Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
What do you guys think about all these detailers offering ceramic coatings and such? Good or just a gimmick? I have a hard time believing any coating lasting a life time, but I could be wrong. I have a black car, so if they are legit I'm interested.
Sponsored

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
What do you guys think about all these detailers offering ceramic coatings and such? Good or just a gimmick? I have a hard time believing any coating lasting a life time, but I could be wrong. I have a black car, so if they are legit I'm interested.
They are good products for sure. Me personally, will always use a paint coating over a traditional wax/sealant. If they are saying a life time, they are most likely full of shit. I've heard of some higher end coatings lasting upwards of 5 years, but most will last about 2.

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Hi Nick, was great to see you yesterday at the cruise. I forgot you had your Whipple installed. Was this your first major cruise with it? They're incredible aren't they. On my car I had a two step paint correction and then the Modesta coating put on and I highly recommend it. I had it done by Eric at Envious detailing in Santa Ana and he did an awesome job. If interested pm me and I can give you his contact info. My car is just 4 months old and it still looks better than day 1 and still zero swirl marks.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
i did a lot of thinking about this and im kind of stuck here too. the prices around here arent the best for any of these coatings (though others are reporting much less elsewhere).

My thoughts are when its half way to 3/4 of the way done will it still be as nice as the first few months? I know when i wash and wax my car ill get it back to the same shine each time but that it will take a decent part of my time. I think a lot of the aesthetic effect also comes from the paint correction done as prep.

I do however want to see if i can get my wheels, calipers, and metals done as those get so dirty so quick and once theyre dirty its hard to reverse. I can also see this being useful in the winter where you cant just go out and wash or wax your car.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Solely my opinion but more gimmick than useful. It may give you some LIGHT swirl protection, but otherwise doesn't do much more than a good sealant/wax. Remember, the coating is only a few MICRONS thick. It will still scratch, and dont listen to the "oh look at it bead water omg!" simpletons. A good wax job does the same thing. That's the reaction of people with no knowledge of detailing.

It is more for people who want to "set it and forget it" and not maintain their car other than basic washes. I will keep it like a wax job for a year or 2 instead of having to redo it like wax. But I have no problem personally using IPA to strip the sealant/wax and redoing it every 2 months. It takes a whopping hour or 2 to do; not the end of the world.

If you don't use proper wash and maintenance technique then you will still have micro scratches and swirls coating or not. Your money is probably much better spent in good detailing products (grit guards, good soap, sealant, wax, interior protectant, quick detailer, spray wax, brushes, pads/applicators, good microfibers and even go crazy to a cheap DA set) than a coating. It's going to cost more than you think- a good $200 for a basic setup without a DA set. But with good technique and products your paint will be equally as fine as coated.

My black GT is 13 months old and doesn't have a spot or scuff on it. All about proper care. I feel my $400 was much better spent on a DA set and good products, with some youtube time spent watching technique, than some gimmicky coating that promises the world. I knew nothing about polishing/real detailing until watching hours of youtube on it and learning all of the different techniques. It's really super simply anyone can do it stuff if you're willing to put it a little time learning (and it's kind of fun being able to fix issues with your own car rather than pay someone a lot of money)

bruinfan17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic GT
I had a couple coats of Ceramic Pro 9h and Ceramic Pro light done after paint correction from Polished Detail. Had it done last summer and its still holding up. I think it states 5 year durability with regular maitenence. I'm supposed to take it back yearly to check on how it's holding up.
Sponsored