Sponsored

Car and Driver Camaro SS Long Term Test Review

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Please explain in engineering terms why this is so.
Not sure, but engines cannot be over or underrated anymore. The LT1's are pretty much the same. I believe the SAE certification on the LT1 in the Camaro is 458. For what ever reason, its more efficient.

Edit: I cannot explain the engineering. But two third party tuners have tested manual LT1s, in the Camaro and Vette, back to back, and both times, the Camaro put down better numbers. Albeit very small.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don't know why GM has to play these silly games with the Corvette/Camaro. It's the exact same motor and transmission. Horsepower will be exactly the same in both cars. I highly doubt a Camaro is some how more efficient than a Corvette when the same components are being used. I don't care what Hennessey's test of a 2016 Camaro VS a 2014 Corvette say! Unless GM made revisions to the motor and didn't advertise them. Which is quite possible considering the trouble they were having with the LT1 when it was first launched. That would be the only explanation on a power gap between a 14 to a 16 model year. It's the same crap today as it was with the LS1s back in the late 90s. It insults the inteligence of every Corvette owner that slaps down 65 grand on one of GMs cars. You paid more so your engine has 10 more HP.;););)

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I don't know why GM has to play these silly games with the Corvette/Camaro. It's the exact same motor and transmission. Horsepower will be exactly the same in both cars. I highly doubt a Camaro is some how more efficient than a Corvette when the same components are being used. I don't care what Hennessey's test of a 2016 Camaro VS a 2014 Corvette say! Unless GM made revisions to the motor and didn't advertise them. Which is quite possible considering the trouble they were having with the LT1 when it was first launched. It's the same crap today as it was with the LS1s back in the late 90s.
The engines are not identical. The SS has tri-y headers and the Vette doesn't. This maybe the reason the SS has dynoed higher numbers.:shrug:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ok the stock Camaro dynos 21 more wheel HP than a Corvette. Traps the exact same speed as a Corvette and matches it's ETs despite being about 300 pounds heavier and not having the mechanical advantages of the Vette.(wider tires, Better Aero, etc.) Got it. I need to just stay out of the VS section.

Sponsored

MagGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
How does the Challenger Scat Pack turn in roughly the same numbers as A8 Camaro SS's despite having only 30HP/20TQ more but weighing in over 500lbs heavier?

Sometimes they just do, things happen that don't necessarily make any sense.
Well the challenger Scat Pack does not turn the same numbers to the SS. its acutally close to the mustang

scroll down this page to the test results:
http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

That is almost identical to the mustang and old camaro, not the new one. So yes, despite have 50 more horsepower and 75 more torques, weight plays a huge factor. the scat pack is much more in line with the 15 stang than it is with the apparently corvette-camaro.

MagGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
It's gotta be GM sending Ringers to magazines. Not great air with a great driver.
again dude, im not saying its rigged, im not saying they have been paid off, but think logically. that doesnt make sense. the alpha platform is that that good to stave off almost 500lbs, better aero, bigger and grippier tires, and more crank hp and torque.

just doesnt make sense. i would say the same thing if the mustang put down weird numbers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure, but engines cannot be over or underrated anymore.
So explain this: when the Z28 was tested vs. the GT350R they were run on the dyno. The Z28 is rated at 505 HP at the crank. It put down 469 at the tires. The GT350R is rated at 526. It put down 471.

OP
OP

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Has anyone tested an a8 camaro vs an a8 corvette? Even on dyno and quarter mile? My point is that, the manual camaro is rocking a 6 speed gear box versus the vette's 7 speed! If you think about it, the friction loss on the corvette might be higher due to the extra gearing. I don't know the gear ratios but the camaro might be geared more aggressively due to its extra weight too.

What about the weight distribution? How much weight is in the back of the camaro vs vette? I know vette is almost 50/50 but how does it compared to the camaro's rear weight figure? The last one would be, comparing the rear wheel and tire weight combos. If camaro has a less rotational mass then we might have a gt350 vs gt350r all over again. Lot of variables to consider here.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
So explain this: when the Z28 was tested vs. the GT350R they were run on the dyno. The Z28 is rated at 505 HP at the crank. It put down 469 at the tires. The GT350R is rated at 526. It put down 471.
Dyno numbers are not an exact science. Not sure why that Z/28 was dynoing that high. But for several members here that are saying GM is lying, or paying off mags.....it's super childish. The Camaro does in fact have a slightly different LT1 with tri-y headers. But the SAE certification has a difference of 3hp in the Camaro's favor. This isn't the same performance division from GM lol. In the past they have detuned the Camaro to keep it off the Vette. Now they are running virtually the same set up. The Vette is still faster if we're looking at best vs best 1/4 mile times. You can't compare the best Camaro vs just a good run from the Vette.

Sponsored

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
I am likely going to piss a few people off but so be it.
Both the camaro and the mustang are fine cars in my opinion.
I chose the mustang for several reasons....some obviously choose the camaro instead.
But I think both are good cars actually.
What is great is to see people still buying sports cars and some with a shift lever in them to.
Nice alternative to the all too damn many automatic camrys and cruzs I see on the roads.
I would choose the mustang again if buying a new car tomorrow.
Doesn't mean as adults we need to bash on the camaro.
I am glad GM is still keeping it alive and offering it with 3 pedals as well.
Sponsored