Brake squeal after new pads and rotors

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2016 Mustang GT. Front brake squeal at low speed stops. I replaced pads and rotors (power stop) on the front 4 piston brakes. I can't get the low speed squeal to stop. I pulled everything apart and cleaned up everything and re-lube it. I also used a die grinder with a scuff pad on the edges of the new pads. The shim's are new with the pads and it's driving me nuts! Any thoughts since im going to dive into it again this afternoon.
Thanks
Sponsored

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Did you do the pad bedding procedure?

Iā€˜m running the PowerStop Z26 and have no issues after bedding them.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Indeed it is an annoying and frustrating issue. It sounds like you've investigated numerous potential sources as I would have. I've have two potential sources.

1) Some brake pads are more prone to being noisy than others. Since going to the medium/upper-end ceramic pads over the last decade, Iā€™ve not experienced that problem. But thatā€™s not to say ceramic pads always prevent this issue.

2) The issue Iā€™ve had has been fixed by applying a disc brake quieting solution. I use CRCā€™s product called ā€œDisc Brake Quietā€, which comes in a 4oz bottle. It is pink so when you apply it, you will want to limit itā€™s application to non-visible surfaces. There may be other products that are black or dark gray for better aesthetics. I just use CRC because I've had the bottle for years.

Anyway, here's a link to help understand application.

OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've used the spray can version of that in the past and it's pretty good. The last several times I've done brakes on my other vehicles I've been using Honda assembly paste with zero issues. Maybe it's time too switch back.
Thanks

OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes I did, I use power stop on everything and follow what they recommend.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Yes I did, I use power stop on everything and follow what they recommend.
Hey I had a similar issue when running my power stop Z26 pads and rotors. I followed the break in procedure to the T and actually ended up having little to no stopping power. This was on my third set so I felt confident in my ability to bed them in correctly. I ended up contacting power stop and they sent me a new set free of charge. They said that I probably received a bad batch of pads and that the new ones would work fine.

After switching the pads out the new ones worked like a charm and I found the old pads had glazed, so definitely an issue with the pad compound. And tbh its not uncommon to see pad manufacturers have bad batches of pads. I had a set of carbotechs do the same thing.

Call Powerstop and I'm sure they'll send you a new set!

OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I will give them a call. Thanks

OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just getting back into this thing. Had a spinal fusion and I'm healed enough to start working on it again. The noise is insane only at a low speed. I've had this thing apart 4 times. Everything is clean and lubed and the pads have disc brake quite on them. I'm going to pull it apart again and turn the rotors since they have about 3K miles on them. It put Power Stop pads on it and this is the 1st problem I've had with them. So should I go with OE pads or something else? I'm kinda short on time to get it done and I'm not sure the dealer has OE in stock. I'll check on that tomorrow if not aftermarket it is. I just can't for the life of me figure this out. It's nothing out of the ordinary just the premium front brake with 4 piston calipers. Help!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
kinda late response but i had the same issue with powerstop z26 even after following the break in procedure. finally took the car to the tail of the dragon and after some heavy braking it stopped doing it. havent heard a squeak from the brakes since the trip and this was back in May. the rotors did turn a bit blue and they were smokey towards the end of a couple of runs, so they def got enough heat and pad material on the rotors, never felt any brake fade.

some pads need real heat to properly break in.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
NC is a little far from NJ but I'm sure I can find something up here and smoke the dog sh1t out of them! Talked to a master Ford tech and he was scratching his head since I did everything the correct way. I'm lost with this thing!

OP
OP

Wagntwister

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
NC is a little far from NJ but I'm sure I can find something up here and smoke the dog sh1t out of them! Talked to a master Ford tech and he was scratching his head since I did everything the correct way. I'm loss with this thing!

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
My experience with the Powerstop pads on my front 4 piston EB PP car is that they squeal on first use if parked outside overnight (dew=rust). No noise after first use. Squeals each morning. OEM's didn't do that. If I bed the living hell out of them I get a couple of days no squeal but it returns after a few days. The PS pads don't appear to transfer enough material to the rotors to entirely stop squeal and/or I didn't get the shims installed in the right order and/or the tolerances are slightly different. The OEM Motorcraft parts include a complete set of shims while the PS do not. I did clean and re-use the shims but still have squeal on first use. Brake grease on contact points. New slide pins and retainer. Meticulous job but still squeak.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
The squeek seems to be a common issue.

I still have the factory pads on mine (only 21,000km on the car) and they squeek unless I do extremely light braking. Going to look at these PS Z26 though as I have heard good things. Just need to find a place in the GTA that will do them for me :)

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'd stay away from the power stops pads. I've used factory pp1 pads, hawk 5.0 and the Z26. The only ones to squeak were the Z26s.
Sponsored