Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dealing with the tick for a while.

2018 pp1 10r80 5.0

22k miles / 31k kms

summer driven only and 1-2 quarter mile days a year.

took decibel reading of warm engine before and after cera tec

added 150ml. Cera tec instructions call for 600ml based on 10 liters of oil.

currently running PUP 5w 30

78.7 before

78.1 after.

will check again after more driving to see if it gets quieter

IMG_5989.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpeg
Sponsored

jdlatil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gt Mustang
How long have you had the tick?
mine started at about 2,200 miles.

What app are you using to measure db level?

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How long have you had the tick?
mine started at about 2,200 miles.

What app are you using to measure db level?
I've had the tick since I can remember, I purchased the car in April 2019.

Apple app store free app Decibel X.

I still need to record the cold start results. I took a decibel reading on the cold start pre cera tec as well. I will post the results when I have time to do it after work in the next few days.

Corporate_Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 23 T Bucket 13 F150 07 Roadking
I would be very curious what the measurement error on that app is as you're showing 0.77% difference between your measurements. You're likely observing measurement noise. Looking at a cheapish dedicated DB meter on Amazon those are +/- 2DB over a span of 30 -> 130DB which 1.6% measurement error. I would assume a cell phone app have a higher error threshold as well but that's just a guess.

All this is to say, there is no real measurable difference between cera tec before and after. At least given the data that you've shown here. I personally don't care if it works or not and I'm just speaking entirely based on how you're drawing your experimental conclusions because its what I do for a living.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I would really like to know how ceratec is fixing this bbq tick people keep mentioning.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would be very curious what the measurement error on that app is as you're showing 0.77% difference between your measurements. You're likely observing measurement noise. Looking at a cheapish dedicated DB meter on Amazon those are +/- 2DB over a span of 30 -> 130DB which 1.6% measurement error. I would assume a cell phone app have a higher error threshold as well but that's just a guess.

All this is to say, there is no real measurable difference between cera tec before and after. At least given the data that you've shown here. I personally don't care if it works or not and I'm just speaking entirely based on how you're drawing your experimental conclusions because its what I do for a living.
Did you listen to the videos? It is extremely obvious the tick is nearly gone.

Corporate_Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 23 T Bucket 13 F150 07 Roadking
Did you listen to the videos? It is extremely obvious the tick is nearly gone.

Yes, I did. Totally agree on the tick being less apparent.

Like I mentioned above I have no skin in weather it works or doesn't. Ford won't tell us what it is, why it happens to some cars and not others or why cera tec does seemingly work to fix it (I even have a bottle on my shelf waiting for it to show up on my 22).

I was just trying to point out the likely measurement error in using the DB meter on your phone app and generating misleading data as a result that cera tec did or didn't cuase that's all. No ill will or anything intended.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
A spectrum analyzer at a very high sample rate with a nice calibrated FFT waterfall display would be the better tool for measuring this.

Paddles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
This is a great idea man, good thinking. I'm not surprised some of the more analytical guys want to take it a step farther and put a real scanner on it. Would also be cool if a sensitive enough device could show us the loudest spot so someone can finally figure out what's ticking. I've always guessed it has something to do with slight top end oil starvation but I've never actually encountered a ticking 5.0 yet.
Sponsored