Cleaning stripes and exhaust tips.

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Is there any way to revitalize the stripes that have an abrasion on them? They look like someone was rubbing them too hard in one spot.

I’ve been trying to clean severely neglected exhaust tips with Meguirars products but not getting anywhere. Is there any specific product that can be used?
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Is there any way to revitalize the stripes that have an abrasion on them? They look like someone was rubbing them too hard in one spot.

I’ve been trying to clean severely neglected exhaust tips with Meguirars products but not getting anywhere. Is there any specific product that can be used?
I stumbled upon this somewhere, but Stoner's Tarminator is excellent for removing baked on carbon from exhaust tips. Clean with a wheel cleaner of choice, dry, then using a b-grade towel, spray Tarminator into the towel and work the affected areas. You may need to repeat the process a couple of times. Once finished, I recommend rinsing the tips to remove any lingering Tarminator residue. From here, you can polish with any metal polish to bring them back to a glossy finish.

Stoner Tarminator - 10oz (Aerosol) | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG-2849.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

If the tips aren't too bad, have a look at P21S Polishing Soap. This product is a combined soap and abrasive that polishes as it cleans. This can help bring back exhaust tips, or maintain them after a deep clean outlined above. You use this while washing the car and the tips wet.

Amazon.com: P21S 15300P Polishing Soap : Automotive

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG-2603.jpg

IMG-2820.jpg

After they are clean, I apply Dr. Beasly's Metal Coat, which is designed for higher heat applications.

Dr. Beasley's Metal Coat | Ceramic Metal Coating | Obsessed Garage

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
My exhaust tips still shine like the day installed at the factory. Never polished. Keep clean by using 409 between washings. Spray on, let sit for a few minutes and wipe off with microfiber cloth.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
DFB5.0, now that’s a proper response, respect!

Only thing I’d add is one of those wheel polishing balls you can also hook up to a drill to get a more serious polish in after a deep clean. Think the one I use is called the Mother’s PowerBall. My only concern would be using heavy stuff like this so close to the plastic rear diffuser, so if these things are seriously neglected and you really need to do some heavy work, I’d consider putting painters tape around the tips where the tips meet the diffuser so I could go to town and not worry about working any product into that and potentially impacting that finish. Little more prep up front but should make it easier all-in.

No clue on the vinyl so not opining there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Thank you. Very thorough.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Another product to try is Mothers Aluminum Polish. I use it on my stock winter wheels as well as the exhaust tips. Works well also. D has lots of good tips and product recommendations. His detailing stickies are top notch

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Another product to try is Mothers Aluminum Polish. I use it on my stock winter wheels as well as the exhaust tips. Works well also. D has lots of good tips and product recommendations. His detailing stickies are top notch
Yeah, the Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish is the real deal, the Carpro Metal Polish I pictured above is garbage. I even use it on.................... non-automative exhausts..................... :giggle:

IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Good tip. Went with mothers and the tips look awesome now on this new to me 2017.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Good tip. Went with mothers and the tips look awesome now on this new to me 2017.
Well done! I need pics for evidence though! :like:

You can now apply some wax, sealant or coating to make future cleaning easier and negate the need for a heavy metal polish.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Looking great but pic won’t upload

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Only thing I’d add is one of those wheel polishing balls you can also hook up to a drill to get a more serious polish in after a deep clean. Think the one I use is called the Mother’s PowerBall.
Yeah...there's something just a bit off when the neighbors walk by and see you sticking a spinning foam ball up your cars tailpipe and 'working it'...the results are quite spectacular but I've learned it's best for all if I keep the garage door closed for this facsimile of a colonoscopy for my car lol.

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
For the exhaust tips, 0000 steel wool with Gliptone Liquid Metal Polish is the single easiest and quickest way I've ever used; makes it dead simple. Buff them off with an old microfiber/cloth after applying the polish and you're good to go. Picked this up from Auto Fanatic on one of his GT350 videos and has been my go-to ever since.

1711590116111-cw.png

OP
OP
MHW100

MHW100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush Stage 3
Thank you all. Tips are looking great. Still struggling with bringing the stripes back.

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
I use a lttle car polish and brass wool keeps them looking new
Sponsored