Sponsored

Brushing/Groaning Noise From Rear When Turning (differential?)

Blue1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost (100A pkg)
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a brushing/groaning noise when making tight turns, particularly in reverse. Wasn’t sure where it was coming from at first, but now I’m confident it is coming from the rear.

After a while of trying isolate the noise, I’ve narrowed it down as follows:

- More noticeable when turning left and in reverse at low speeds

- Seems to start when the steering wheel goes beyond 1 full revolution

- Affected by temperature. I can always hear the noise when I back out of my driveway after the car has been sitting all night. But after driving for a while, it’s not as loud when performing the same manoeuvres in parking lots etc. This makes me think it could be in the differential (noise goes away as it warms up).

- It is amplified during cold times. In the fall/winter, I drive 25min to work and can still hear it turning into parking lot. Not so after the same commute during summer.

- I have not noticed any unusual wear on tires. I swap between winters and summers 2x a year and inspect treads each time.

First time I recall hearing it was around 11,000 miles/18,000 kms.

The manual does say some "vibration" during low-speed turns is normal with the LSD. However, I would really like to get to the bottom of it before the powertrain warranty expires in a few months.

I have the 3.15 ratio axle. Looking for others' experiences or theories.
Sponsored

ctang101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a brushing/groaning noise when making tight turns, particularly in reverse. Wasn’t sure where it was coming from at first, but now I’m confident it is coming from the rear.

After a while of trying isolate the noise, I’ve narrowed it down as follows:

- More noticeable when turning left and in reverse at low speeds

- Seems to start when the steering wheel goes beyond 1 full revolution

- Affected by temperature. I can always hear the noise when I back out of my driveway after the car has been sitting all night. But after driving for a while, it’s not as loud when performing the same manoeuvres in parking lots etc. This makes me think it could be in the differential (noise goes away as it warms up).

- It is amplified during cold times. In the fall/winter, I drive 25min to work and can still hear it turning into parking lot. Not so after the same commute during summer.

- I have not noticed any unusual wear on tires. I swap between winters and summers 2x a year and inspect treads each time.

First time I recall hearing it was around 11,000 miles/18,000 kms.

The manual does say some "vibration" during low-speed turns is normal with the LSD. However, I would really like to get to the bottom of it before the powertrain warranty expires in a few months.

I have the 3.15 ratio axle. Looking for others' experiences or theories.
Did you ever find out what was causing the noise? Mine has very similar symptoms as yours.

OP
OP
Blue1

Blue1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost (100A pkg)
Did you ever find out what was causing the noise? Mine has very similar symptoms as yours.
I finally took it to the dealer to get diagnosed and they said it was worn clutch discs in the rear diff. They replaced the clutch pack and also put some motorcraft friction modifier in the diff. It’s completely silent now, but I wonder if thats the friction modifier helping.

This was covered under the 5yr powertrain warranty.
Sponsored