Sponsored

Cabin filter access

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
In my wife’s old ford era Volvo c30 it required removing of the gas pedal to access.. at least this isn’t that. My Japanese cars it’s a 20 second process
Sponsored

rpinkstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Magnetic Metallic
OP -

My wife has a 2017 GT. When I changed the cabin air filter I had to completely remove that panel under the glove box. Even with that panel completely out of the way the process was a complete PITA. The filrer housing is curved and mostly blocked by dash components, wiring harnesses, etc. Get the panel out of the way, then you can reach the the filter through the glove box opening and from under the glove box cavity at the same time.

When I bought my wife's Mustang for her one lf the very first things I did was change all the fluids and filters including the cabin air filter. Of all that maintenance work, the cabin air filter was the only thing that made me cuss Ford engineers - profusely! The location and configuration of the cabin air filter housing is....stupid. Like someone else said, cabin air filter replacement on my Japanese vehicles (Toyotas in my case) is a 20 second process. Not on an S550.

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
OP -

My wife has a 2017 GT. When I changed the cabin air filter I had to completely remove that panel under the glove box. Even with that panel completely out of the way the process was a complete PITA. The filrer housing is curved and mostly blocked by dash components, wiring harnesses, etc. Get the panel out of the way, then you can reach the the filter through the glove box opening and from under the glove box cavity at the same time.

When I bought my wife's Mustang for her one lf the very first things I did was change all the fluids and filters including the cabin air filter. Of all that maintenance work, the cabin air filter was the only thing that made me cuss Ford engineers - profusely! The location and configuration of the cabin air filter housing is....stupid. Like someone else said, cabin air filter replacement on my Japanese vehicles (Toyotas in my case) is a 20 second process. Not on an S550.
Agree! In that car, it's hard to access the air cabin filter just to replace it. Those engineers build a mase out there, so you can't do many things yourself.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
so you can't do many things yourself.
I think that’s part of the calculus when they design such things. They want owners to take the cars to the dealers for service for even the simplest of things, or at least that’s the impression they give by the placement of such things.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP I’m glad you were able to figure out the process to change the cabin air filter. 👍

My only question is, why on Earth would you want that stinky ass washable and overpriced filter from K&N?? You ain’t getting more horsepower through your AC vent! 🤣 K&N branded cabin air filters are overrated. It’s also overpriced because it is washable I know, but all that dust, dirt and grime builds up in the fibers and stinks overtime. So much better to go with the cheaper $12 filters as once they get dirty you can insert a new fresh one.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP I’m glad you were able to figure out the process to change the cabin air filter. 👍

My only question is, why on Earth would you want that stinky ass washable and overpriced filter from K&N?? You ain’t getting more horsepower through your AC vent! 🤣 K&N branded cabin air filters are overrated. It’s also overpriced because it is washable I know, but all that dust, dirt and grime builds up in the fibers and stinks overtime. So much better to go with the cheaper $12 filters as once they get dirty you can insert a new fresh one.
I would agree. I like the washable air filters and have never had an issue getting them clean. And if there’s a little bit of moisture left, the air moving through the intake will dry it out pretty quick as will the under hood temps.

The cabin filter I’ve always just used the OEM filter and throw it away when it’s time to be changed. Need to make sure it’s cleaned out all the way then dried out 100% before putting back in so you don’t get a musty smell in the car.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I would agree. I like the washable air filters and have never had an issue getting them clean. And if there’s a little bit of moisture left, the air moving through the intake will dry it out pretty quick as will the under hood temps.

The cabin filter I’ve always just used the OEM filter and throw it away when it’s time to be changed. Need to make sure it’s cleaned out all the way then dried out 100% before putting back in so you don’t get a musty smell in the car.
That musk smell from the AC vent isn’t the same musk as the bottled fragrance sold at department stores that is for sure!! 🤣

🤢🤮

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Come on folks it is not that serious. Mustangs are incredible easy to work on actually lol

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
I think that’s part of the calculus when they design such things. They want owners to take the cars to the dealers for service for even the simplest of things, or at least that’s the impression they give by the placement of such things.
That's the point. They don't want us to repair our own cars anymore. That's why they make things so complicated and you can break everything by accidentally pressing a wrong button.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Also, many cabin filters are impregnated with charcoal/carbon to absorb odors and such and like you say you just trash them when they get filthy.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I replaced mine with the WIX one, and the problem I had with it was the structure was so weak that as I fed it in, it would collapse from the force I placed on it. I was thinking the k&n filter would be better in that regard. Any input on that?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I replaced mine with the WIX one, and the problem I had with it was the structure was so weak that as I fed it in, it would collapse from the force I placed on it. I was thinking the k&n filter would be better in that regard. Any input on that?
On a GM vehicle I sprayed the track the filter slides into with silicone spray so it would easily slide in.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Does a convertible cabin filter need to be replaced on any rational schedule like hard tops?
Unless you have the climate controls set to off most of the time, the filter should be changed per the schedule in your owners manual or you can remove it and inspect it.
Sponsored