Sponsored

Can't keep back of car/decklid clean

Atlantamustang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Compitition Orange
Hey guys new poster here. I have a 16 CO GT base package with spoiler delete. I have noticed I can clean the car and after driving down the road and back the back end esp the black trunk decklid gets covered in what looks to be just regular dust maybe a mix of brake dust. It wipes right off but it is driving me crazy. It gets all over tail lights as well. Anyone else experience this? I am thinking of maybe swapping out the back pads to see if that helps or I was also thinking it was from not having a spoiler. Help.
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Is the dust oily? An old family volvo was burning oil, and although not after one drive, after a little the backside of the car had the burnt exhaust oil clinging to it.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
It's not brake dust, don't waste your money. It's just ordinary road dirt collecting due to the aerodynamics of the car. We all deal with it.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Hey guys new poster here. I have a 16 CO GT base package with spoiler delete. I have noticed I can clean the car and after driving down the road and back the back end esp the black trunk decklid gets covered in what looks to be just regular dust maybe a mix of brake dust. It wipes right off but it is driving me crazy. It gets all over tail lights as well. Anyone else experience this? I am thinking of maybe swapping out the back pads to see if that helps or I was also thinking it was from not having a spoiler. Help.
It's just normal dirt due to aerodynamics of the air going over the top of the car, over the spoiler, coming back to smack the decklid. It's a horrible dust-magnet and just looks significantly worse due to the black glossy sheen where you'll see every little spec possible.

There's not really much you can do outside of constantly cleaning it or going to a different look like a matte/wrap or different decklid that won't show the dust/dirt like the gloss back which is just about the worst material/color combo for it.

OP
OP

Atlantamustang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response guys. I first was worried it was coming from exhaust but it is dry dust and exhaust is clean as a whistle. I guess I'll just have to get used to it and dust it off every so often. Trying not to be so OCD but that glossy decklid will test you.

Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
yup im thinking of getting rid of my blank decklid for the matte one from mmd, will be much easier to clean!

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
have your vehicle ceramic coated. it resists dirt etc easier and also makes cleaning a hell of a lot easier

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Every inch of my car is ceramic coated, and while it's easier to clean...still a dust magnet.

svtsupremacy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Same problem on my GT. I just try and keep the car waxed, and quick detail that rear decklid from time to time.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's the aerodynamic of the car. Road dust likes to build up on the back end of the car.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It's just normal dirt due to aerodynamics of the air going over the top of the car, over the spoiler, coming back to smack the decklid. It's a horrible dust-magnet and just looks significantly worse due to the black glossy sheen where you'll see every little spec possible.

There's not really much you can do outside of constantly cleaning it or going to a different look like a matte/wrap or different decklid that won't show the dust/dirt like the gloss back which is just about the worst material/color combo for it.
Kind of, but very much no. The air over the vehicle is largely unbroken and very fast. Behind the vehicle you will have a low pressure cortex created largely by the turbulent air from underneath. This causes dust and road grime to swirl back up and stick to your ass.

You can reduce it with a spoiler and diffuser combo which would push the negative vortices out further, but just wash your car.

OP
OP

Atlantamustang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think your right about it coming from up under the car because it gets all over the bumper you just can't see it like you can on that glossy black. I figured too that it could be worse because I don't have a spoiler. I keep it clean, it seems to stick out worst when it is clean almost looks like a glittery dust/sand that clings to it like a magnet like you guys said. Not that big a deal I just hate having to dust it off all the time
I checked the matte black one out by MMD, looks pretty good. I may go with that one.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Everyone's nailed it; it's the aerodynamics of the car and we just have to live with it.

If you think it's bad on a fastback, it's worse on a convertible, especially with the top down.

Each time I drive mine, I wipe it down before I put her to bed--it just goes with the territory.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
All this wiping of dust going on lol. I can just picture swirl city

Leave the dust! The only time it should ever be wiped off is when your washing it. Does more harm than good.
Sponsored