Sponsored

Cars.com 2018 Mustang GT Drag Test

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
119 mph is what i get on the quarter mile on my drag app. just can't get traction on the streets lol so best for me is 12.3 @ 119mph bone stock.
Understandable.

It's a gentlemen's argument, as we all know "Slip/Time Racing" is that day, that moment. And People's times are just more data collection and more of talking points. Unless they are side-by-side on the same track or street. (Because different day = different results in times). Personal best times are great, I know someone who once did 1/4 mile @ 3.22s in a vacuum environment. Some fighter pilots may do it in less than 2 seconds.

And, we all know a car's potential is only as good as the driver's. (mechanics aside)

Take two identical sports car anythings and line them up side by side and randomly toss people inside each car, for a side by side 0~60 time, while continuing on to a 1/4 mile time test. And then look at their^ times.. :gossip:

On the street, there is gravel, debris, road joint, potholes, etc to deal with, were sometimes full throttle isn't the whole story or the answer to a "win". And in the real world, a stock auto Mustang GT is a formidable street contender against the world's best.

Seriously, how many cars will consistently put up 0 ~ 60MPH times @ 4 seconds. Most cost over $100k.
Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Dang, how come it took so long for somebody to get a 4.0? I believe the best before this in a stock car was 4.4 or so. I may have to reconsider getting a scat and stick with the mustang.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Understandable.

It's a gentlemen's argument, as we all know "Slip/Time Racing" is that day, that moment. And People's times are just more data collection and more of talking points. Unless they are side-by-side on the same track or street. (Because different day = different results in times). Personal best times are great, I know someone who once did 1/4 mile @ 3.22s in a vacuum environment. Some fighter pilots may do it in less than 2 seconds.

And, we all know a car's potential is only as good as the driver's. (mechanics aside)

Take two identical sports car anythings and line them up side by side and randomly toss people inside each car, for a side by side 0~60 time, while continuing on to a 1/4 mile time test. And then look at their^ times.. :gossip:

On the street, there is gravel, debris, road joint, potholes, etc to deal with, were sometimes full throttle isn't the whole story or the answer to a "win". And in the real world, a stock auto Mustang GT is a formidable street contender against the world's best.

Seriously, how many cars will consistently put up 0 ~ 60MPH times @ 4 seconds. Most cost over $100k.
Learned this the hard way when I was a kid. My older brother was deep into the drag racing underground, occasionally racing for pinks. He had a mid-70s Ford LTD 500. One day he came home with that and a blue with black vinyl roof Challenger, 383 6-pack. He had won the Challenger in a pinks race. For giggles and grins, he tossed me the keys to the 500 and he took the Challenger and we did a quick run. He smoked me. We switched cars. He smoked me even worse. The Challenger was clearly the faster car, but he smoked me with whichever car he drove. He sold the Ford.

He said he had been watching the Challenger for weeks and realized that the previous owner always got a bad launch because he couldn’t control wheel spin. Or was too impressed with his own burnouts. I can understand that, since on this same day, he literally peeled up a small mound of asphalt in front of my mom’s house. When they raced for pinks, he got a great launch and held on to the finish line. He says the Challenger would have caught him had the strip been much longer, but since he got a great launch and the Challenger driver was spinning tires, he got enough of a lead to hang on for the win.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Something to consider, all of the major magazines perform correction factors for their 1/4 mile times. This eliminates the “mineshaft” air factor.

Any time at an actual drag strip or road course however needs to be taken with a grain of salt if tested on different days, as there are a ton of variables. Hell, just changing lanes can knock off a tenth or two in some cases.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
When you own a Camaro you can't even use the 1/4 as a metric because it reaches the end of the track before the staging beam initiates.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It took me a little while to believe that the 6th gen. Camaro. Was an 11 second car stock. But I finally admitted it. Even over on their forum I admitted it. They’ll come around sooner or later. Or they’ll just lie about their mods and pretend they aren’t a little slower. carry on. Business as usual.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I'll never understand the back-and-forth between Chevy and Ford owners.
The two groups just need to high-five and be thankful they're not stuck driving a Chrysler product.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Reminds me of the LS1 crowd claiming “cam only” but hanging the front wheels in the air on a 10 second pass...

