Borla ATAK 3" system - legal in CA?

OP
OP

veeATE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I really did get unlucky guys - the CHP must of had a slow night. It was late at night and I was just going to McDonalds driving exactly the speed limit cruising in 5th gear, was not speeding or doing anything crazy, and then the CHP made a 180 turn and lit me up. This was not on the highway either, just the regular streets but CHP can pull you over anywhere. The cop thought I was part of those notorious racing groups (there are a ton of them here in LA, where they do take overs of the streets and such).

The cause he used to pull me over was that my high beams were on, which is NOT true... he wrote me up for that and then said my exhaust was too loud (which is BS since I know its not loud at all in 5th gear, but he saw the Borla on it and knew it was an aftermarket exhaust). And then asked me to pop my hood and got me for the intake too since I didn't have the CARB sticker.

However, the violation in question here that I'm most concerned about is:
"27156(b) VC mod intake, no CARB sticker + excess exhaust"

This is not just a "Fix-it" ticket - it's a state ref ticket and it clearly says "no officer sign off" - so I'm really hoping the Borla ATAK is acceptable and below 95dB.

The intake part is taken care of - I'm switching that back to stock - I don't really have a need for it anyway, as I don't have much mods to my car. Just need to know about the exhaust - do I need to source a stock exhaust? Or will the Borla ATAK pass the state ref check when it comes time to do so?
Sponsored

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
SUB...

I just bought the Ataks Axle backs. i have the Ford Racing Sports cat backs. but i wanted something a little louder...

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Worst part about CARB is it has no governing body to keep it honest. It exists under the guise of clean air but in reality, they couldnt care less about clean air, they just want money. I had to smog my '11 diesel (bought in CA) because I was an out of state resident. If I was a CA resident, I would have been exempt just like the gasoline vehicles for the first five or six years like other new vehicles.

If they really cared, they would hook the vehicles up to the sniffer and if they passed, you'd be on your way. Add in the cost for the aftermarket to become CARB compliant and you truly start to hate the organization at every level. On another note, "CARB" stickers are easy to find...
I feel sorry for you guys in California. I also am a firearm enthusiast. It sounds like the California legislature is all into your personal lives. I read an article about businesses leaving your state in droves because of over regulation and high taxes. I understand California is a beautiful state. But I could never live there because many of my guns are not Cali compliant. Neither is my car. Nor my mind set for that matter. :frusty:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I feel sorry for you guys in California. I also am a firearm enthusiast. It sounds like the California legislature is all into your personal lives. I read an article about businesses leaving your state in droves because of over regulation and high taxes. I understand California is a beautiful state. But I could never live there because many of my guns are not Cali compliant. Neither is my car. Nor my mind set for that matter. :frusty:
yup, yup, and yup.

never moving from the south!

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It is a shame because there is so much to do, so close. The gun laws are ridiculous but they're getting a bit better (CCWs are finally being issued as they always should have been) the past two-three years.

I've read that there has been a big crack down on aftermarket parts lately. CA law enforcement goes in waves with things like this to generate revenue. For the most part, everyone is "normal" there. The problem we have is there are so many damn transplants (now I'm the transplant LOL).

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I really did get unlucky guys - the CHP must of had a slow night. It was late at night and I was just going to McDonalds driving exactly the speed limit cruising in 5th gear, was not speeding or doing anything crazy, and then the CHP made a 180 turn and lit me up. This was not on the highway either, just the regular streets but CHP can pull you over anywhere. The cop thought I was part of those notorious racing groups (there are a ton of them here in LA, where they do take overs of the streets and such).

The cause he used to pull me over was that my high beams were on, which is NOT true... he wrote me up for that and then said my exhaust was too loud (which is BS since I know its not loud at all in 5th gear, but he saw the Borla on it and knew it was an aftermarket exhaust). And then asked me to pop my hood and got me for the intake too since I didn't have the CARB sticker.

However, the violation in question here that I'm most concerned about is:
"27156(b) VC mod intake, no CARB sticker + excess exhaust"

This is not just a "Fix-it" ticket - it's a state ref ticket and it clearly says "no officer sign off" - so I'm really hoping the Borla ATAK is acceptable and below 95dB.

The intake part is taken care of - I'm switching that back to stock - I don't really have a need for it anyway, as I don't have much mods to my car. Just need to know about the exhaust - do I need to source a stock exhaust? Or will the Borla ATAK pass the state ref check when it comes time to do so?
If loudness is the problem, you could pick up a borla resonator and swap the xpipe for it. Should bring the volume down considerably.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to court. Tell the judge it is an "undocumented part". Kinda like the "undocumented aliens" coming into our country the state is doing nothing about. j/k *Edit* The most aggravating part about this is selective law enforcement. They single you out for what are BS basically laws and let major things go. If law enforcement are going to enforce laws then enforce them all. Not the ones they arbitrarily chose.
Sponsored

Last edited: