Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Could just be that a larger percentage of PP owners work on, tinker with, or modify their cars, and are therefore noticing/checking for more issues?
Hard to say. The issues that I've experienced (clicking and a wiggly feeling) wouldn't necessarily be a concern or even noticeable for people who treat their cars as appliances, but I like to give Mustang owners in general (especially GT/GT350 owners) more credit than that.
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Would this also show its face as what seems to be a wheel out of balance?

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Would this also show its face as what seems to be a wheel out of balance?
Some have just had the noise when applying or removing a load from the drivetrain that had no other issues besides the noise.

Some have had the noise and wheel bearing issues that allowed the wheel itself to be wobbled by hand on a lift or jack stands.

I think the folks that have had it bad enough to be able to wobble the wheel when its off the ground would be better suited to answer your specific question.

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
This is so pathetic. They have been making axles before any of us existed. Why such a issue of nuts loosening? You guys with aftermarket axles, I suppose you have no issues at all. Correct?

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
In defense of these sort of issues, it is tough to nail down engineering to a point that it will result in 100% success for years and miles to come.

OEMs have checks and processes in place to address issues that are outside of limits.

With any high volume scenario, if a certain % of issues is reported or known, the issue will likely be resolved. Or so we hope!

As for the castle nut - that would be more of a safety feature and I am not sure I see the need for it in this case. The castle nut would ensure the nuts do not fully remove themselves from the shaft assembly for a safety net. It is likely that slightly loosened nuts would still cause wheel bearing and other issues even with castle nuts with pins etc in place.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Some have just had the noise when applying or removing a load from the drivetrain that had no other issues besides the noise.

Some have had the noise and wheel bearing issues that allowed the wheel itself to be wobbled by hand on a lift or jack stands.

I think the folks that have had it bad enough to be able to wobble the wheel when its off the ground would be better suited to answer your specific question.
I need to stop being lazy and check mine.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In defense of these sort of issues, it is tough to nail down engineering to a point that it will result in 100% success for years and miles to come.

OEMs have checks and processes in place to address issues that are outside of limits.

With any high volume scenario, if a certain % of issues is reported or known, the issue will likely be resolved. Or so we hope!

As for the castle nut - that would be more of a safety feature and I am not sure I see the need for it in this case. The castle nut would ensure the nuts do not fully remove themselves from the shaft assembly for a safety net. It is likely that slightly loosened nuts would still cause wheel bearing and other issues even with castle nuts with pins etc in place.
Any threaded rod that rotates should be using castle nuts with pins, IMO. As you even said, "safety feature".

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Any threaded rod that rotates should be using castle nuts with pins, IMO. As you even said, "safety feature".
Is your crankshaft, Camshafts, driveshaft / driveline, pinion gear, input and output shafts castled and pinned? :shrug:

Sponsored
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Nonetheless, the issues I see are more along the lines of improper clamping force.

I can't say I have had anyone have the nut fall off yet.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Nonetheless, the issues I see are more along the lines of improper clamping force.

I can't say I have had anyone have the nut fall off yet.
That's a degree of excitement I'm not ready to experience.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is your crankshaft, Camshafts, driveshaft / driveline, pinion gear, input and output shafts castled and pinned? :shrug:
Seriously? I think you took what I was saying out of context. Crankshaft? really?

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Sub great info, what size socket is needed to tighten the bolt, thanks.

Last edited:

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Status
Not open for further replies.