Sponsored

Carbon Fiber Weight reduction

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My farts will vibrate the engine to pieces.

But c'mon, seriously? Pretty sure Ford has taken all of that into account.......
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My farts will vibrate the engine to pieces.

But c'mon, seriously? Pretty sure Ford has taken all of that into account.......
I agree, but if he goes and removes all the mass dampers (they are attached to the headers), changes to soild motor mounts, changes to a CF drive shaft, everything that Ford has taken into account goes out the window. A single material change can drastically impact the natural frequency and harmonic response of dynamic mechanical systems

BTW..all the mass dampers attached to the tranny weight ~12lbs, definitely dont need those either, chuck em off the car first thing

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree, but if he goes and removes all the mass dampers (they are attached to the headers), changes to soild motor mounts, changes to a CF drive shaft, everything that Ford has taken into account goes out the window. A single material change can drastically impact the natural frequency and harmonic response of dynamic mechanical systems

BTW..all the mass dampers attached to the tranny weight ~12lbs, definitely dont need those either, chuck em off the car first thing
I'm sure the aftermarket will figure something out, at least if not for the driveshaft as a start. The mass dampers of course, that's a different story.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Ford installs those dampers for NVH. I'm not concerned about removing them. The driveshaft is not balanced to the engine. It is netural balanced. I never said anything about removing the engines harmonic balancer. Your not going to find many if any race vehicles with dampers or weights to control NVH. Installing long tube headers, a CF driveshaft, etc is not going to destroy the vehicle. Think of me as you like. I've done it on many vehicles without and harm. As far as solid motor mounts, then I guess all my years of racing and also everyone else in the drag race world is wrong. Solid mounts, engine plates, mid plates are a joke then. The less the engine moves the more power that can be sent to the rear wheels. If you think I'm wrong then maybe you think ford performance, steeda, and all the others that also make solid rear cradle bushing is wrong too. Because anytime you install a solid bushing or mount the NVH is going to increase. If I wanted a quiet car I would of bought a luxury vehicle not a sports/muscle car.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You seem to be only concerned about the noise aspect and are completely sidestepping the vibration aspect of NVH. Access vibration if not properly damped/attenuated can lead to actual part failure. Removing all the dampers and stiffening the mounts does not come free, it may translate more power to the ground, but it also translates more stress directly into the drive line components and every bracket and fastener used to secure them.

As for race vehicles with dampers and weights, please look at the IMSA GT350RCs

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
You seem to be only concerned about the noise aspect and are completely sidestepping the vibration aspect of NVH. Access vibration if not properly damped/attenuated can lead to actual part failure. Removing all the dampers and stiffening the mounts does not come free, it may translate more power to the ground, but it also translates more stress directly into the drive line components and every bracket and fastener used to secure them.

As for race vehicles with dampers and weights, please look at the IMSA GT350RCs
No I actually understand. Don't think I'm the only one to do this. You're talking road racing. I'm talking short 1/4 mile racing

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In that case, have at it. But why drop a ton on carbon ceramic rotors for a drag application? Why not just ditch the stock brakes all together for a smaller lightweight drag setup?

the_nash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nash
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Red/White Stripe - Tech Package
This carbon based life form will be eating more fiber in hopes of weight reduction to my fat ass. That should really get things moving.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Better get out the economy size tube of Lock-tite.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
In that case, have at it. But why drop a ton on carbon ceramic rotors for a drag application? Why not just ditch the stock brakes all together for a smaller lightweight drag setup?
Because I have a drag race only car, this will be dual purpose

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
but... you... you just said 1/4 mile...

Just remember these aren't normal flat plane crank engines! They have a weird firing order.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Tech Package
I need to lose about 20lbs before my GT350 arrives. A diet is a lot cheaper than Carbon Fiber parts.
Sponsored