Sponsored

Clutch Pedal Mush

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Yesterday evening my clutch pedal got very mushy/soft and engagement is in the last 1/2 inch of travel. Lots of chatter to get it moving. No visible leaks anywhere, system has never been touched other than Steeda lines, which have been on the car and working fin for 6 months. Have a Track day on Friday, not sure what to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Also reservoir is full and has not lost any fluid but again everything externally is bone dry. Basically it feels like its not building full pressure.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
now in the garage it goes into gear ok but pedal is still mushy and engagement is still right at the bottom

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Bad slave or master cylinder more than likely

Sponsored

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Taking it to ford first thing in the morning, if its just the master, there is a long shot it might get fixed in time for track-day on Friday, if not or its the hydraulic throw out bearing, forget about it...$550bucks down the drain in non-refundable track fee and HPDE instance....Fix or repair daily?

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what you mean by mushy, but it could also be the clutch depending on how it feels. If the pedal has a lot of soft movement without any resistance or no resistance until the pedal is close to the floor I would lean to the hydraulics. I guess you'll find out and it's not uncommon for a dealer tech to be completely wrong by trying a part that doesn't correct the problem before diagnosing it correctly. The fact that you referred to chatter points me to the clutch itself because hydraulic problems will create soft low engaging clutch. Your description points in both directions.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
what is clear at this point is the clutch isn’t disengaging completely when the pedal is pressed. The engagement point where it really grabs hard is just a half inch off the floor. There is resistance when putting the car in gear or shifting on the move, and it often clunks in...again clutch seems to not be completely disengaging. Most of the pedal travel now feels mushy/spongy, except of the last inch or so. This condition came up suddenly.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Sounds like a possible hydraulic issue to me. If you aren't turning your own wrench my fits to guess is the slave cylinder.. master.
Bell looks dry?

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had cylinders that will draw in air while relaxed, but not leak at all. It's possible the problem is hydraulic, but I wouldn't rule out mechanical either

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Does the pedal come all the way back up when you release it? If not, pull it back up with your foot. If that gives you full pedal, then the master is bad. You can still use it, but get it replaced sooner than later.

OP
OP
SJulian10mm

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Bell is bone dry, everything is bone dry, pedal does come up on its own but not with it’s normal authority