Cat Delete

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Is there any benefits. I have seen dyno results from a dodge challenger that shows no. There is no benefits from a cat delete. maybe 1 - 2 rwhp. Is that the same for the 2015-17 mustang GT?
Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely no benefit to your neighbors. I just drove my Kooks catless setup yesterday for the first time and it redefines ridiculous. Never dynoed my car because I measure performance with Trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. You will certainly see an improvement at the track.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Cat delete vs. stock is about 10-15rwhp.

Cat delete vs. existing high flow cats (as for example with a long tube header system) is worth maybe 2-3hp.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Your not adding hp as much as your removing a restriction on the engine allowing it to work closer to it's full potential. (Your regaining hp you lost from having the cat)

MAK claims
10-20 for n/a
30-40 for FI

I'd assume those are numbers are from an engine that was already tuned before and after cat delete.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Gained .1 et and 2mph in the 1/4. With an xpipe it was wake the dead loud and very high pitched.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Most people remove their cats because they’re boosted. Lot of cat replacements with boosted cars along with some engine failures.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think looking at only the peak-to-peak gains is not the whole story. I believe there is boatloads more hp/torque gained in the lower parts of the rpm range, where you will be more often then not when driving on the streets.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think looking at only the peak-to-peak gains is not the whole story. I believe there is boatloads more hp/torque gained in the lower parts of the rpm range, where you will be more often then not when driving on the streets.
All the examples I've seen from MAK show a pretty constant gain throughout the RPM range...so that 10-15 should be everywhere. You're not going to see 30-40 in the lower RPM range from just removing the cats.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A good portion of the power there gained (especially down low at 3000rpm) is probably from the tune. I assume the baseline was on the stock shorties + stock tune and the blue line is LT headers + aftermarket tune.

But yes, LTs will show most of the gains down low and/or midrange. Shorties tend to catchup at high RPMs where exhaust scavenging is not as critical.

Sorry, I was aiming more towards stock exhaust -> catless Longtubes.

Take this article with a grain of salt but it was also with Green cats: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...aders-2018-mustang-exhaust-system-adds-55-hp/

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A good portion of the power there gained (especially down low at 3000rpm) is probably from the tune. I assume the baseline was on the stock shorties + stock tune and the blue line is LT headers + aftermarket tune.

But yes, LTs will show most of the gains down low and/or midrange. Shorties tend to catchup at high RPMs where exhaust scavenging is not as critical.
Actually, the article states this was before any aftermarket tuning on these numbers. Just going from stock exhaust to Kooks Longtubes, green cats, and full exhaust.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Actually, the article states this was before any aftermarket tuning on these numbers. Just going from stock exhaust to Kooks Longtubes, green cats, and full exhaust.
I stand corrected, but even then that's even harder to believe. What they're implying is that tune + LTs will gain 50-60rwhp and like 70-80rwtq down low? That seems a bit high compared to pretty much any other LT header install.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I stand corrected, but even then that's even harder to believe. What they're implying is that tune + LTs will gain 50-60rwhp and like 70-80rwtq down low? That seems a bit high compared to pretty much any other LT header install.
I agree that's why I said take it with a grain of salt but I still think it's believable there is more gains down low than at peak, on a stock to LT setup, anyway. You are probably right about the stock to cat delete numbers though.