Sponsored

Challenger to Mustang

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
It's nice to see some folks who get what the Challenger is trying to be.

Yeah, They're both V8 coupes with heritage name plates. It's hard not to compare them but the driving experience is very, vey different as is the appeal of each car. I honestly dont think that they're direct competitors like Mustang/Camaro....which is probably why guys on this forum dont froth at the mouth with the mention of the Dodge.

I sincerely love them both. The Mustang is the better all around athlete and has a very stylish modern look. The Challenger is brimming with classic good looks and old school muscle car appeal.

A few thoughts/opinions in trying to compare the two:

The 6.4L will be a tiny bit quicker than a 5.0L Mustang in a straight line but the Mustang will be significantly better in every other measure.

Challenger Scat Pack is more expensive but may hold its value a bit better.

The Coyote sonds great but stock exhaust is too quiet and the firing order makes it sound funky in some situations. Scat Pack stock exhaust is glorious.

26mpg is attainable with the GT. If you get 20mpg put of a 392, you're lucky.

Musang GT gets the MT82, V8 Challengers get the T6060. Both are fine but very few people prefer the Getrag over the Tremec.

Challenger is a bit less common where seeing a Mustang is pretty mundane despite the wild sheet metal because theyre so popular. That matters to some folks.

For me personally, I love wringing a car out through the corners...the S550 is so much better than the Challenger in that measure that it's basically not a debate....but if the right deal came along on a 392 Dodge, I'd give it a thought.
This is a pretty good analysis. The way I'd describe it from owning both-

Not tracking or keeping it stock - Scatpack/SRT

Tracking or modding - Mustang

For its size, the 392 gets it moving. It's also a very livable car as you can have 5 grown men comfortably in the car and there is plenty of trunk room.
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Sure. The Mustang is the king of this tactic. :cheers:
Yup! Since they are doing refreshes every 3 years now, it has become less than it use to be. I used to manage a team that sold parts to car companies and he is the joke we use to tell.

Year 1, test driver
Year 2, fix launch issues and take cost out.
Year 3, take more cost out.
Year 4, fix year two cost reductions and start special editions, and take more cost out.
Year 5, parts bin special editions, fix year 2 and 3 cost reductions, take more costs out.
Year 6, more parts bin special editions, consolidation of parts and fix year 2,3, and 4 cost reductions.

All my current cars are 2nd year production.........

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I like Challengers. They look old school without being too completely retro (the last few refreshes were badly needed) and the 6.4L HEMI is a big engine with a lot of horsepower. It's also big, roomy and has a backseat that's actually usable. It does the one thing right that its designed to do: be a large, powerful car with a large, powerful engine. If I couldn't drive a Mustang I would be in a Challenger. My preference is the S550 though, due to its versatility, looks, performance and aftermarket.

Last edited:

Ylwjkt23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I own both.
In reality they're two completely different cars, kind to of like comparing an older Mustang to a Torino.

The Scat Pack can be had for under $40k, which is GT PP territory.
The interiors each have pros and cons;
You can fit 5 full sized people in the Challenger, it's really tight for even kids in the Mustang.
The seats in the Mustang are more supportive.
The steering wheel controls on the Challenger are better.
The Mustang doesn't have a digital speedo. Really people, this is 2017!
The Challenger doesn't have a wide band afr.
The Scat Pack does have Launch Control.
My biggest interior gripe with the Challenger is no auto up windows.

Exterior wise they're both great looking cars imo.
The Mustang is definitely more athletic, whereas the Challenger is more musclecar, more in the vein of the older Chargers instead of a true ponycar.

Powerwise the 6.4 motor has torque everywhere, while the Coyote loves to be revved.
On the auto trans side of things the A8 blows away the A6 in the Mustang.
On the manual side the 6060 seems to shift slightly better than the MT82, but the Mustangs clutch feel is better, especially when you remove the helper spring.

If you're planning on more in depth mods than CAI/exhaust/tune then the Mustang wins hands down.
It's much easier and less expensive to mod, and it's easier to tune.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to have both.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I'd have to go look at my build date but my 15 GT/PP was a very early build as I bought the car Nov of 14. My car is flawless, from paint to body gaps ext. no issues.

Sponsored

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Musang GT gets the MT82, V8 Challengers get the T6060. Both are fine but very few people prefer the Getrag over the Tremec.

Challenger is a bit less common where seeing a Mustang is pretty mundane despite the wild sheet metal because theyre so popular. That matters to some folks.
I don't really prefer one over the other... Now that I know how to shift the Getrag I like it as much as the Tremec honestly....

but I have to say this..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::frusty::frusty::frusty:

For the love of god don't ever say the challenger is less common then the current mustang again.

241, 217 units does not trump the 391, 333 challengers sold. I even added in an extra 20k units sold for the s550 mustang just to prove a point. The car hasn't changed much exterior wise since it's creation. Challengers are far more common than what people give it.

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
241, 217 units does not trump the 391, 333 challengers sold. I even added in an extra 20k units sold for the s550 mustang just to prove a point. The car hasn't changed much exterior wise since it's creation. Challengers are far more common than what people give it.
I can't tell. I live in LA and I see both all the time. Maybe a few more Challengers here and there, but it's a near thing.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I am fortunate enough to own a Mustang ('14 GT A6) and a Challenger ('16 Scat Pack A8) and love them both for different reasons.

Stock vs stock, the Scat Pack's 392 & A8 is quicker than a Coyote. The Scat Pack actually handles & stops just as well as my Mustang (non track pack). Both of my cars stickered for about $43K and cost $38K after dealer discounts & factory rebates.

Mustang is much easier to mod, cheaper to mod, has a way better rear camera, and easier to see out of. Scat Pack sounds better, is roomier (inside & trunk), and has tons of torque at all speeds. The Scat Pack's sport mode is like having a custom tune, while the Mustang actually needs a custom tune to feel muscular. Gas mileage is a push. They both look awesome. Infotainment is about the same in each, although I personally prefer Ford's offering.

My Mustang is the better drag car, while the Scat Pack is the more comfortable cruiser. Ultimately, both are great cars.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There was no one that could do any tune work when i had my 2013 RAM R/T. Had the truck for about 3 years and never one prob. They should have had a 6.4 option for the RAM R/T.

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
thanks for the view. I lived in Bartlett, Tn. until I was 17 years old.
I've lived in Bartlett since 1988....Still do actually. I'm Creative Director at Hypertech....also in Bartlett. I love it here! Good to see some other Memphis/Bartlett people on here!

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Going from a Challenger to a Mustang is like doing a massive weight loss program.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
And losing some muscle in the process.
lol. If you're in a race, it's not about how strong you are. It's about how fast you are. So muscle is all well and good but if you weight as much as a truck then muscle means diddly squat.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I'm a die hard Mopar guy and I'm buying a Mustang. If the 3.6L in the Challenger was available with a manual I'd be driving one already.
Sponsored