Cobb stage 1 advice

ImBravo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost premium
Installed cobb stage 1 93 and 91. On 93 it would misfire on my first wot but wouldnt after that.. the 91 tune has been perfectly fine until today when i went to go from 0-60 to get on the interstate (not even a wot) and it started stuttering and misfiring.. im tempted just to put it back to stock until i can get a pro tune but i like the power. Could it be the plugs? Im using oem and everyone says go ngk step colder but could that really be the cause if my car was perfectly fine before the tune? Im at a loss, its the only problem with the tune.. otherwise, my numbers are all good from what i can see.
Any advice is welcome! Thank you
Sponsored

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
Where are you getting 93 gas from?

OP
OP

ImBravo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
Where are you getting 93 gas from?
Started from my work (ingles markets).. but i looked up and everyone said shell is top notch so i switched over. Only problem is, i still have half a tank of ingles gas bc i never ran out before filling all the way back up. I back down to half a tank now, do you think that could be it? Its just getting the crappy ingles fuel still?

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
Started from my work (ingles markets).. but i looked up and everyone said shell is top notch so i switched over. Only problem is, i still have half a tank of ingles gas bc i never ran out before filling all the way back up. I back down to half a tank now, do you think that could be it? Its just getting the crappy ingles fuel still?
Its possible. Ive ran cobbs tunes before, stage 1 and stage 2+. they arent aggressive by any means. If your on 91 tune and have 93, its possible its a gas issue. It could also be plugs possibly, stage 1 doesnt warrant step colder necessarily, but maybe its just time for them. Ford says 100k miles for them, which is outrageous. I would say closer to 30-50k depending on how you drive for performance reasons. How much milage do you have?

Try to switch to stage 0 or stock tune, see how the car responds. If it still misses, then you know it has either really bad fuel or some issue. If it drives fine, then i would lean towards bad gas, just drive it to almost empty and put in new gas

Shell 100% is a great option, they use alot of detergents compared to others which keeps your fuel system clean

OP
OP

ImBravo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
Its possible. Ive ran cobbs tunes before, stage 1 and stage 2+. they arent aggressive by any means. If your on 91 tune and have 93, its possible its a gas issue. It could also be plugs possibly, stage 1 doesnt warrant step colder necessarily, but maybe its just time for them. Ford says 100k miles for them, which is outrageous. I would say closer to 30-50k depending on how you drive for performance reasons. How much milage do you have?

Try to switch to stage 0 or stock tune, see how the car responds. If it still misses, then you know it has either really bad fuel or some issue. If it drives fine, then i would lean towards bad gas, just drive it to almost empty and put in new gas

Shell 100% is a great option, they use alot of detergents compared to others which keeps your fuel system clean
If you dont need step colder plugs then ima assume my plugs are good because i had them replaced about 3-4 months back with OEM motorcraft plugs.

im going on a long drive tomorrow, ill drop it back to stage 0 and test it on the way and let that fuel run out. When i fill back up with shell 93, should put it on 93 or 91 map?

Sponsored

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
If you dont need step colder plugs then ima assume my plugs are good because i had them replaced about 3-4 months back with OEM motorcraft plugs.

im going on a long drive tomorrow, ill drop it back to stage 0 and test it on the way and let that fuel run out. When i fill back up with shell 93, should put it on 93 or 91 map?
I didnt get step colder plugs til stage 2+
then i got a dynotune
the step colder ngk plugs only last 10-15k miles as well at good performance, then they should be replaced
I would try 91, see how the car likes it. Then 93 if all is good. If you tune a car for 93, it has to have at least 93, boost needs to have the octane or else you can end up with a detonation which is a knock which is basically a bad misfire, that will potentially bend or break a rod

OP
OP

ImBravo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
I didnt get step colder plugs til stage 2+
then i got a dynotune
the step colder ngk plugs only last 10-15k miles as well at good performance, then they should be replaced
I would try 91, see how the car likes it. Then 93 if all is good. If you tune a car for 93, it has to have at least 93, boost needs to have the octane or else you can end up with a detonation which is a knock which is basically a bad misfire, that will potentially bend or break a rod
Well i hope it doesn’t do that because it definitely felt like it misfired really bad twice. Looks like ima have to install that intercooler and get a pro tune.

Wolfys11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Gt
Well i hope it doesn’t do that because it definitely felt like it misfired really bad twice. Looks like ima have to install that intercooler and get a pro tune.
Intercooler would definitely be good, tune or not. Do you have any other mods? Exhaust, intake, charge pipes?

OP
OP

ImBravo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
Intercooler would definitely be good, tune or not. Do you have any other mods? Exhaust, intake, charge pipes?
Mbrp catback
Cobb CAI
Cobb bov

other than that, its pretty stock!
Sponsored