Sponsored

Blocking hood vent above open (Steeda) CAI...

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Putting in a double ZR1 sunroof in the hood? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
Some of you people worry way to much or don't know enough. Don't modify the car if your worried about water getting to a open filter element. Unless you drive into a lake, the filter is going to stay dry.

Sponsored

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
pressure release?

1. It doesn't seal. The front side are still open when the hood is closed.
2. The vents aren't for cooling, they are for pressure release.

Jump to about the 1:30 mark.

hi stoli, any write ups on that ? thanks, tom

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Ran across this today:

Looks like more than just a little thought went into those vents ;)
Great then some smartass decided to put turn signal lights on the vents for the 2016 models to minimize the opening:doh:

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I thought about that as well. Turn signals take up most of the vent.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I have been worried about the same issue, I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a Steeda Intake and Tune bundle for a couple weeks now, but I'm afraid of the water that will get in it when I leave it parked outside all day during rain storms and during the trips to a car wash.
Don't worry about it. I washed my car (GT PP with steeda intake) last night, sprayed water at the vent for an easy 20-30 seconds and opened the hood, not even a drop in the intake box. I'll be selling my steeda intake in a week or two if you're interested. Installing a GT350 one for the OEM look.

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
We wash our cars sometimes twice a week here. When we dry them off we notice some water on the bottom of the air box and some droplets on the filter itself - this is normal and will not hurt anything, that is the point of the filter, to prevent things like dirt and even water from entering the combustion chamber.

Unless you are squirting the hose directly into the hood vent and saturating the filter to the point that it is a sponge, you will be fine. Furthermore, when the car is moving in a forward direction, that vent will be blowing air out of it so in that situation water will not have a chance to get into the engine compartment.

OP
OP
COYOTEV8

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
We wash our cars sometimes twice a week here. When we dry them off we notice some water on the bottom of the air box and some droplets on the filter itself - this is normal and will not hurt anything, that is the point of the filter, to prevent things like dirt and even water from entering the combustion chamber.

Unless you are squirting the hose directly into the hood vent and saturating the filter to the point that it is a sponge, you will be fine. Furthermore, when the car is moving in a forward direction, that vent will be blowing air out of it so in that situation water will not have a chance to get into the engine compartment.
David,

So what is your advise about the touchless car washes at the gas stations? Does it worth to tape down the vent for the time I pass under such a car wash, or just forget about it?

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
David,

So what is your advise about the touchless car washes at the gas stations? Does it worth to tape down the vent for the time I pass under such a car wash, or just forget about it?
Hey, good question. Honestly all of those car washes differ, some throw more water than others, at different angles, etc.

The safest bet would be to tape it up for the few minutes you're in there, although when we've seen someone go through the car wash with our CAI, the filter is wet but not saturated - nothing to the point of affecting the engine in our opinion.

Just as a side note, those touchless car washes use a lot of detergents in the soap to clean the car, which can in some cases strip the wax from the car. If you're in a pinch, go for it - but it may not be a good long-term car cleaning route :)

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Plus, a little water is fine for the motor anyways. It steam cleans the combustion chamber and keeps your valves from sticking.
Sponsored