Clutch helper spring.

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I wonder if the dealer would remove it as part of the car prep.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm not sure why Ford continues to put this spring in the Mustang. It's not like the pedal effort is that hard without it. Removing it is the number one mod.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Pardon the ignorant question, just want to make sure...

Is there anything wrong with removing the spring immediately when the car only has factory miles on it? I plan to remove it when I pick the car up (12/27-12/29!) before I drive it for the first time. I drove the 2015GT when I ordered the Shelby and absolutely hated the clutch, almost made me rethink my order and just be happy that I have a Boss 302.
You want to do it on the lot? I would likely just wait a few miles until I was off the lot, just in case for warranty purposes.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I'm not sure why Ford continues to put this spring in the Mustang. It's not like the pedal effort is that hard without it. Removing it is the number one mod.
Seriously. I'd love to see the market research that says they wouldn't have sold as many manuals without it.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Seriously. I'd love to see the market research that says they wouldn't have sold as many manuals without it.
Its likely to keep gearboxes and rear axles from being scattered when someone sidesteps the clutch. many cars use a restrictor or other setup in the hydraulic clutch line for the same reason.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Huh, I really like the feel of the clutch - especially in the GT350. Feels like high quality to me. The engagement is awesome. Neither grabby nor excessively slipping.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Removed it on my GT350. I haven't done it on my LS as the LS has better feel.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Randy M, did it make a big improvement? Do you now have slop in the clutch pedal after removing it?

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Randy M, did it make a big improvement? Do you now have slop in the clutch pedal after removing it?
I haven't driven it yet but will let you know. I can tell by pushing the clutch in the feel will be better and more linear. That helper spring just muddies up the direct connection. I can always put it back in if I don't like it but I have to think the clutch will actually last longer without it.

Reactions: TDC

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What problems could occur to the clutch over the long term without the spring?

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What problems could occur to the clutch over the long term without the spring?

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP
None. The spring just makes the pedal easier to depress.

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
So...does anyone have a picture of the complete spring assembly out? I pulled mine out and it popped out into multiple pieces. Mine has more pieces the than the one in the video or pics in the post. There are actually two springs, a small and larger one. This is just in case I want to pop the thing back in. :headbonk:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08GT, 13GT, 16GT350
So...does anyone have a picture of the complete spring assembly out? I pulled mine out and it popped out into multiple pieces. Mine has more pieces the than the one in the video or pics in the post. There are actually two springs, a small and larger one. This is just in case I want to pop the thing back in. :headbonk:
After reading this tread I immediately ran out to my 13 and removed it post-haste... I wish I'd known about this sooner.... I will do it to the 350 next...

Here you go dude....
IMG_1916.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg

Reactions: TDC

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I haven't removed it in my B302 as it feels fine. In the GT350 the spring makes the clutch feel way too light.
Sponsored