Sponsored

cabin air filter

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Heh, wondering what the purpose is for the little flap "door" in that felt behind the glove box. At first, I thought that was the access for the cabin air filter. Nope. You need to get that out through the bottom after flipping the glove box all the way down so you can see what you're doing. Then remove the T20 torx screw to open the plastic access door and THEN pull the old filter out through the bottom. A rather unfriendly design just to change the filter. Seems like about 5 more minutes of forethought and they could have made the access panel a bit easier to reach.

The good news...even though it's a pain in the ass, it still only takes about 5 minutes....maybe 3 if you're a contortionist. :)

You definitely want to change that puppy at least annually. Mine was BLACK after only 1 year of mostly highway miles on paved roads. Was only $11.66 + shipping for original Motorcraft replacement on rockauto.

Best,
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this info!

tx91_stang

GT S550
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Vehicle(s)
'15 Race Red Mustang GT
Good info!

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Heh, wondering what the purpose is for the little flap "door" in that felt behind the glove box. At first, I thought that was the access for the cabin air filter. Nope. You need to get that out through the bottom after flipping the glove box all the way down so you can see what you're doing. Then remove the T20 torx screw to open the plastic access door and THEN pull the old filter out through the bottom. A rather unfriendly design just to change the filter. Seems like about 5 more minutes of forethought and they could have made the access panel a bit easier to reach.

The good news...even though it's a pain in the ass, it still only takes about 5 minutes....maybe 3 if you're a contortionist. :)

You definitely want to change that puppy at least annually. Mine was BLACK after only 1 year of mostly highway miles on paved roads. Was only $11.66 + shipping for original Motorcraft replacement on rockauto.

Best,
Agreed, my car has 18k on it now and i had for a little over a year. The air coming out of the vents started being pretty smelly recently so i had to change it.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red

Best,
I haven't done it on the Mustang yet, but it can't be as bad as replacing the cabin air filter on the ford fiesta. THAT was a pain in the ass.

Sponsored

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
BTW, your answer to your original question. That little flap is used for your car's manual. So it doesn't take up room in your glove box. Well, that's what I use it for. It makes sense since it fits perfectly in the little spot.

OP
OP

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
BTW, your answer to your original question. That little flap is used for your car's manual. So it doesn't take up room in your glove box. Well, that's what I use it for. It makes sense since it fits perfectly in the little spot.
LOL

I know all about the manual compartment. I'm talking about the flap BEHIND the glove compartment. You'll see it if you flip it all the way open. You'll need to pop the little arm out of the hole on the right side and then hold in the two rubber stoppers so that they clear the opening. That will let the door flop all the way open so you can see behind it. Then you'll see the flap in the felt that I am talking about.

Best,

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Dealership changed mine last Tue for free (extended warranty)...took the mech 5 mins or so. At the time I had a hair over 18k miles and its recommended that the filter be changed every 20k miles.
Sponsored