanting to keep the stock, sealed box. http://store.ultimate-racing.com/collections/ford-performance/products/mustang-ecoboost-inlet-pipe Ultimate Racing is making a turbo intake pipe to replace the TIP for $185. That'd remove any restrictions in the TIP.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do realize that the intakes have bends/baffles in them to quiet down, right? The EPA does monitor/regulate fuel economy but they also monitor the decibel level from cars which are primarily from intake/exhaust.....
Yes i do.. plus the accordian rubber connector dont help either but unless you pulling over 450whp theres still plenty of flow. Once you get up over that then a CAI would be in order. But like i said id rather buy other mods first regardless..

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop

Sponsored