It took me a little while to believe that the 6th gen. Camaro. Was an 11 second car stock. But I finally admitted it. Even over on their forum I admitted it. They’ll come around sooner or later. Or they’ll just lie about their mods and pretend they aren’t a little slower. carry on. Business as usual.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Learned this the hard way when I was a kid. My older brother was deep into the drag racing underground, occasionally racing for pinks. He had a mid-70s Ford LTD 500. One day he came home with that and a blue with black vinyl roof Challenger, 383 6-pack. He had won the Challenger in a pinks race. For giggles and grins, he tossed me the keys to the 500 and he took the Challenger and we did a quick run. He smoked me. We switched cars. He smoked me even worse. The Challenger was clearly the faster car, but he smoked me with whichever car he drove. He sold the Ford.

He said he had been watching the Challenger for weeks and realized that the previous owner always got a bad launch because he couldn’t control wheel spin. Or was too impressed with his own burnouts. I can understand that, since on this same day, he literally peeled up a small mound of asphalt in front of my mom’s house. When they raced for pinks, he got a great launch and held on to the finish line. He says the Challenger would have caught him had the strip been much longer, but since he got a great launch and the Challenger driver was spinning tires, he got enough of a lead to hang on for the win.
Back in 1987 we use to race on a road called "Square Barn Road", it was a plain 'ol farm road now unrecognizable with all the houses and malls and stores.

A buddy of mine had a 1970 SS Chevelle big block, radical big block that at the track on slicks was a good 10 second car. One night we ended up next to each other, me in my lowly '85 LX Coupe and him in his monster Chevelle.

Hands go down, I react faster and launch with no spin and get an easy 3 or 4 cars on him while he smokes the tires for a good 500ft.

I won the race, he ripped apart the engine that night swearing up and down he must have blown something. My response was "spinning is losing, spinning for nearly half the race is losing badly". He never raced with street tires again. :lol:

Yes we did race again, the ass whupin I got was epic and expected. :cool:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I'll never understand the back-and-forth between Chevy and Ford owners.
The two groups just need to high-five and be thankful they're not stuck driving a Chrysler product.
:headbang:

We should be wearing our american flag pants, combing our mullets together and high fiving each other..... 'Merica F--- Yeah!
We can beat them damn Jap and You're O Peeing cars for way cheaper.

:p

Sponsored

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Understandable.

i tried again the other night but forgot to turn off traction control and still got a 12.4 at 119mph TC on 2, 3, 4 shifts was like hitting a wall like the engine stalls for the split sec .

with TC off, is it just my car or all gt unpredictably goes sideways, one time in 4th gear scared the begeebers out of me

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Back in 1987 we use to race on a road called "Square Barn Road", it was a plain 'ol farm road now unrecognizable with all the houses and malls and stores.

A buddy of mine had a 1970 SS Chevelle big block, radical big block that at the track on slicks was a good 10 second car. One night we ended up next to each other, me in my lowly '85 LX Coupe and him in his monster Chevelle.

Hands go down, I react faster and launch with no spin and get an easy 3 or 4 cars on him while he smokes the tires for a good 500ft.

I won the race, he ripped apart the engine that night swearing up and down he must have blown something. My response was "spinning is losing, spinning for nearly half the race is losing badly". He never raced with street tires again. :lol:

Yes we did race again, the ass whupin I got was epic and expected. :cool:
I believe this story. I kept up with a 98 supercharged (plus other mods) cobra with my stock 1992 thunderbird super coupe through the eighth mile. Right next to me the whole way spinning badly. His car was clearly faster, but spinning will make you lose to much slower cars. This was many years ago at the strip, but the physics never change.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
MPH is king in the quarter mile when comparing performance. 0-60, quarter mile times are contingent on many factors to include driver skill. MPH shows the cars acceleration potential...

118-120mph trap speed IS an 11 second car with traction, capable driver, gearing, etc.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
This "story telling" is the real truth and enjoyable to read. I enjoy my GT while driving to and from clients as I work in the medical field in 6 counties here in Texas coastal bend & hill country. Carry on.
Sponsored